February 2016 Moms

Nursing strike??

My LO has always been a great eater we started him on solids around 4 1/2 months he was very ready. So far we have tried everything (with doctors approval). But recently he is not having it I've heard of some babies weaning themselves but everything I've read say that's impossible unless your baby is closer to 2 yrs old. 

Then I see that he could be going on a nursing strike? Have any of you moms experienced this before? What has helped you get you LO back on track?

Re: Nursing strike??

• Lurking from January.  DS has become less and less interested in nursing as he's been getting more solids.  I have a feeling he's going to self wean in the next few months.  He also has almost no interest in bottles anymore.  I have found that if I put the milk in a sippy cup, he's all about that.
    Now I mostly try to nurse him when he's sleepy, he still seems to enjoy it then.
  • My mom swears I weaned myself around 10 months. She said I kept pushing her boob away and biting her whenever she tried to nurse, but I was really into the solid foods. Looking back, that makes me feel really bad. She must've felt terrible!

So. I guess I don't think it's impossible that he might be starting to wean, but it is unlikely. Maybe just keep offering in case it's a temporary phase? Could you pump in the meantime and get him his milk in purees/bottles/cups?
  • Loading the player...
  • This happened with my first when she was . . . Probably around the same age, about 9 months. I was working a lot of overtime at the time so she was getting lots of bottles. She started preferring bottles over me, even when I was home. I just kept pumping and pouring it into bottles. I felt like a dairy cow haha. I think it lasted 2 - 3 weeks but can't remember for sure. I stopped thinking about nursing as a source of food and more for comfort to help her fall asleep and she kept nursing for more than a yr after that, for naps and bedtime.

Just keep offering, especially when he's tired or upset. As long as you pump to make bottles for him and keep up your supply, you have time for him to get over this phase.

• I work full time so I'm always pumping. If I'm home he will take the boob till he goes to sleep.  He is at Day care most of the day and gets bottles or the soppy cup.  
  • *lurking from Jan 16*
    I thought for sure my LO was self weaning at 8 months. turns out it was just teething! he popped two teeth and within a week things were back to normal. Now he's cutting a few more and we're going through the same thing again at nearly 10 months. Just keep holding on, mama. They will come back around!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers