June 2016 Moms
Options

I can't take it anymore

I'm about to lose it over these 30 minute crap naps. He fights me for 20 minutes, and then never ever sleeps for longer than 30, then is crabby, constantly whining and wanting attention in between because he's tired. He's almost 5 months and starting to get rather strong and mobile.
Today's midday nap only lasted 25 minutes and I started crying. I want to look for jobs and just let someone else take care of him during the day, but I don't think I even have enought brainspace for a job search. I'm not certain I'm cut out to be a stay at home mom. My husband keeps saying we should get some part time help, but money is tight and whenever I do start to look, I am overwhelmed. I have no family nearby either.
Seriously, how can I get him to nap longer or deal with this? I'm going to have to start Irish-ing my coffee in the morning. 

Re: I can't take it anymore

• Options
    No suggestions, but know you're not alone. My son is 5 months as well. He used to sleep for 2 hours but not so much anymore.  Now he's doing 45 minutes, maybe an hour. He also gets fussy between naps when he's overtired. It's 2:38pm and he's on his 3rd nap of the day.  It's hard not having family nearby. Any friends that can help out?  Even just to give you a break and let you have some non-baby time?
  • Options
    I feel you and don't really have any recommendations. My daughter is almost 5 months and has always taken 20 to 49 minute naps. They only time she naps longer is if I lay with her, then I can get 1.5 to 2 hours. 
    It's 2:45 and we are on nap 4. Her last one was at 12:30. 
    I'm trying to teach her how to fall back to sleep on her own but it's not going well. 

Good luck 
    Met - November 2007
    Married - May 2011
    TTC LO#1 - January 2014
    BFP - Oct 19 2015- Due July 1 2016!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just keep expecting the naps to get better. He's been doing this since about 2 months. I can usually get him back asleep during nap #3 because he's so exhausted.
    I also got super jealous of the moms at a class I went to this week whose 5 month olds just chilled in their lap the whole time while my active little dude whined and wiggled and laughed and chomped and kicked. 
  • Options
    Lizbeth86Lizbeth86 member
    edited November 2016
    You're definitely not alone! The one thing I can't do is stay at home and expect to get things done, so I sympathize with your frustration. (My messy, unpacked house is proof.)
    If you take him somewhere, even in the car, will he fall & stay asleep long enough when you get home for you to get a few things done?
    My LO has a decent first nap in the morning, but I can't count on it being super long. It's enough to clean up from breakfast and start any prep for dinner, especially if I'm doing something in the crockpot.
    When she wakes up, we need a plan. Sometimes my mom comes over and I can go for a run and do some food shopping. (Mom spends most of the time coaxing her back  to sleep, if it's too cold to go out for a walk.) If my mom isn't coming then LO and I have to go somewhere, which in cold weather usually means running errands. if the car ride is long enough she'll fall asleep and at least I can be productive in my first errand or so.
    If I'm exhausted later in the afternoon, she'll usually cooperate with us both taking a nap, especially if I nurse her first. Then cooking dinner usually means I alternate between putting her in the bouncy seat or wearing her in the carrier while I cook. I'm completely wiped out by the end of the day!
  • Options
    Have you tried going in there before he wakes and then when he starts to wake try to soothe him? Charlotte went thru this and it was killing me, like it is you and I have 2 other LOs to take care of. I would go in and shush her and stroke her head, that's something that soothes her. I hope you can figure something out, but know you are not alone. Oh and it's okay to not want to be a SAHM, it's not for everyone! You will get thru this!
  • Options
    Thanks all! I figured out later that he had a slight (99-100) fever so now I'm thinking it's teething time. He has all the other symptoms too. So it made me feel better that there is probably a particular reason behind this extra fussiness.
    Also, he then slept for 13 HOURS last night! I slept for 10! So that felt good, and confirmed that LO is going through something physically.
  • Options
    Try the sleep sense program. My DD used to do the exact same thing. Sleep training for the win! She naps and sleeps through the night now.