Eco-Friendly Family

Why is it SO expensive?!

This is more of a rant but I'm getting really frustrated at how expensive it is to find truly natural cribs that are lead, formaldehyde and phthalate free.  Not "safe" but truly 100% free of these chemicals.  The prices are absolutely insane ranging from $800 to $1500.  I don't want to cheap out on a crib (ie:  IKEA's Sniglar) but I don't want to spend that much either.  I'm not sure why it has to cost so much to keep your child safe.  *angry*face*  I'm in Canada which makes things much harder as most of the good companies are American. They don't ship here and even if they do, our dollar is crap right now anyways.  

The Naturepedic and Lullaby mattresses are also in the $300 range and don't even get me started on chemical-free strollers.  Those prices will also blow your mind. I can't, in good conscience, give in and compromise but I just am so fed up!  (Haha!)   
Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie

Re: Why is it SO expensive?!

• jrschubejrschube member
    edited August 2017
    I'm with you on the insane prices for cribs.  I actually did go with the sniglar though and have absolutely loved it.  It has a smaller footprint than many other cribs which is nice.  Also, I believe the base part under the mattress used to be mdf, but they changed it to some kind of fabric and wood thing.  Totally understand if you just don't like it, but I can vouch that it's honestly not bad!

Do you have Buy Buy Baby?  They constantly have coupons and I bought my Lullaby Earth with a 20% off coupon, making it much more affordable. 

Edit: just looked at the age of this thread.  Oops! Guessing you got your gear sorted by now :)