February 2017 Moms
Options

Opinions on Early Ind

I was talking to my best friend towards to the end of her pregnancy a couple of weeks ago and her doctor was going induce the day after her due date because of how big her baby was (she was 8lbs). She ended up going into labor that night on her own. I was also talking to my friend at work today and he mentioned his girlfriend will probably be getting induced at 39w due to the size of her baby too. I was curious to see what you guys thought about it. I had pre-eclampsia with my first pregnancy and had to be induced for DD. I'm not particularly eager to repeat the experience again if I can avoid it.  

Has anyone thought about this thus far?
BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17

Re: Opinions on Early Ind

• Options
    I will likely be induced if I dont go by 40 weeks. As I'm always induced for one thing or another . 

Ds1-41 weeks 
    Ds2-40.4 weeks
    Dd-1 40.2 weeks.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    On my @mrsgabus your baby's like taking their time lol. 

I've never been induced and really don't want to be. Both my kids were smaller

DS 5.11
    DD 6.11

So I'm expecting this one to be similar. I thought 8 lbs was still average size and not a concern? Anyway if an induction is recommended for me, I'll immediately do a ton of research into it and weigh their reasons.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I personally would want to avoid one as much as possible. They didn't end well for any of my friends (emergency c sections). DD was a week late and I would've been induced a few days later if I hadn't gone into labor!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    kswiger06 said:
    On my @mrsgabus your baby's like taking their time lol. 

I've never been induced and really don't want to be. Both my kids were smaller

DS 5.11
    DD 6.11

So I'm expecting this one to be similar. I thought 8 lbs was still average size and not a concern? Anyway if an induction is recommended for me, I'll immediately do a ton of research into it and weigh their reasons.
    8lbs is a normal sized baby. I think that's the biggest problem, is that some inductions would not be necessary because it's hard to predict baby's size by ultrasound. DD was off by 2 and 1/2 lbs. Hers was off by about that much too I believe. Each to their own obviously, I just wouldn't want to go through an induction again. I was 7hrs away from a c-section and the contractions were the absolutely worst. I toyed with the idea of going without an epidural and I just couldn't handle it. Obviously as long as the baby gets here healthy that's what matters, but I can't imagine going through all that because my baby might be a little big.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Options
    JulesFoJulesFo member
    edited November 2016
    I'll echo what PPs have said about the estimated size not being a great main reason. "They" estimated DD1 to be over 8lbs (not a huge baby in my opinion) at her due date and expressed concern if I went too late that she'd get too large. I was induced later (at just about 41 weeks) and she was just over 8 lbs. I'm not anti induction at all; it's just that the estimates are not terribly accurate and the last thing you want is a C section bc it was too early or rushed. i would be very hesitant for an induction based solely on a size estimate, especially before the due date. That's a decision for you and your dr though.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    FTM so take this with a pound of salt, but I don't want to be induced for reasons PPs have said. My midwives will not induce for any reason but if I go over 42 weeks I can no longer birth in the birth center, i have to go to the hospital.
  • Options
    I wouldn't do it if not medically necessary. I got induced with DS #2 at 40w5d and it failed. After 17 hours with my water broke, he still wasn't ready, so I ended up with a c-section. Which led to a repeat c-section, which is leading to a scheduled 3rd c-section this time.  :/
  • Options
    MommaBean said:

I was induced with DS due to "pregnancy induced hypertension" and I was just telling my OB (different one) yesterday that I don't think it was medically necessary and I won't agree so easily this time. Much prefer to let baby/my body handle things to the extent possible. 
    Same!  I was induced last time, against my will, because I was "heading toward" pre-e.  IMO inductions unless 100% medically necessary are docs being overly cautious and causing more harm than good.  Doctors scare you into thinking it's for the good of baby, but so often they cause unnecessary long, painful labors and end in C-section. I had 5days in hospital in labor before baby made her arrival. This time no one is pressuring me-unless I HAVE pre-E, no one is messing with my babies arrival. 
  • Options
    Kashy17Kashy17 member
    edited November 2016
    I was induced at 36 weeks because my water broke and my body never went into labor.  they induced me the day after to see if my body will do its thing but it didn't .   

I hope to not need induction this time and will only do it if absolutly nessisary. 

I know of some women who have tried to request early induction because they were "done with being  pregnant ".  

• Options
    I'd rather not be induced. I know that a lot of times they end up in C-Sections. With my son I wanted to avoid induction and ended up being forced into it because I was almost at 42 weeks and I was having contractions. However I had been having contractions that would come for an hour or two and stop for a month or longer. I knew I wasn't in labor. Anyway, they thought I was and admitted me. I got to the floor and contractions stopped. I then had to be induced. It was horrible and I missed a C-section by three minutes if I wasn't able to push him out in thirty minutes. 
    Sonrtimes they are absolutely necessary, but I prefer to let it happen naturally. My son was also 6lbs 9oz even after almost going to 42 weeks.
  • Options
    My water broke at 39+4, but my body wasn't ready at all. Like zero effaced, zero dilated. 
    I had cervadil and pitocin. It took 30 hours for my body to get there but I only actually pushed for about 10 mins. 

• Options
    I would avoid it if at all possible. 

But sometimes it's not possible to avoid. 

I too wouldn't based on a size estimate. but if you are high risk or there are other complications then consider it. 

I had a c/s with my son because he was breech. He came on his own at 39 weeks (c/s was going to be at 40) so we did the c/s then. I was HR so they would not let me go past 40 weeks. 

This time I have no one to watch my son if my husband wants to be there when the baby is born (and he does). I am HR for a couple reasons this time. I was going to ask for another c/s scheduled at 40 weeks but due to being HR, repeat c/s, history of having a baby earlier than 40 weeks, and the need to have a family member plan to travel to stay with our son, I opted for a c/s at 39 weeks. If the baby comes earlier than that I will just have to have the c/s without my husband so he can be with our son. 

if you have an OB you trust, then ask them questions, listen to the answers, consider your choices and decide. don't let them scare you into something, but there are risks either way (going past 42 weeks, if you are HR, etc). that deserve consideration. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    Hmm I was induced at 41.5 weeks with DS. He was predicted to be a big baby and they were right, but that had nothing to do with why they induced. My doctor told me he wasn't comfortable with letting me go to 42 weeks or past that point. I know it's horrible I can't even remember exactly why, but maybe something to do with the placenta deteriorating at that point? 

I think personally I would avoid it unless there was a medical reason to do it (like in your case the first time around @Aussie45, pre-e is a damn good reason) but like many people including yourself have said, they can be way off with predictions of the babys size so it seems unnecessary. Or they might predict a large baby like mine was and actually make an accurate prediction, but even then my doctor didn't see this as a reason to induce early. All doctors are different obviously though so who knows? 

My induction did lead to a csection, but it wasn't an emergency. I pushed for over 6 hours trying to get him out and it just wasn't happening, but due to his head circumference and positioning, not his larger weight/taller height. it isn't something I'll need to deal with this time around because it will be my 3rd csection. I wanted a VBAC with DD, but she was breech so it was an RCS at 39 weeks. 

I hope it all works out for you and you don't feel backed into a corner or forced to induce for any reason if you're not comfortable doing so and are looking to avoid it. 
  • Options
    Jab3 said:
    Hmm I was induced at 41.5 weeks with DS. He was predicted to be a big baby and they were right, but that had nothing to do with why they induced. My doctor told me he wasn't comfortable with letting me go to 42 weeks or past that point. I know it's horrible I can't even remember exactly why, but maybe something to do with the placenta deteriorating at that point?
    Yeah, my provider will induce once I hit 41 weeks for the same reason. Once I hit 40 weeks I need to go for a monitoring ultrasound every day or every other day (I know I should remember because I hit 41 weeks with DD - the morning of the day I was supposed to be induced is when I went into labor).
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• Options
    I feel I should add that while my induction may not have been strictly necessary, it went fine. Started pitocin late the night before, had my water broken around 8:30a, and delivered at 2:34p with about 30 min of pushing.  I have a feeling he would've come soon without induction (done at 40w) bc it seemed my body was ready. 
  • Options
    With DS, I had an induction set for 41 weeks (they don't go over 41 weeks at this practice) but ended up going into labor on my own following a membrane sweep at 40+5. I'm pretty sure that's what did it... I was walking around like a penguin, that one really hurt. 

This time i'm getting a c-section and it'll be scheduled around 39 weeks. I wish I could get closer to 40 weeks but we'll see what happens. 

Generally, I'm also of the opinion of not inducing if not medically necessary. I'm a firm believer that baby will come when he/she is ready and those who ask to be induced because "they're done being pregnant or want a specific day" are ridiculous. I'm specifically speaking about ppl who ask around the 37-38 week mark and aren't even close to being overdue. 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Options
    i'm hoping to avoid it if at all possible. 

i'm no expert by a long stretch, but my reading seems to indicate that many ob's induce for reasons that are not actually medically necessary, like size of baby, which is only a rough estimate. i've also read that some do it so that the birth fits into their schedules more neatly.

and as @Lafreeman21 points out (science for the win!) induction leads to c-section at twice the rate of un-induction. likely due to pitocin taking the body into advanced contractions before its ready and tiring the mother and baby out (among other reasons). 

i feel like its important to add the disclaimer though, that this is only my opinion. and as a feminist, i 100% believe that each woman knows what's right for her and has the right to make her own choices. so ladies, please induce away if that's what you want!
    welcoming our ewok 2/6/17
  • Options
    I was pretty against and still am un medically needed early inductions. With ds I went into spontaneous labor after my water broke. With dd though my husband had just deployed- so emotionally I wasn't in the best place honestly and my mom could only be with me at a certain time and I didn't want to give birth alone. So I decided to get induced at 39w4d. That being said my bishop score was good so I didn't have an increased risk that way- and when I went into the hospital I was actually already having contractions. Which made me feel better about it. I didn't even really need pitocin. They broke my water and gave me pitocin for like 1 hour. That being said I don't want to do that again. This time I will be waiting till my body goes into labor unless there's a medical reason. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I will avoid if possible. We were induced for my first - medically indicated but I could have probably delayed another few days (GD/2blood vessel cord). I was well into progressing on my own at the point of induction. I was dilated/effaced and having regular contractions. I just wasn't there yet.

The practice I was with had an older doctor who rushed to C sections (especially with complex pregnancies -like mine). He bullied my sister into one 2 months prior. She did not need one!!
    In a panic to avoid the same fate I did not oppose induction  - so as to have the better doctors on rotation. It worked for us, but I would prefer to go on my own this time since we do not have the same complication! I also have all amazing doctors now !!
  • Options
    Kashy17 said:
    I was induced at 36 weeks because my water broke and my body never went into labor.  they induced me the day after to see if my body will do its thing but it didn't .   

I hope to not need induction this time and will only do it if absolutly nessisary. 

I know of some women who have tried to request early induction because they were "done with being  pregnant ".  
    Yikes at that last sentence
  • Options
    My OB said she avoids induction unless medically necessary. At 41.5 weeks they start talking about ways to try to get it started (like foods, exercise, etc), but that she feels baby is ready when it's ready.  
    That's so awesome! I tried to have conveetsation with my OB about letting things happen naturalllt and shared my reasoning. She started over talking me saying if I get to 40 they will schedule an induction. I was immediately turned off. I hate when providers don't consider what you are saying.
  • Options
    The guy who sits beside me at works wife was due last tuesday & got taken in to be induced today. Here they will let you go 10 days past due date then its in for induction. Really hoping to go naturally before it comes to that!
  • Options
    I was induced because of pre-e and wish they would of just done the c/s instead. I actually did make it to 10cm and was able to push after 48 hours of hell but can't fit a baby out of me.   Pitocin plus magnesium is awful. 
    It really is. I was on both and it was just terrible. Plus I didn't really progress right away and wasn't starving so I begged for food. I literally puked so many times that first night. It took forever for me to progress and I finally got her out. Honestly I think if my doctor suggests an induction before 41w or for a non-medical reason, I'll laugh in his face. Unless I absolutely have to, I'm not going through that again.
  • Options
    As a FTM, one of my biggest fears is being induced and leading to a c-section. I am really hoping that 1) LO comes on her own or 2) An induction will only be an option if it's medically necessary.

I will try to advocate for myself and LO as best as I can to avoid induction unless it is absolutely necessary. 
  • Options
    My OB will schedule an induction if you go past 40 weeks. DD was born at 40+4 and my induction was scheduled for two days later. I did not want to be induced AT ALL so I did everything I could think of to get labor started and my water broke on its own. This time around I would like to avoid an induction again and I hope it works out that way. 
  • Options
    **** Lurker from D'16******

Those of you frowning on 'because they were done being pregnant' inductions need to consider some reasons why people might be done with being pregnant.

I just hit 36 weeks, but have had 18 L&D trips to stop PTL since being 28 weeks. I am currently in day 9 of actual monitored 4-5 min apart, 60-90 second long contractions. I am still pregnant, as LO isn't positioned correctly to dilate my cervix more.

I am done being pregnant at this point. If I wasn't so close to my VBaC (so they won't induce at all) I would be scheduling an induction for the very 1st day they would let me.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    @kate08young I think people weren't referring to someone in your situation... clearly you've been through a lot and I understand that you're done and ready to have your baby in your arms. I think it's more like the people who are just uncomfortable towards the end without actual valid reasons to "be done". And I know that does happen... at least it has with a few people I've known. 
  • Options
    @homemake It does happen that 'its just too long' or something. I do understand that, the explanations given seemed to not consider that there could be other reasons why some one is ready to be done early.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    @Kate08Young I had almost the exact same thing happen with my first. I went in to preterm labor twice and had to have it medically stopped. Then bed rest. The contractions happened all the time, which is why I knew I wasn't in labor when they admitted me thinking I was. I still didn't want to be induced. I was absolutely ready for it to be over so I get what you are feeling. 
  • Options
    @homemake It does happen that 'its just too long' or something. I do understand that, the explanations given seemed to not consider that there could be other reasons why some one is ready to be done early.
    Yeah, I'm one of those who frowns on people asking to be induced for no valid or medical reason. 

IMO, I consider you're situation a medical issue.   It's not at all for selfish reasons so you really don't fit that criteria. I honestly wish you all the best and definitely a smooth delivery!
    This. What you're going through is completely different than someone who had had an uneventful pregnancy and can't wait to be done. Pregnancy is rough and of course we're all anxious to hold our babies in our arms. There's a difference between wanting to be done and wanting an induction when it's not medically necessary. Each woman to her own though, if that's the choice they want to make, then that's their prerogative. I asked personally what people thought and what they would choose for themselves if in that situation. 

I would consider yours to be medically necessary. I hope everything goes well with your labor and delivery. It sounds like it's already been a whirlwind of a ride for you and your LO!
  • Options
    Most babies first time babies are born at 41.3 weeks. I fully believe that your body is made for childbirth and you and your baby will start labor when the time is right. Unless absolutely necessary, I would wait for labor to begin naturally. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker