June 2016 Moms

Solids??

Re: Solids??

• I didn't directly ask, but I phoned in a message asking about the puffs because the daycare insists that he should munch with all the other infants at snack time. My son doesn't show the slightest interest in table food at all, though he eats his purees very well and isn't picky about it. So I called just to get an answer and while we were cleared for puffs, the nurse just said he only wanted him eating crackers and such until he's a year. I don't know. It could be that my LO still doesn't sit 100% unsupported or it could be because my husband has food allergies and LO has a milk allergy. 
    Our pediatrician has been in practice for more than 30 years, so we always take his advice.
  • I didn't directly ask, but I phoned in a message asking about the puffs because the daycare insists that he should munch with all the other infants at snack time. My son doesn't show the slightest interest in table food at all, though he eats his purees very well and isn't picky about it. So I called just to get an answer and while we were cleared for puffs, the nurse just said he only wanted him eating crackers and such until he's a year. I don't know. It could be that my LO still doesn't sit 100% unsupported or it could be because my husband has food allergies and LO has a milk allergy. 
    Our pediatrician has been in practice for more than 30 years, so we always take his advice.
    Yeah that makes sense- I think in general taking your Pediatrician's advice is a good idea. I also think BLW is a pretty new concept so some people aren't comfortable with it yet.

Savannah is the opposite, she shows no interest in puréed food and needs something besides breastmilk! Lol - we also have no food allergies on either side of the family which makes a difference
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Loading the player...
  • bankssl1 said:
    I forgot about puffs--maybe I'll try some so he can get used to the feeling of chunks in his mouth but then hopefully they dissolve before hitting the back of his throat. Teething crackers work the same?
    We use these and they dissolve way faster than puffs.  You can even break them up into small pieces for him to try.  

I don't think we have those here but I'm sure there is something similar.
    Yes! We use these too, they have sweet potato and banana flavor, carrots and blueberry and these pea and spinach! We get them at Kroger, I think Target has them too.. But wal mart doesn't have them
    I'm Often not able to find the same food products here since I'm in Canada BUT there are similar products...somewhere. I didn't have any luck at the grocery store. I'll be in VA for a couple of weeks starting this weekend so I'm sure I'll be able to get HappyBaby while visiting!
  • Delitachan Mine said the same. He said that Jack should still be drinking the same amount of oz also and that food before one is just for fun. We are still doing purees and the only finger foods he gets are the rice crackers that melt in his mouth.
  • bankssl1 said:
    Delitachan Mine said the same. He said that Jack should still be drinking the same amount of oz also and that food before one is just for fun. We are still doing purees and the only finger foods he gets are the rice crackers that melt in his mouth.
    Mine didn't specify but we felt more comfortable starting with purée. It's an "us" thing more than a "him" one. I just started giving him those puff thingies today and he seems to be interested...doesn't love it but doesn't hate it either.
  • My little guy loves the puffs, but I don't feel comfortable having daycare give them to him yet...I want him to be a little bit more competent about the chewing part before I let daycare give him the puffs.  I know they cannot watch as closely.  I usually chew a couple puffs along with him so he can see how it's done.  He gives me this look like he knows I am stealing his food... Lol.  I also have the larger teether things too, but he bites off huge pieces... Freaks me out!  I tried the Happy Baby Creamies, but it made him gag and throw up his whole dinner and the small amount of milk he had before dinner.  I felt terrible.  They were strawberry, raspberry, and carrot.  Maybe it was too tangy?
  • meggyme said:
    Has anyone else seen a big drop in the amount of food/formula your LO is consuming at all?  For the last week or two Lillyana hasn't been finishing her 4 oz bottles.  She's only been taking about 5-6 4 oz bottles a day.  She isn't interested in her solids everyday either.  We try to get her to eat but she's just too busy.  We have been working hard on sleep training and schedules.  Do you think that could be it?
    Is she teething? Some babies don't like eating when their mouths hurt.
    I don't think so.  She had her first two teeth break through on NYE but nothing since.  Not showing strong signs either.
    Ok well as of this morning...major teething!  That must be it.
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I can't wait until LO is done with purees and formula. The daycare teacher told us that at 1 year, we don't need to take anything on a daily basis. They provide the milk, breakfast, lunch and dinner. The only exception is if we are giving him toddler formula or if we don't want him to eat something like sugary cereals. *sigh* 4 more months.
  • Since I couldn't bring my homemade baby food across the border, I bought a variety of LoveChild pouches. Some pouches were just single foods (just pear, just apple) and others were combos of fruits and veggies, then I bought some with quinoa. Damien HATED all of them exxcept the ones that were just pear and just apple. Some of them even made him throw up big time (major gag reflex). I went to the store today and picked up a bunch of purées by Beech-Nut and thus far he loves them. YAY! I'm glad he loves them since that will be my back up if we run out of baby food an I haven't had a chance to make him some or if we travel and want an easy meal for him.
  • Since I couldn't bring my homemade baby food across the border, I bought a variety of LoveChild pouches. Some pouches were just single foods (just pear, just apple) and others were combos of fruits and veggies, then I bought some with quinoa. Damien HATED all of them exxcept the ones that were just pear and just apple. Some of them even made him throw up big time (major gag reflex). I went to the store today and picked up a bunch of purées by Beech-Nut and thus far he loves them. YAY! I'm glad he loves them since that will be my back up if we run out of baby food an I haven't had a chance to make him some or if we travel and want an easy meal for him.
    We use a lot of beech nut, she doesn't love them because she's not really into purees- but she seems to like them versus gerber, etc. They're a little bit chunkier so I think they seem a little more like real food.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • We use that too. We also use sprout and happy baby pouches but he likes beechnut the best
  • We used to make the food but I'm so afraid of making my own chicken for fear of leaving pink anywhere. 
    My LO will eat ANYTHING. He ate a whole jar of spinach and peas. The smell of spinach was repulsive, but he ate it willingly. Of course, it gave him the farts all night, lol. 

• So far Levi is still favoring purees.  He picks up food with no problem, sometimes he actually tastes it, and then just holds it or puts it down.  Usually all done with a disgusted face which has to be mostly feel related since I don't know is if he's ever officially swallowed anything but bits of green beans and some sweet potato. (See pic below for broccoli,and most other finger food, reaction).  So I thought I would try stage 3 food today since he's crawling.  Epic fail.  Some went in his mouth (spoon) but all came back out from gagging and spitting and face making.  So, I'll be making/getting more stage 2 type a little while longer. 

• So far Levi is still favoring purees.  He picks up food with no problem, sometimes he actually tastes it, and then just holds it or puts it down.  Usually all done with a disgusted face which has to be mostly feel related since I don't know is if he's ever officially swallowed anything but bits of green beans and some sweet potato. (See pic below for broccoli,and most other finger food, reaction).  So I thought I would try stage 3 food today since he's crawling.  Epic fail.  Some went in his mouth (spoon) but all came back out from gagging and spitting and face making.  So, I'll be making/getting more stage 2 type a little while longer. 

Damien still doesn't love anything other than purées but he is getting used to puffs. I will continue to try more solid foods every now and then to encourage him but I don't want to push too hard.
  • @StayingFocused that picture is adorable. His face is very, "I'll try this because you gave it to me, but I'm not happy about it." :) 
  • I think the best thing to do if you want them to eat BLW style is just have purée there but still always put something in front of them to pick up and eat.  I also think watching us pick food up and eat really helps cause they like to copy what we do.
  • Yea it's funny bc he will just keep doing it! We do the purees too but I like to have something he can grab.  He has even managed to get food in his mouth with a spoon now and then.  He's figuring out puffs too.
  • Because spaghetti photos are so much fun! 

• Is it possible for a baby to develop allergies to a food after a period of not being allergic to it? Kind of a stupid question. I was pretty consistent about giving Damien peanut butter every few days but stopped for a few weeks (just forgot in all the madness of getting ready for our trip and then the trip itself). I don't think he would suddenly develop an allergy to it but since allergies are kind of a foreign concept to me, I wasn't really sure.
  • Is it possible for a baby to develop allergies to a food after a period of not being allergic to it? Kind of a stupid question. I was pretty consistent about giving Damien peanut butter every few days but stopped for a few weeks (just forgot in all the madness of getting ready for our trip and then the trip itself). I don't think he would suddenly develop an allergy to it but since allergies are kind of a foreign concept to me, I wasn't really sure.
    Allergies build up over time, so I would say yes. I would give the dr a call.
  • Tawny87 said:
    Is it possible for a baby to develop allergies to a food after a period of not being allergic to it? Kind of a stupid question. I was pretty consistent about giving Damien peanut butter every few days but stopped for a few weeks (just forgot in all the madness of getting ready for our trip and then the trip itself). I don't think he would suddenly develop an allergy to it but since allergies are kind of a foreign concept to me, I wasn't really sure.
    Allergies build up over time, so I would say yes. I would give the dr a call.
    Good to know! I gave him a little bit today and hasn't shown any reaction but it did get me pondering. I'm keeping a watchful eye on him just in case.
  • Damien has developed an awfully sensitive gag reflux over the past couple of weeks. We have no idea what is causing it and we've tried a few ways to avoid it but they didn't help. It often leads to vomiting up what he just ate. Doesn't matter if he has an empty stomach or not, what food it is, how thinned out or chunky the purée is, or how fast/slow he eats. He isn't sick and he goes right back to eating after he vomits. All smiles too. It isn't every meal that he vomits but he gags nearly every meal it seems.
  • So my good eater has started turning food away. Nooooooo... He used to live eggs and would eat a whole one for breakfast, now god forbid there's eggs in his presence, he is not having it.  How are we supposed.to deal with pickiness at this age.  They are too young to understand "this is what you are getting and that's it" but I don't wanna become a short order cook trying to find what he will eat. Ugh it begins
  • On my hand, my LO is now more interested in our food. He was refusing the bottle several times this past week but wanted puffs, yogurt melts and even my chicken salad sandwich. On the airplane ride back home, he was gnawing on a cookie package and pierced a hole in it, leading to crumbs falling out of it and into his mouth. He was quiet the rest of the plane ride and I thought "ah, these things feel good on his teeth!" Nope. Saw him suck his fingers after each bite on the package (a trademark he does when he savors things) and saw the little hole in the package. Now he wants our snacks, like pretzels, chips, etc.

• Baked sweet potato was a crowd favorite tonight. I'm glad this kid is getting more into solids.
  • About how much food are all of your kids eating? I feel like Calvin is always hungry. 
  • About how much food are all of your kids eating? I feel like Calvin is always hungry. 
    Ethan has 1-2 pouches for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 4 bottles a day, plus water and snacks (puffs and teething biscuits). 
    Here's what our day looks like-
    6-6:30: Breastfeed
    8:30: Yogurt with chopped up fruit
    10:30: 4oz bottle
    12:30: lunch (chicken w/ veggies or mac n cheese w/ veggies)
    2:00: 4oz bottle
    3:30 breastfeed or snack
    4:30 breastfeed or Snack (whichever we didn't do at 3:30)
    6:30 dinner (whatever we're having)
    7:30 breastfeed

then MOTN breastfeeding normally 1-2x

Laat night I gave her one of the oatmeal and fruit pouches after dinner in an attempt to get her to sleep through the night, but it didn't work

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Damien eats a total of 6-8oz of fruit each day, 2-3oz of cereal, 4-6oz of veggies, and 4-6oz of protein. We're still doing purees mostly but started introducing soft solids this week (tonight's dinner will be sweet potatoes with chicken). He drinks somewhere between 24-32oz of formula each day too, though that number has decreased just a tad because of daycare. I'm not worried though, it will level out once he's used to daycare. 
  • artlea2013artlea2013 member
    edited April 2017
    About how much food are all of your kids eating? I feel like Calvin is always hungry. 
    I feel like that with Miles too, but then he refuses most of his dinner  :/ Our schedule looks pretty similar to @laurenm2123 but daycare bottles are 6 ounces. Well, they're supposed to be, but my mom said he's been refusing the last 1-1.5 ounces 75%+ of the time. I think that sounds about right to moving to solid foods for hunger rather than just tasty alternatives/play (BLW, no purees here). 

I think our babies are all getting to the point where they understand that the puree/solid food they are getting is more than just tasty, it's also for satisfying hunger. But they are also still very attached to their liquid diet, so they're loading up on both. Over the next month that should calm down. Also, there is a growth spurt around 9 months, so that could be the cause of the super hunger
    Me: 32 DH: 31 *The old lady by 5 whole weeks*
    Married: 11/2013
    M: 6/2016  E: 5/2018
  • Levi would devour watermelon before all these ear infections started.  Now, I can't get him to eat fruit at all that isn't in a pouch.  He won't even try melon if any kind, banana is no go, and he didn't like peaches today.  I've got to try and find a grocery store with strawberries and blueberries and try those again.  He tears up the veggies like nobody's business though.  Just makes breakfast hard.  
    About 4oz for breakfast 8-12oz lunch and 8-12oz dinner (all pureed fruits and vegetables plus rice cereal). About 6oz of formula a day and 4 breast feeding sessions. 
    Madelyn drinks 5 6-oz bottles and eats three meals a day.  Generally breakfast is a yogurt and some fruit, or a scrambled egg.  Lunch and dinner is usually some chicken breast cut up, or a chicken nugget, some veggies (peas, corn, green beans), some berries/pear/banana. 

Pedi appt is next week, last time he told me to wait on introducing beef but I don't really know why, so we haven't done that yet.

• Is anyone elses LO only eating purees still?  She is able to eat 1-2 puffs but that's it.  Anytime we try to feed her anything other than pureed foods, she chokes on them.
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!

• Is anyone elses LO only eating purees still?  She is able to eat 1-2 puffs but that's it.  Anytime we try to feed her anything other than pureed foods, she chokes on them.
    Maybe start off with something squishier, like mashed sweet potatoes (as opposed to a purée) or steamed carrot pieces or even yogurt with some small fruit in it. Babies need to learn how to move food around in their mouths and "chew" and softer foods make it a bit easier
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
    I agree with trying softer chunks first.  Also keep in mind the difference between choking and gagging.  I know it's freaky but if she is gagging, just let it happen.  It how they learn when something is in the wrong spot and they need to move to in their mouth.   

I agree with trying softer chunks first.  Also keep in mind the difference between choking and gagging.  I know it's freaky but if she is gagging, just let it happen.  It how they learn when something is in the wrong spot and they need to move to in their mouth.   

Thank you for notating this.  I KNOW this information but as a FTM, obviously I needed a reminder.  When I said choking, it is actually gagging but unfortunately she's thrown up 3 times from this.  We will continue to try and see how it goes, I guess she's just taking longer to learn this.

Thank you for notating this.  I KNOW this information but as a FTM, obviously I needed a reminder.  When I said choking, it is actually gagging but unfortunately she's thrown up 3 times from this.  We will continue to try and see how it goes, I guess she's just taking longer to learn this.
    Damien is doing the same thing these days, it will take some time for him to get the hang of it but in the meantime we're on perpetual clean-up duty. 
  • I know it seems like a step back when we're all introducing more solid foods but does anyone make/buy pouches? Jackie has had a couple recently, and you can't beat them for on the go convenience. I got one of the pouch squeeze stations from my sister, but I'm debating if it's worth it to make them myself or not.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::