December 2016 Moms
Options

Possible preeclampsia

So, I was at my weekly appointment on Monday, and mentioned to my OBGYN that over the weekend I had had some pretty major swelling in my feet, ankles, and legs, much more than normal.  Yes, I had done a lot on Saturday, but only minimal activity on Sunday.  I had also gained 8lbs in 5 days.  However, my BP is still in the normal range.  She was concerned about the swelling and weight gain, especially after we went over what I had eaten, which was healthy.  The only thing that she said could have caused so much water retention like that was if the the food I had eaten while out to lunch with my family on Saturday had contained a lot of salt.  So she set me up with a 24 hour urine collection and blood tests at the hospital.  Collected my urine yesterday and had the blood drawn today.  I know she is looking for signs of preeclampsia.  But at 36 weeks, I hope it isn't as serious as it can be if developed much earlier.  I mean, I can pretty much deliver at any time from next week on and have a normal, healthy baby.  I'm not really scared about this at all, even though I feel like I should be.  Does anyone else have any insight to this or any experiences with this?  I'd be curious to hear about them and compare them.

Re: Possible preeclampsia

• Options
    I went in for my 36 week check last pregnancy and had the same issues.  Swelling, weight gain, and my BP was a tad higher than it had been.  We did a 24 hour urine collection and I was put on bed rest for a week and induced at 36+6.  The labor was long as my cervix wasn't open to start with, so that sucked, but she came out just fine, only with a little low blood sugar issue.  Rest up, keep your legs up, and keep drinking water.  You will be okay!!  Hugs
    *SIGGY*
    Baby G born 6/6/14, 37 weeks 1 day due to preeclampsia.  5lb12oz 19"
    #2 due Christmas 2016. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm worried I may be headed down this path.  I called the office after work bc the last two days my feet/legs have been far more swollen than usual.  It did go down a bit after elevating all of yesterday evening/night but still swollen when I woke up.  My swelling would previously go away during the evening.  I was told to elevate all evening and drink plenty of water and if it doesn't go down to call and schedule something for the morning to check.  My last appointment they were borderline concerned with the swelling and my BP was high when I came in.  BP went down to normal by the time I left, but I was told to keep an eye out.
    Me: 26 & DH: 25
    Married: August 2014
    TTC since November 2015
    BFP #1 12/17/15 - MC 1/28/16
    BFP #2 4/22/16 - EDD 12/30/16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in a similar boat. My only symptoms are slightly elevated BP, and a slight headache. I've had no swelling but she was concerned about the headache so I did the blood work today and will do the 24 hour urine catch on Sunday. I'm really glad she is taking it seriously, I'd rather err on the side of caution. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. Slight headache, slightly elevated bp, starting the urine catch in the am. 
  • Options
    I'm officially in the pre-e watch club. After gaining weight at a very steady pace, I only gained about 5 lbs in 2 months. I had my first weekly check up today and had gained about 10 in the last 2 weeks, and my swelling is up, and my BP is officially high. But the nurse had me sit and yoga breathe for a minute while she retook it like 4 times. It went down to 140/ 90 after the yoga breathing. But I only have 3 weeks left. And I know baby won't come early now: my previous history of only dilating to 5cm after 26 hrs of killer labor at 41w, plus she checked my cervix and it's completely closed and not at all effaced. So there go my hopes of a thanksgiving baby! RCS on 12/7, here I come. Unless my pre-e symptoms get worse quickly... which is no joke. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Maybe I'm just not reading or understanding correctly, but I don't see where I am "taking preeclampsia lightly".  I told my OBGYN on Monday what happened over the weekend.  She immediately ordered tests, which I took.  There's nothing to do until the results come back.  And all I meant was that at 36 weeks, if I had to deliver early due to being diagnosed with preeclampsia, my baby is pretty well developed and there shouldn't be complications.  My last scan put the weight of my baby at an estimated 6.5lbs.  But, like I said, there is nothing to do until I am diagnosed, and I haven't been because I just took the urine and blood tests yesterday.  It's not like these symptoms have been going on for weeks and I ignored them.  They just started Saturday night.
  • Options
    @phoebecar  I didn't think anyone would try to offend or attack me, that's why I was a bit confused.  Sometimes it is hard to tell tone and feelings from just a few typed words.  I know preeclampsia is serious.  One of my friends actually suffered from it a few years ago, and thankfully everything went well.  I'm just trying to figure out if I am in denial or if I'm just telling everyone I'm ok and pretending to be ok so that I don't worry anyone.  I tend to be an over worrier myself, so this might just be my way of trying to keep myself from freaking out.  
  • Options

@caffeinenut I completely understand the over worrying- I'm a worrier by nature too! Hell I worry about stuff before it even comes to pass, which my mom says  that I'm "borrowing trouble."  But in this case (according to your test results) a little worry is not necessarily a bad thing. It just means that you are on top of it, and by the sounds of it you and your OB are!!!  Fingers crossed that all of your tests come back completely normal and no problems at all!!  Pre-E and the meds they use to treat it are no fun at all.  I felt drunk (and not in a good way) on the magnesium and some ladies had it far worse than me.

All of that to say, try not to over worry about it until you are (IF you are) officially diagnosed with it.  Over worrying can lead to elevated blood pressure which won't help the cause any.  Good luck, fingers crossed for no pre-e and let us know how it goes!!!

• Options
    I am glad I called last week and brought up the severe swelling and then again at my appointment earlier this week.  Even though I didn't have other symptoms and the dip sticks would be fine my blood pressure was slowly creeping and the ordered tests just in case.  The tests came back for pre-eclampsia so I'm glad I kept bringing it up.  They didn't mention anything other than extra monitoring for my blood pressure and NSTs at the moment.  I'm sure I'll find out more when I see one of the doctors on Tuesday.
    Me: 26 & DH: 25
    Married: August 2014
    TTC since November 2015
    BFP #1 12/17/15 - MC 1/28/16
    BFP #2 4/22/16 - EDD 12/30/16