May 2017 Moms

Thanksgiving Menu/ Recipes

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, what's on the menu?  What are your thanksgiving favorites? Bonus for your go to recipes! 

Re: Thanksgiving Menu/ Recipes

• We'll be spending the weekend with my ILs and they'll be taking us to a hotel for Thanksgiving dinner.  Looking forward to not cooking and having professionals make our food!

With that said, I love sweet potato casserole with the pecans and marshmallows on top. Yum! And I love mix-n-matching my stuffing however I feel like that year. I follow something like this:
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/mix-and-match-stuffing.html

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Our meal will be turkey, ham, Mac and cheese, mashed potatoes w/ gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce- I can hardly wait 

we will have a few deserts but I will be making key lime pie  <3 https://allrecipes.com/recipe/15880/key-lime-pie-vii/?internalSource=hub recipe&amp;referringContentType=search results&amp;clickId=cardslot 2
  • Loading the player...
  • We won't be traveling home for Thanksgiving this year, super sad about it. So we are having Thanksgiving with our neighbors.
    DH and I grew up with very traditional Thanksgiving dinners, ours neighbors are Italian and are insisting on having pasta as a side dish... of course I won't tell them no but I just can't get on board with ravioli with our ham and turkey?! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • bacorreabacorrea member
    edited November 2016
    My ILs canceled so we are doing Hibachi! 
  • This year DH is working so DD and I will be going to my family's Thanksgiving. I'm so looking forward to not cooking and also getting to take home a small (deep fried) turkey of my own and lots of leftovers.
  • Just finalized the spreadsheet today  :D We're hosting again and I love it! I'm cooking most of it. 
    Cheese plate (gouda, goat, cheddar, apple, grapes, pepper jelly, crackers)
    Salad (SIL making. Something with pom seeds)
    Fried Turkey
    Sweet potatoes with a bacon bourbon crumble
    Mashed potatoes with gravy
    Honey glazed carrots
    Balsamic honey brussel sprouts
    Stuffing (MIL bringing)
    Cranberry fluff "salad" (Mom making)
    Parker House rolls
    Cranberry sauce

Cant decide on dessert! 
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe if you're looking for inspiration this is one of my favorite pies! Full disclosure the recipe is at my moms house but this looks REALLY similar if not identical. It's so yummy and gives a little twist to the "boring" apple pie (my other favorite). Also ... I typically use pre-made crust bc I'm too impatient/not skilled enough for pie crusts. 

https://www.finecooking.com/recipes/ginger-spice-cranberry-apple-streusel-pie.aspx
  • For DH's family Thanksgiving I'm making pumpkin cheesecake and banana pudding cheesecake. 

My menu for my mom and family is:
    Super moist mayo turkey
    Southern dressing 
    Stove top style mac and cheese 
    Lima beans
    Deviled eggs
    Roasted maple carrots, turnips and parsnips 
    Sweet potato souffle
    Homemade cranberry sauce

If anyone wants a recipe let me know! Happy to share. 
  • I'm hosting for the first time with my family, all 17 of us, super excited!
    My menu so far:
    Appetizer:Caprese salad on skewers with balsamic glaze
    Main Course:
    Dry rub Turkey
    Stuffing
    Mashed potatoes and gravy
    Sweet potato casserole
    Green beans with garlic and bacon
    Dinner Rolls
    Pearl Onions in a Cream Sauce
    Cranberry Sauce
    Dessert:
    Apple Pie
    Pumpkin Pie
    Bite Sized Salted Caramel Cheesecakes-New recipe for me https://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/bite-size-salted-caramel-cheesecakes-161987.aspx
    Ice Cream Pumpkin Pie (if I'm up to it)  https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pumpkin-ice-cream-pie-with-chocolate-almond-bark-and-toffee-sauce

Luckily my mom will be helping with most of these, having a slight panic attack typing all this up!

Me: 33 / DH: 35
    Married: Nov 2006
    DD: Sept 2010
    DS: June 2013
    BFP #3 - EDD 5.13.16
  • @ShadeofGreen816 Yum! I've considered making a pie because I'd like to try my hand at it. The problem is, no one in our family really likes pie all that much. Then we have a few picky eaters (one who doesn't like dessert at all).
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • ILs are hosting! But the menu is...
    appetizers: 
     Hors d'oeuvres 
    veggie tray

Dinner:
    turkey
    baked beans
    stuffing
    corn 
    green beans 
    sweet potatoes 
    dinner rolls 
    and what ever SILs bring 

Dessert:
    pumpkin pie
    apple pie 
    banana pudding (with sliced banana& vanilla wafers, topped with cool whip)

#1 DD Aug 2014 @39weeks via CS

#2 Due May 2,2017 hopeful VBAC

• I have a feeling Thanksgiving is going to be only DH and I, maybe my brother. I only have plans to make mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and pumpkin pie. And it's going to be awesome!
  • We are hosting for 18 again this year!  I cook all of it, from scratch right down the to dough for my individual apple pies  :)

Apps: 
    Salsa + Chips
    Mini meatballs
    Cocktail shrimp
    Cheese + Crackers

mains:
    Brined Turkey breast
    Ham
    Stuffing
    Brussel Sprouts/bacon
    Corn
    Mashed Potatoes
    Mashed Sweet Potatoes
    Honey Maple Carrots
    Green Beans w/Almonds
    Red Cabbage (family recipe)
    Cornbread
    Rolls
    Cranberry Sauce
    Gravy

Dessert: 
    Individual apple pies
    Chocolate covered Blueberries
    Chocolate Cake
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm trying to find dairy and egg free alternatives to traditional sides for my allergy prone toddler. Hooray for pseudo vegan Thanksgiving? This could be a disaster!

husband is also insisting we wet brine a turkey even though it is a PITA. 

Brined turkey
    cheater gravy because you can't use the drippings from a brined bird
    stuffing
    mashed potatoes (set some aside without milk)
    vegan green bean casserole
    vegan butternut squash soup 
    easy vegetable like corn
    Yorkshire pudding
    maybe Brussels sprouts with pancetta. 

May '17 labor memes
  • Sweet potatoes with a bacon bourbon crumble

Do you have a recipe for this? I feel like if I make this for my husband it might make up for my recent crabbiness/laziness.... He LOVES Bourban, bacon and sweet potatoes...
  • Sweet potatoes with a bacon bourbon crumble

Do you have a recipe for this? I feel like if I make this for my husband it might make up for my recent crabbiness/laziness.... He LOVES Bourban, bacon and sweet potatoes...
    Yes! I've made several years in a row and it's a favorite! Sweet potatoes casseroles are my favorite holiday dish. It's really quite easy too. https://www.tablespoon.com/recipes/bourbon-bacon-sweet-potato-casserole-with-maple/4b0908dd-15d5-423a-8891-11d5a702498b

1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • We are going to my sisters and my parents will also be there.  
    No cooking for me yay!
    I'm most looking forward to my mom's homemade mashed potatoes.  They are amazing!
  • I'm trying to find dairy and egg free alternatives to traditional sides for my allergy prone toddler. Hooray for pseudo vegan Thanksgiving? This could be a disaster!

husband is also insisting we wet brine a turkey even though it is a PITA. 

Brined turkey
    cheater gravy because you can't use the drippings from a brined bird
    stuffing
    mashed potatoes (set some aside without milk)
    vegan green bean casserole
    vegan butternut squash soup 
    easy vegetable like corn
    Yorkshire pudding
    maybe Brussels sprouts with pancetta. 

Why can't you use drippings from a brined bird?
  • @champhe the drippings are unbearably salty and it overpowers the gravy. 

May '17 labor memes
  • @WombThereItIs oh...I always brine my turkey and make gravy and haven't had this result. I don't go too crazy with salt in the brine so maybe that's why. I've never heard that. Brining is where it's at! Game changer.
  • edited November 2016
    Every year my mom and I cook Thanksgiving dinner together. It used to be a huge get together but over the years a lot of family has been cut out. So it's basically just my mom, dad, 2 brothers, my nephew, me, so, my son. However, we still do a big feast. 
    Rotisserie turkey
    glazed ham
    mashed potatoes
    macaroni and cheese
    deviled eggs
    potato salad
    yams with marshmallows 
    stuffing
    cranberry sauce
    gravy
    rolls
    green beans/corn
    vegitable and ranch dip platter
    crackers with meat and cheese
    banana pudding
    2-3 different pies

ETA more
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Im so jealous of everyones deviled eggs. I LOVE deviled eggs. Maybe I'll have my Mom make me some...
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • nda_roxybabenda_roxybabe member
    edited November 2016
    Oh yea! Just asked my Mom and she said she was actually going to make deviled eggs and surprise me with them, ha. Does anyone remember the girl on The Amanda Show"I like eggs, eggs I like, like I eggs"? Or do I just sound like a looney tune? 

ETA: corrected the show
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @nda_roxybabe we are big fans of deviled eggs in this family. I want some right now! All the foods. Being pregnant during Thanksgiving is the jam. 
  • I'm having whatever my MIL is cooking. Usually that's turkey, dressing, rice, broccoli casserole, and sweet potato casserole and maybe a few other odds and ends.

This post makes me wish Thursday was here already!
  • KMD1106KMD1106 member
    edited November 2016
    I'm surprised to read that so many of you have mac and cheese at Thanksgiving. It's never been a part of our menu. Any other northern states ladies have it in their menu? I'm in MN. 
    May Siggy Challenge: Labor Memes

Me:31 DH:32 Married 11/06/10
    DD: Born 8/23/13 (clomid+ovidrel+IUI)
    BFP 9/9/16 EDD 5/19/17

• KMD1106 said:
    I'm surprised to read that so many of you have mac and cheese at Thanksgiving. It's never been a part of our menu. Any other northern states ladies have it in their menu? I'm in MN. 
    We never had Mac and cheese at our thanksgivings, but we are from Arizona. When we visited DHs grandma in Maryland, that was the first time I had seen it as part of thanksgiving and I was surprised! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Every year since my grandmother passed away (2007) I have made Deviled Eggs for my family. This was always something that my grandmother and I used to do together so I am happy to keep it going...the only down side is I don't like deviled eggs so I follow a recipe and hope for the best, no taste testing :wink: Here is the recipe I am making this year.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/classic-deviled-eggs-recipe.html
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We never do Mac N Cheese, but I know from my time in SC for college that it's definitely a thing. I LOVE Mac n cheese, but...nah.
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I'm not from the north but we always do Mac n Cheese at Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have a ton of people to feed 15+ and lots of picky eaters, mac n cheese is almost the first thing gone.
  • I'm not sure how much I'll be able to eat since I'm supposed to be on a super strict diet, but I guess I'll just suffer the consequences. The women in my family are aaaaaamazing cooks. Our menu looks something like this:

Turkey
    Ham with a honey mustard glaze
    Mashed potatoes and homemade gravy
    Cornbread dressing and a fancy dressing my cousin makes with sausage and cranberries
    Sweet potato crunch and candied yams
    Green bean casserole 
    Homemade rolls
    Some kind of fruit salad
    Pies- Chocolate, caramel, apple, pecan, buttermilk, sweet potato 

Our traditional thanksgiving food tends to have more southern influence since my Dad's parents were from the south. I've noticed there are a lot of regional influences with thanksgiving meals.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers