February 2017 Moms

Birth and Babies Class Chatter!

This is a place to talk about all things baby and birth class related! Any class you are taking, feel free to come in. Any questions related to class topics, this is the place!

Questions below can be prompts, or feel free to wing it - however you want to jump in.

What class/es are you taking?

What class # are you on, if it's a multi class series?

How are you liking it so far?

Did you learn anything surprising?

Anything else you learned that you'd like to share with the group?

Were there any funny or interesting moments you want to share?

Any questions for the group?

And last but not least, here is a gratuitous Baby Mama birthing class gif for fun:

Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!

Re: Birth and Babies Class Chatter!

• What class/es are you taking? Currently taking a 3-part series which includes 1) what to expect prior to delivery 2) what to expect after the baby is born and 3) infant nutrition. We'll also be taking an infant CPR class next month. 

What class # are you on, if it's a multi class series? we're on 2/3. 

How are you liking it so far? so far so good. 

Did you learn anything surprising? no 

Any questions for the group? what exactly is a "Bradley" class and do I need to take it? I don't think it's offered by my hospital. 

Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What class/es are you taking? Currently in a 4-week childbirth class offered through the hospital we're delivering at. I will also be taking a newborn essentials and breastfeeding workshop at some point, as well as infant CPR. Looking into prenatal yoga as well.

What class # are you on, if it's a multi class series? Tomorrow is class #2 of 4.

How are you liking it so far? So far so good! Tomorrow's class focuses on techniques to ease pain during labor, so looking forward to that.

Did you learn anything surprising? We did an exercise last week where we had to determine if a variety of symptoms were true labor, or pre-labor (could happen weeks before). Some of them were kind of surprising - like, you could potentially start having contractions and dilating weeks before you actually go into labor. Also, my hospital offers nitrous oxide for pain relief during labor. Definitely something I want to consider before an epidural.

Anything else you learned that you'd like to share with the group? Apparently a lot of couples wait until they are VERY far along in their pregnancy to take childbirth classes! Out of the six couples in my class, one is due in early December, three are due mid-December, and one is due mid-January. I was surprised by that. I guess I just like to be prepared early :)

Any questions for the group? Any tips for finding a good prenatal yoga class? There seem to be a lot of options, and I have no idea how one goes about picking one.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • What class/es are you taking? Bradley classes right now, but registered for a NB care class, hospital tour, and breastfeeding classes in December too.

What class # are you on, if it's a multi class series? Class 1 of 12 was last night.

How are you liking it so far? I was actually nervous on the way there that it was going to be overwhelming and too much info, but the teacher was really down to earth and made everything very accessible and easy to understand.

Did you learn anything surprising? Yes! I did not know that your pelvis is naturally tilted forward in your body, and that leaning forward in early labor gives better alignment to get baby engaged. Both of the times I've been to a birth, the mom was laid back in the hospital bed.

Anything else you learned that you'd like to share with the group? I learned that walking opens the top of your pelvis, so it's recommended for early labor and getting baby's head into the pelvis; but squatting opens the  bottom of the pelvis by up to 15%, so it's recommended in later stages of labor when you're trying to get baby out.

Were there any funny or interesting moments you want to share? The leader mentions that kegels are good for both men and women, help prevent incontinence in old age, etc. Then a few seconds later she starts laughing, and says all the husbands were making faces. So the moms all turn around and apparently they all were trying to do kegels and they looked constipated. It was very funny!

Any questions for the group? Not at the moment!
  • @madamerwin I have LOVED all of my prenatal yoga classes and I've gone to three different places. I would just say read their bios and see if you can just do a trial class without actually buying a full 8 week package or anything and go! Or if there's a studio that offers prenatal and Mommy & Me yoga classes for post-pardum, that would be awesome!

My major take aways from the classes were
    1.  Learning about 5-1-1 contractions before going to the hospital (Don't go in until your contractions are 5 minutes apart and last 1 minute in length for 1 full hour)
    2. TACO! When your water breaks, note the Time that it occurred, the Amount (a gush or a trickle), the Color (if it was clear or if there was color potentially indicating baby had their first meconium or if their is blood), and Odor (if it smells fishy or off)
    3. If you can take or watch "Happiest Baby on the Block," I totally recommend it!
    4. Take a breastfeeding course! It was so informative for a FTM!
    Also, they had us tightly grasp a bag of freezing cold ice for 30 seconds, then one minute, then 90 seconds to simulate an uncomfortable situation, like contractions and labor pains, and had us do things like have DH help us breathe through it, listen to and focus on music, be given a massage during it, etc. and it was really interesting. Squeezing that bag of ice was not fun... 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @TeacherMom2517 That ice idea is really good! I'm gonna make  H do that  with me :-)

What class/es are you taking?
    Bradley Method and Cloth Diapering

Class 1 of 12 in Bradley Method. We go to tth CD class in December

We like it! Our teacher is going to compress some of the classes so we can have a babywearing class and breastfeeding class. 

We learned about birthing balls and peanut balls. I'd never heard of the peanut, but I tried it and liked it! Then I got home and looked it up. Some preliminary studies show it helps reduce pain and it is good for moms who cant leave the bed, like if you get an epidural.

Everyone should check out Bradley Method stretches. They feel amazing.

H and I agreed we are going to call these BM classes and it makes me giggle.  

not yet!
  • @imalwaysme79 Bradley classes teach the bradley method of childbirth, which focuses on the dad as a coach, and going med free/intervention free. There is quite a bit of info on the bradley website if you are interested.
  • @imalwaysme79 Bradley classes teach the bradley method of childbirth, which focuses on the dad as a coach, and going med free/intervention free. There is quite a bit of info on the bradley website if you are interested.
    I'll check it out, thanks! 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

• What class/es are you taking? We finished our 6 part Birth Center classes on Oct. 29th. We're actually going to a free class at our local Babies R Us tonight as well.

What class # are you on, if it's a multi class series? Finished. We were one of the latest due dates in the class, everyone else was later in their pregnancy than I am.

How are you liking it so far? It was super informative and I'm glad my state mandates them for Birth Center moms.

Did you learn anything surprising? Nothing too surprising, except I found out that most "emergency" csections in the US are completely avoidable non-emergencies. What a true "emergency" csection is called is a "crash" csection.

Anything else you learned that you'd like to share with the group? Apparently some women have completely pain free natural births when in the right state of mind and prepared with Hypnobirthing or Bradley classes.

Were there any funny or interesting moments you want to share? All the dads were super freaked out when we watched a birth video and they showed the baby coming out. Some of them even covered their eyes. Men are babies lol.

Any questions for the group? Nope!
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • What class/es are you taking?
    Hypnobirthing - The Mongon Method

#2 of 6

Loving it (especially the daily tracks we are supposed to listen to). I can already see an impact on being able to relax on queue and it puts me to sleep every night.

We did the basic birthing classes at our hospital last time and while there was some great information for first time parents - it doesn't really prepare you for birth (especially if you are wanting a natural birth). This class has already been 10x more informative, DH and I are feeling confident and ready for the birth of our second child. I also like the amount of time they spend on topics that OBs don't get much training on (nutrition (I had no idea much much daily protein I needed right now), postures to stay in/avoid, etc.) to prepare. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For those doing hypnobirthing-- do you have any resources you can share? Esp relaxation techniques or exercises?
  • Even though I'm a STM, I've been thinking about taking a breastfeeding class so that I'm more prepared this time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • For those doing hypnobirthing-- do you have any resources you can share? Esp relaxation techniques or exercises?
    So I am thinking of doing this: https://www.hypnobabies-store.com/Products-Home-Study-Courses.html since there are no Hypnobabies/hypnobirthing classes in my area. I need to decide very soon so have to have time to finish it.

You're doing Bradley, right? I read somewhere in my early research that for some reason Bradley and hypno-techniques aren't really compatible. I don't know enough about Bradley to know why that might be, but it could be worth asking your instructor about. 
    So I am thinking of doing this: https://www.hypnobabies-store.com/Products-Home-Study-Courses.html since there are no Hypnobabies/hypnobirthing classes in my area. I need to decide very soon so have to have time to finish it.

You're doing Bradley, right? I read somewhere in my early research that for some reason Bradley and hypno-techniques aren't really compatible. I don't know enough about Bradley to know why that might be, but it could be worth asking your instructor about. 
    I'm doing Bradley but I have heard of people lokking into both. I don't think I can do a pain-free birth with hypnobirthing and people either love hypno or hate it. Bradley gets a lot of criticism too. But I think the relaxation techniques could be compatible.

It can't hurt, right?
  • I can't see how it would, @Gretchypoo! Why not have a few tools in your toolbox?

I definitely don't expect the Hypnobabies to make this pain free. I'm kind of expecting it to be more of an extreme relaxation practice. I'll update here with how it's going once I start. The rest of my classes aren't for a while (Breastfeeding 12/3 and Alternative Birth Center orientation down to the wire in January) but I'm eagerly following this thread. 
  • What class/es are you taking?
    I'll be taking a natural birth class through my hospital.  I was debating on it vs. the hypnobirth class they offer but in the natural birth class they also briefly cover pain medication options so I want to learn about that in case I change my mind during labor.

I haven't actually started yet.  The class won't actually start until January and is 4 classes so I'll be done almost 4 weeks before my due date.

I'm glad to see people found breastfeeding classes useful.  I was thinking of taking one but didn't even realize you do it before the baby is born.  My hospital offers one and says the cost covers the mother and partner.  So question, did your SOs attend the class with you?  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @CurlyCupcake21 My classes all covered me plus DH (or any support person) and he is coming to all of them! I read on our breastfeeding class description, and it said they will cover specifics of how to help the mom for the support person. He is not getting off easy on the classes front!
  • Its the other way about in our house. My husband is asking me about different things and im the one recoiling in horror! This morning he told me he would check my blood pressure and urine tonight as its been a few weeks since my last appointment and will be 2 weeks til my next one and i said he could do my blood pressure but i wouldnt be peeing in a cup for him, good as his intentions are.
  • My H has been good about not acting horrified but he was all worried about delayed bathing for Baby Betty. He was horrified, like "what if she is covered in poo?" LMFAO Omg we will wipe her off, silly!
  • H and I went to an "8 hour intensive" class yesterday. Honestly it wasn't as useful as I thought it'd be, but it did include a tour of the maternity ward at our hospital and their routine procedures. My other take-aways were two really comfortable massage/support techniques. One where your support person sits behind you and puts a hand on your forehead and the other on your chest, hugging you from behind with a fairly firm amount of pressure. The other one I really liked was having my hips squeezed together. Like two hours of the class was just getting partners to massage and practice being supportive through "contractions" while we practiced relaxing and breathing. It would have been a fantastic pre-nap experience. 

The rest of it was listening to the instructor describing the process and what physically happens to your body during and after birth. Also many videos were watched, for better or worse.

Thinking of taking the newborn care class and definitely want to re-up my infant cpr certification! 
  • My H has been good about not acting horrified but he was all worried about delayed bathing for Baby Betty. He was horrified, like "what if she is covered in poo?" LMFAO Omg we will wipe her off, silly!

My DD came out covered in vernix (which made no sense since I was overdue) but I literally did skin to skin right away and my husband makes fun of me still cause I was like EWWWW shes crusty.

It absorbed into her skin pretty quickly but it was pretty hilarious

• mrsgabus said:
    My H has been good about not acting horrified but he was all worried about delayed bathing for Baby Betty. He was horrified, like "what if she is covered in poo?" LMFAO Omg we will wipe her off, silly!

My DD came out covered in vernix (which made no sense since I was overdue) but I literally did skin to skin right away and my husband makes fun of me still cause I was like EWWWW shes crusty.

It absorbed into her skin pretty quickly but it was pretty hilarious

HAHAHA! I'm already preparing my game face for if I'm grossed out. I made a big deal and now I can't back down! ;-)
  • @Gretchypoo I feel like we get to reserve the right to change our minds on pretty much any birth/baby experience until we are actually dealing with it. How are we supposed to know how we'll feel about something we've never experienced? FTM card trumps game face IMHO!

We've got our 2nd Bradley class tonight, and part of our homework this week was tracking everything we ate, and doing our daily exercises. I really feel bad that I didn't do better... I mean, I know the point of tracking is accountability; but I really wish I'd done better, and I hope the teacher isn't going to go over these with a fine tooth comb. It was a crazy busy week. I'm feeling like I sucked.  :s
  • @WinchesterGirl FTM trumo card FTW!

We didn't track anything for Bradley either and I forgot to do stretches like, 4 of 7 days. whoops. #badstudent
  • edited November 2016
    @Gretchypoo That makes me feel better, and the other two moms in class were similarly thinking they didn't do so well, so it must be a real learning curve! I'm going to try to hit at least 80 grams of protein every day this week, and do at least half the exercises every day. I had like 3-4 days last week where I was like, ehhh, I'm sore... I'll just do one thing. 

@jlellis603 I bet that was a scary realization! It's awesome that your hospital lets you eat though! We have our hopsital tour in December so I'm really curious to see how it goes!
  • @WinchesterGirl It was a weird feeling, like it being very medical and serious. But after the tour I felt better knowing I'm in good hands. I know I was surprised to hear that! She was like you aren't really going to want to eat, you'll just throw it up, but we have a fully stocked kitchen up here for moms so you can eat if you want. I hope your tour goes well !!
  • We have the first of 3 birthing classes tonight and I'm really excited! During next weeks class they'll do the tour of the hospital. Then in December is infant care class and breastfeeding class.
    Me: 24  DH: 28

Married: 9/2013

Love my LEO!!

TTC #1: 9/2015

BFP: 2/1/16  MC 2/8/16 @ 5wks

BFP: 5/22/16 RAINBOW BABY

EDD: 1/30/2017 *IT'S A GIRL!!!!* 

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• We had our 2nd class last night, where we talked nutrition and breastfeeding. It was very informative, but one of the coolest things to me was learning about the Montgomery glands (sp?), which are all the little bumps on your nipple. I knew a few things, but I didn't know that they are how the immune "transfer" happens where your body knows what antibodies to make for the baby. Apparently your body responds to their saliva on the glands, and that is how it knows what to produce for them. 

We also talked about engorgement, supply, and local breastfeeding resources. They recommended not using cabbage leaves for engorgement, because that apparently could  cause your supply to dry up. 

I am also loving how involved DH has been with the classes, and it's really bringing him into the process. I do have one class related complaint, but I will save that for the MBF thread.
  • We had our 2nd Bradley class last night and we covered 2 and 3- nutrition and pregnancy. I was frustrated bc I felt like our instructor didn't go over too much of anything. She talked to us about protein and fat and their importance. She also suggested we do as much organic as we can and we talked about good quality meat.

But the "pregnancy" portion was super short. She mentioned that there are forewaters but didn't explain how the uterus and placenta worked-- I felt like a lot more could have been covered and wasnt...
  • What class/es are you taking? "Naturally Prepared Childbirth" at a local fancy baby stuff store

What class # are you on, if it's a multi class series? 1 of 2

How are you liking it so far? I liked it a lot! The instructor was hilarious and down to earth. She had a lot of good stories from her time as a doula. A lot of it was review for me but I think it was really important for H to learn how labor was going to go. I tend to be the take charge person in our relationship and I think he was just assuming I'd tell him what to do when I'd really prefer more support and knowledge from him. Next class we'll do the breathing exercises and that's what I'm most excited for.

Did you learn anything surprising? I wouldn't say this is surprising, but her #1 advice for those hoping to avoid interventions was "don't get in bed." She said we'll want to get in bed during but we need to fight that urge by walking around, squatting, getting on the ball, getting in the tub, etc. unless we decide to get an epidural (which she was not at all judgy about, just trying to help those of us who want to avoid it). I also didn't realize that transition is relatively short and that pushing will probably hurt less than transition. That's super good to know!

Anything else you learned that you'd like to share with the group? She advised our partners to speak directly to us and give us simple choices, like "Do you want to go to the tub or to the ball?" and told them not, under any circumstances, to rub our arm and tell us to calm down. I thought that was very solid advice.

Were there any funny or interesting moments you want to share? During intros she asked my poor H what he'd done to prepare for the birth and he couldn't come up with anything. Neither of the other guys could either, but he was first.
  • What class/es are you taking? Right now we're taking childbirth class. Next month is infant care and breastfeeding classes.

What class # are you on, if it's a multi class series? #1 of 3 was last night

How are you liking it so far? I like it because it was very informative. The topics last night were signs and symptoms of labor and the stages of labor.

Did you learn anything surprising? One thing that stuck out to me was when she was talking about the birth and the delivering the placenta. The information said that the placenta detaches and is delivered between 5-20 minutes after the baby. But then she said that in the hospital they give Pitocin to deliver the placenta faster. What if you want to delay cord cutting? Why does it need to be sooner? She mentioned possible bleeding if it's left too long but that doesn't seem like it has to be faster all the time... Anyone else know about this?

Anything else you learned that you'd like to share with the group? Seriously thinking about being in labor has made me wonder about having another woman with me at the hospital. Of course I still want my husband with me but he got a little nervous when she was talking about helping through contractions. None of my family is around here and I don't think I could deal with my MIL or one of my SIL's (even though I love them both to death). But H's oldest sister has had 2 kids and she's very calm and direct and helpful. I'm thinking about having her in the room at least until pushing to help me and keep H more calm.

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• I also didn't realize that transition is relatively short and that pushing will probably hurt less than transition. That's super good to know!

Oh definitely!!! Transition hurt a ton, but I can honestly say that pushing felt good after that! It was like a relief to push. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @becbec28 even with delayed cord clamping/cutting it only takes a few minutes. 
    Also they do the pitocin because you don't want your body to deliver the baby and then stop. Like sometimes your body doesn't realize and just stops contracting. Believe me. You don't want that to happen  :o my body did slowed down too much/stopped contracting enough and my midwife had to reach up in there to help my placenta detach and come out. Honestly that pain was worse than the labor and delivery for me. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • @lct2008 I imagine that wouldn't be a pleasant feeling. That makes sense now, I just never heard about using pit for the placenta before.

Love my LEO!!

Kirsten Grace 1/20/17                            

• @becbec28 At our class they said the range of normal placenta delivery time after baby is 5-55 minutes. Apparently one of the reasons they encourage quick latching and nursing is that it releases oxytocin, which also causes contractions and helps the placenta release.
  • Question for all the ladies taking classes.  My husband and I are taking a birthing class and babycare/breastfeeding class at our hospital - and my doctor has said that it is very geared toward natural birth - the hospital is very mother friendly, etc.  However my doula is doubtful about how helpful hospital classes are, and wants me to take a separate natural birth class (in addition to my 2 sessions with her to prepare for the birth).  Do you think another class in addition to the hospital classes and my doula sessions are necessary?  I'm just trying to budget time/money, and not sure I want to spend another $400 on a class in addition to what I'm paying my doula.  But being well prepared and having a vaginal delivery is my goal, so I don't want to scrimp in the wrong place.  I'm also running out of space on my calendar with the holidays and all of the various appointments and classes.  What do you guys think?