July 2017 Moms
Options

Can I Eat That?

2»

Re: Can I Eat That?

• Options
    I actually had a few drinks with baby #1. My doctor said a little was fine. I don't love alcohol all that much but in some situations it was nice to loosen up a bit. 

I think the rules are waaaay exaggerated. Everything is risky. They find listeria in hummus and ice cream. Eventually we run out of things to eat. I personally did steer clear off anything raw and deli meats. Not because I was worried but because I didn't think it was worth fighting over. DH was a real pain about all this. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    stokesm21 said:
    Otherwise, my prime craving at the moment is salad oddly enough.  Lately I've just been eating it plain with dressing.  Sometimes 2 bowls in a row.  Ain't nothing wrong with that LOL!      

My Dr told me to give up coffee altogether. *eye*roll* I've only ever drank 1 cup a day since I can remember.  I still drink it.
    First time around I ate salad like crazy. All I wanted during my first trimester was salads or fruit. 

As for coffee. I was told to stay under 200mg. A typical cup is 75. I just have my morning cup and decaf later. I thought it would be impossible but I got used to it eventually. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Can I eat burrata if it's made with pasteurized milk? Please say yes.
    TTC #1: 4/16
    BFP #1: 5/16
    MMC at 8 weeks: 6/16
    BFP #2: 10/16 
    Sweet baby boy arrived 7/7/17!
  • Options
    FWIW my OBGYN told me he's been practicing for 43 years and has never seen a case of Listeria, including from lunchmeat. I plan on being cautious with lunch meat and heating stuff up thoroughly, but I think pasteurized products should be fine.
  • Options
    @leilac,
    I am following the rule 'if its pasteurizedit's okay'.
    From a fellow cheese-lover 

• Options
    I like your rule, @Krisite :) I, too, love cheese
  • Options
    I'm a FTM, what's the ruling on soda? I've only had sips since I found out and by sips I mean like 2! I have a headache today so I am thinking the caffeine would help. I don't see the doctor until the 6th, so I haven't asked about this yet! 
  • Options
    I'm a FTM, what's the ruling on soda? I've only had sips since I found out and by sips I mean like 2! I have a headache today so I am thinking the caffeine would help. I don't see the doctor until the 6th, so I haven't asked about this yet! 
    There are people who don't think you should drink soda in general so you'll get mixed responses. Diet Coke was all I could drink for a while with my second--I went caffeine free to avoid that at least. Keep an eye on caffeine, sodium, etc. 
  • Options
    I am down to one soda a day. I have a toddler and sometimes it is literally the only way to get through my day with out passing out. I am trying to cut it out entirely but plain water is boring and I hate milk.
  • Options
    ktewart said:
    I love my wine too, and have managed so far to be pregnant in quite a few situations where alcohol would have been very welcome (my sister's wedding, my birthday, 4th of July). However, while I won't judge anyone for the occasional glass, especially later in pregnancy once the brain is fully formed, this is one rule I do choose to follow to the letter. Unfortunately, those conflicting studies do have enough proof that alcohol CAN cause serious birth defects, and for something that is not at all vital to my diet (my sanity is a different story, but that's another thing all together), I avoid for the 40 weeks. I do drink while breastfeeding, however, and will be the first to say it.

My suggestion would be to experiment with virgin drinks till you find something that works. Cranberry juice with soda water and lime does the trick for
    me and allows me to feel like I'm participating in whatever social event I'm at without feeling like I'm restricted to water. The carbonation is my key - I love my Prosecco and Champagne, so soda water is my virgin alternative go-to.

ETA: @Dcwtada has an excellent point, though, and I feel like I'm far more likely to feel
    comfortable having the occasional glass this go round. Chasing a toddler while pregnant amps up the call for wine compared to last time, haha.
    All of this!!!!  This is #3, and with a 6.5 year old and 3.5 year old running around, teaching full-time, having a son in hockey practice 2 nights/week and at least 2 games/weekend, a daughter in dance 2 nights/week, my own workout schedule,  a husband with a crazy schedule, etc.... I may sneak a cheat once or twice this pregnancy.  We'll see.  I love my bubbles!!!!
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Can I just say, you ladies are my soulmates!! New to the group here (intro in main intro thread). I was part of a BMB when DD was born 2 years ago, and it was a very judge, hostile environment. This thread would have gone a completely different way in that board!

Anyway, thanks for making efforts feel less guilty about my turkey and Swiss sandwiches! And while I've abstained from any alcohol thus far, you better belive I'll have a glass of red wine every now and then later in this pregnancy. Especially after being home with a toddler day!
  • Options
    @ivcpatt84 what BMB were you on?
  • Options
    I've quit my Diet Coke addiction this pregnancy. It's so hard! I love that poisonous delicious nectar of the gods , and usually drink 2-3 cans a day, but I've quit cold turkey this time just for guilt reasons. I know it's not good for me, and there is research to suggest it's harmful during pregnancy, so quit I shall. It's probably for the best! 

I quit cold turkey with DS1 too, but still drank a bit of soda with DS2...
  • Options
    I know this is more of a doctor question but also kind of preference since they're many doctor answers.  

Can you have a glass of wine this early? And would red or white be better? 

We're going away for the weekend and it would be nice to have a glass of wine. I usually drink white but could do a red. And I don't mind drinking half and leaving the rest. I haven't had anything in like 3 months. But I also don't drink soda so a kiddie cocktail is exciting to me. 
  • Options
    @morgarita I am not a doctor, but I definitely would not risk it! Especially not in the first trimester when every major system is developing. It's simply not worth the risk.

I believe there was a mock-tails thread a while back - maybe there are some ideas there you might like? I don't know where you are located, but I did also find a non-alcoholic wine at Target called Fre... it wasn't the best tasting and does have less than .5% alcohol, but it at least kept my "secret" at Thanksgiving.

There may be differing opinions, and I've heard that later in pregnancy it may be different, but I won't die without it for 40 weeks so why risk it?
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Options
    @RunRestRepeat thanks good point. How was the fre? I've seen it as a na white zin before but haven't tried it. Maybe for back in the room after dinner. 
  • Options
    @morgarita I'll be honest - I wasn't a fan. I got the red blend and would only drink it again if I needed a cover. I can't speak for the other varieties. If I just wanted to feel fancy but was around people who knew, I'd stick to my La Croix and cranberry with a splash of lime!
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• Options
    I've quit my Diet Coke addiction this pregnancy. It's so hard! I love that poisonous delicious nectar of the gods , and usually drink 2-3 cans a day, but I've quit cold turkey this time just for guilt reasons. I know it's not good for me, and there is research to suggest it's harmful during pregnancy, so quit I shall. It's probably for the best! 

I quit cold turkey with DS1 too, but still drank a bit of soda with DS2...
    This is me! I had such a hard time giving up the ambrosia known as Diet Coke, lol! Harder to let that go even compared to sushi and my usual 3+ cups of coffee (now down to 1) and maybe even alcohol. But so far so good. Drinking seltzer water to trick myself.
  • Options
    ktewart said:
    Yes. You absolutely can. This is one of
    my biggest pet peeves in pregnancy. The restrictions that exist do exist for a reason, but I honestly have found that most of these restrictions come with caveats that doctors just are either too tired or too lazy to explain to us or that they think our pregnant female brains are somehow incapable of parsing out. Here's the thing: the concern with things like lunchmeat, undercooked meat, soft cheeses, etc., is out of an abundance of caution regarding food poisoning. The soft cheese thing is an excellent example. They don't want pregnant women eating soft cheese like Brie or blue cheese*. See that asterisk? That asterisk means they don't want you to eat UNPASTEURIZED soft cheese. But seriously, unless you live in certain parts of rural Europe, frequent artisan cheese shops, or work on a dairy farm, I'm not even sure you can FIND unpasteurized dairy in US stores. So, I eat Brie and blue cheese to my hearts content and just make sure it's pasteurized because I'm an adult and can read nutrition labels. And since I don't make a habit of eating food I think might give me food poisoning on a regular basis, pregnant or otherwise, I just make sure to avoid dodgy all-you-can-eat buffets and that my meat is cooked on the warm side of medium rare. Since I've never gotten food poisoning from a turkey sandwich, either, I eat the crap out of that, too, and just make sure I trust the place I'm getting it. Fun fact: the lunch meat restriction came from a case of listeria that a pregnant Canadian woman contracted from eating turkey. That was 25 years ago and there hasn't been a single case of pregnancy related listeria connected to lunch meat specifically since.

Fish is a bit dicier because the logic against it has to do with mercury, but if you read the actual restriction, it names the big 4 to avoid and then says stay under 6-8 ounces a week on all the others. The big 4 are Tile Fish, Tuna, Shark, and Mahi Mahi. So, while I'm not sure I'd advise eating conveyer belt sushi while pregnant, reputable sushi shops are typically fine as long as long as the sushi isn't made of those fish. But seriously, if you like salmon, make a point of eating that, because even doctors will tell you the omega-3s in it are amazing for you and baby.

Honestly, to me, it's about understanding the actual restrictions and then making intelligent decisions based on the information available, but I refuse to be treated like a child in bubblewrap
    simply because I'm pregnant. My body, my choices, and if I listened to every pregnancy restriction on the books, I'd never be allowed to leave the house and I'd be living on bread and oatmeal. Sorry, not my thing.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but this is a huge pet peeve of mine. We're supposed to enjoy pregnancy as much as we're able. I refuse to feel guilty for eating what I want.
    I think I love you 
  • Options
    I know licorice root is not recommended,,but what if it's not one of the main ingredients in a tea? I bought a tea and licorice root is farther down the list of ingredients. Would it be safe as long as I don't drink it a lot?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Personally, I was more cautious with my first pregnancy (Sep 2015 mama here for round two)! I tried to be balanced and eat all things in moderation, but never touched raw fish because I don't care for it. Now, I'm going with the same concept of balance and moderation, but I'm a lot less worried. Won't be eating/drinking any unpasteurized products, but that's pretty much the extent of my restrictions. Eat a cooked hot dog if you want to! Enjoy your pregnancy and don't sweat the small stuff. Best wishes mama. 
  • Options
    I'm not giving up my feta. I am of the mindset that if I can get by without something during the pregnancy I will. But if I feel like I have to have it and the risk is low, then I eat a little. Because really it starts to get ridiculous and every food becomes a problem. 
    Pregnancy Ticker