July 2017 Moms
Options

FTM - Questions to ask your OBGYN / Midwife / Doctor

edited November 2016 in July 2017 Moms
I'm thinking this would be a good thread to have stickied so we don't get people asking this over and over. Thoughts? Any other questions that should be added?

1. What screenings do I need?
2. Do I have an increased risk of any specific complications or conditions?
3. What vaccinations should I get and when?
4. What kind of diet should I follow? What should I eat and drink a lot of, and what should I avoid?
5. Should I be doing any particular kind of exercise? What kind and amount is safe?
6. Ask how much weight your OB would like you to gain during the pregnancy.
7. What symptoms should I expect, and how can I manage them? What’s normal, and what should I call you about?
8. What should I do if I…Don’t feel well? Have cramping? Spotting? Run a fever?
9. Are the prescription medications I’m currently taking safe? If not, what can I take or do instead? (If you take any)
10. What over-the-counter medications are safe, and in what amount? Are there any I should avoid?
11.Which prenatal classes do you recommend?
12. How long can I work when I'm pregnant?
13. Are there any restrictions I need to know about traveling while pregnant?
14. Are there any restrictions on sex throughout my pregnancy?
15. Can I… Dye my hair? Use sunless tanner? Get a massage? Paint my nails? Go to the spa? Are there any changes to my beauty routine I need to make?

Edited: Organized the questions in more of an order of priority. NOTE: Order / questions may vary a little depending on each person's situation. 

Me:28 | DH: 28
Married: 07-2014
TTC #1: Since November 2015
Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
     due to previous issues.
***TW***
BFP: 11/4/2016
*TW*
 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: FTM - Questions to ask your OBGYN / Midwife / Doctor

• Options
    thatcmathatcma member
    edited November 2016
    Agreed! 

ET remove tags.
  • Options
    do we need more stickies?  
    EDD: 13/07/2017
    PAIF/PgAL
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think it's a great post that we can refer people to, thanks for making it! I'm not sure that it needs to be stickied, though. We're likely going to have a bunch by the time this is over (the three we have plus US, AW announcements, birth announcements, etc - plus the ones that the BGs add all on their own when they have their own announcements or questions) that we don't necessarily need half of the first page to be just stickies. Then no one reads any of them.  
    TTC history in spoiler
    Me: 31 Him: 37
    Married: Oct 2015
    Baby G born June 2017
    TTC#2: July 2018
    BFP #2: 2/6/19 MC 3/14/19
    BFP#3 from IUI #2: 6/30/20 EDD 3/9/21

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    edited November 2016
    @osucma  - Thanks! Any other questions you think should be added?

@Jsweet  - I don't think it matters how many stickies we have as long as they're valid threads to be stickied (like this one and previous / current stickied threads). Especially if it can help prevent clutter and keep the board more organized as more members join the group. I have seen boards with around 7 stickied threads. :)
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Well if we don't stickie it, maybe bump it once a week or so until all first appointments are done? 
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    This does not need to be stickied IMO bc a first appointment is a one time deal. Every single J17 first time appt will be over within 7-8 weeks! 
    Eta: Plus, we all have google.
    Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one that was thinking that. 
  • Options
    Common consensus is to not have it stickied (for some very good points). Got it :)
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Also ask about their after-hours policy. I had an OB who flat out said no calls after hours unless I was in labor. Ask if they have a fee for medications called in after hours (emergency/non-emergency)if they have a nurses line for questions, check your insurance for the same services. 

Ask if your blood work suggests you need to take any supplements like folic acid in addition to your prenatals (hopefully they tell you but that's not always the case). 

Ask about billing processes. I'm amazed at how many doctors have their fees miscoded and people just pay without question. (My favorite was someone was billed for birth as a non-mandatory surgery and insurance refused coverage. All it was was a miskeyed billing code.)

Ask for a hospital tour!

Also, I'm probably the minority here, but OBs are likely less qualified on nutrition then we might like to think. You should see if they'll give you a referral to a dietitian. And preferably recommend someone who can tell you have to break down your macronutrients so you get enough of all of them. 
  • Options
    Also ask about who will be there when you're in labor. Many women are shocked that their doctor won't be the one delivering their baby, or even someone in their practice (just oncall doctor at hospital). Make sure you know what your practice does and that it isn't a deal breaker for you. You need to be comfortable with who is delivering and supporting you during your labor or scheduled c-section if need be!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.