September 2016 Moms
Options

Naps

How is everyone handling naps? I recently read the book Babywise which advises to follow a Sleep, Feed, Play schedule which is suppose to cycle every 2.5-3hrs. My little guy seems to only like 30minute naps. I find it really difficult to get on a schedule because I cant control the amount he sleeps. Anyone have success with getting their little one to nap on a schedule?

Re: Naps

• Options
    Not really. Baby sets the schedule for the most part, but I do try to keep a routine. She sleeps, if she goes 3 hours I wake and feed her, play with her until she shows signs of being tired, then swaddle her back up and try to keep everything calm, dark, and quiet enough for her to sleep again. Sometimes she'll go another 3 hours, sometimes she only goes 30 minutes. When she only sleeps a short time I make sure she's not hungry or wet, then either play with her a bit if she's alert or try to get her to go back to sleep if she's obviously still tired. If she fights going back to sleep when I know she's tired, I'll stick her in the bassinet with her pacifier and she usually calms down and falls asleep. Sometimes I keep her next to me if she's struggling.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ditto to what @jln27 said. Don't have nap time routine. Just more a slight schedule. He still sleeps a lot so hard to develop nap routine. Think once he is more awake between feedings and goes longer between feedings I'll worry about naptime routine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Naps are a problem for us too. I have a general idea of the times she is most tired but sometimes will nap only for ten minutes and other times she will nap for three hours. I was really hoping for her to have solid naps, even if the start/end times differed but were generally a predictable length. Today she kept fighting her naps and is so overtired now. 
  • Options
    Dylan seems to take 2-3 decent naps a day with his morning nap being the longest ranging from 1 and a half hours to at the most 3. Then he takes an hour or 2 nap in the afternoon and evening. He has always I think been more alert and awake then the average baby, at least that I read about so he is up for 2 to 3 hours or more in between naps. The problem I have created is that he only Will nap if he is being held. He sleeps fine swaddled in his bed at night but if he gets put down anywhere when he is napping he wakes up within 10 minutes, usually right away. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Luke has been an interesting sleeper. He would stay awake for 4 and 5 hours at a time and still wake up every 3 hours at night to eat. I really feel like a new mom with this one because he has been so difficult. I had to read online about how long he should go between naps and they said 2 hours max at 3 months. I realized he has been severely lacking in the sleep department. So I have had to set a trick 2 hour max time limit on how long he is awake. Usually I get cues that he is getting sleepy so lately I have been putting him to bed and letting him try to put himself to sleep. I've noticed that sometimes he'll play and then fall asleep and sometimes he'll cry and fall asleep but he is getting good at falling asleep without my help. If he cries for to long then I know its because I had him up to long between naps. So I will usually grab him and help him fall asleep at that point. Ugh this is so much to learn! One would think I would have it down to a science with baby number 5! Nope not this girl!
  • Options
    We were doing pretty well with naps until the past month or so. Morning naps is usually ok, 2 hours after waking. But afternoons are hit or miss, especially daycare days. Hoping things even back out again by the end of the month. 
  • Options
    Victoria does not like to nap. Her cues that she needs one are that she's fussy and rubs her eyes. But she doesn't go down easily. Best trick is to put her in a wrap and wear her. She likes being cozy with me but not being swaddled. The wrap has sleepy dust I guess. 

Today I laid her down in her PNP and she quietly played with her WubbaNub until she fell asleep. This is an outlier - usually she just fusses and doesn't fall asleep 
  • Options
    Molly has been napping really well at daycare. She takes two good long naps. Almost 2 hours each!! She doesn't nap that well at home, but she's definitely more stimulated there since there are other kids and people moving around. She did go down at approximately the same times as she does at daycare. She fell asleep on her own pretty much. 
  • Options
    Who is down to 2 naps a day? We are mostly still taking 3 naps over here. Is the 2 nap thing supposed to naturally happen? He doesn't really fight the 3rd nap. 
  • Options

Our naps are still a little all over the place right now. Most days we are down to 2 naps if she is taking good ones (1.5-2 hours), but on the days she only gives me a 20 min nap we switch to a 3 nap day. I really just go by her and how cranky she is. Although needing a nap and actually going down for it are two different things entirely.

I have been trying to go with the 2-3-4 schedule but most days ours looks more like 2-4-3. Oh well, whatever keeps her happy!

• Options
    I was going to ask the same thing. Xavier is still for the most part a 3 naps a day kid. His naps usually only last about an hour sometimes 1.5 hours. We tried a schedule in the beginning but he wasn't having it. However he pretty much put himself on a schedule. Usually just watch for his cues he is ready for a nap.
  • Options
    We can depend on the first nap 2hr after waking. Then it can be thrown off a bit, but she definitely lets us know when she's ready for nap #2. Bedtime is around 715-730.
  • Options
    Thanks all. We are still mostly 3 naps as I mentioned, but on some days he has a longer second nap so it ends up being 2 naps but an earlier bedtime. I wasn't sure if I needed to do something or if it will just naturally happen. Like most of you are doing, I try to just follow my babes cues. That trumps any schedule I have in place.
  • Options
    Molly only takes two naps. One morning nap that is about an hour and an afternoon nap which is about two hours. 
  • Options
    jennlynn777jennlynn777 member
    edited June 2017
    Luke only takes 2 naps as well. One in the morning and one in the afternoon.