June 2017 Moms

low progesterone levels?

Hi June board! My EDD is 7/1/17 so I'm mostly hanging out in the July club, but thought I would post this question here as well since some of you are a bit further along. 

Had blood work done yesterday and my HGC is a healthy level, but my progesterone is low. Anyone else ever go through this before? Guess I'll be taking suppositories for the next several weeks and hope all continues to go well! (had an early loss before, so a little nervous!) Anything to look out for?
BabyGaga

BabyGaga

Re: low progesterone levels?

• I dont believe I had this drawn? is it a required/normal blood test? 
  • So I am sorry I do not know what is and what is not normal. Hopefully  it is fine though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had progesterone checked when my RE did my infertility testing and then it was checked again when I had my betas drawn. My first progesterone number, before pregnancy, was really low. My RE didn't give me a number but he said it was "too low to be corrected with progesterone supplementation alone." I ended up doing a couple of Clomid cycles before I got my positive pregnancy test. My progesterone when I had my beta drawn was 22.6 at 13DPO which is good. My RE said the number was only as good as it was because of the Clomid and he still put me on progesterone supplementation till week 13. So I have another couple of weeks.

I'm 8w5d now and everything seems to be going well. I had my last ultrasound at 7w3d and baby was measuring 1 day ahead with a 163 heart rate. Everything looked great so my RE congratulated me on "graduating" to the care of an OB and passed my case off to an OB. My next ultrasound isn't for another week but everything seems to be going well as I haven't had any bleeding or cramping. So I'm assuming the progesterone supplementation is doing its job.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I've been taking the progesterone gel suppositories for 3 weeks now. The gel doesn't enter your bloodstream so your levels may still show as low in your blood tests. The first week I was lightheaded quite often, which is listed as one of the side effects.  Otherwise just some mild irritation.
    Total TMI, but a necessary evil, the gel will build up in your vagina so you will have to clean it out, it ends up looking like cottage cheese and is disgusting! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had low progesterone levels in my blood draw results as well. My hcg levels were fine. My doctor has me on Prometrium (an oral supplement). I will supplement until 12 weeks when the placenta takes over.

I was on Prometrium for my pregnancy with DD. I understand the nerves, I have a history of loss too, it's hard not to feel anxious. Your OB should go over any symptoms, etc... and if not, definitely ask!
  • I had a critically low progesterone (6.7) with my second pregnancy and started taking oral supplements but ultimately still ended up miscarrying. My RE said sometimes women can show an increase in their blood levels but the progesterone doesn't quite make it to the uterus where it's needed. This time I'm on crinone suppositories, which aren't absorbed in the blood but work directly at the uterus since you're placing it right where it's needed, and I haven't had a single issue. My blood levels continue to fall but since the mess aren't absorbed into the blood stream my RE said I'm fine and I'm still above 10 which is considered adequate.  I love the suppositories because they lengthened my LP prior to conception which I also think was an issue. Just know that after a few weeks of use they may irritate your cervix and light spotting can be normal. I totally freaked one morning when I saw a streak on the applicator.   Good luck!  
  • How low was it? Anything over 10 is considered ok. I'm on suppositories cause I did IVF they aren't bad . Just gross. But definitely make sure the doctor puts you on! Your levels will go up . 
  • My first draw showed progesterone at 8.2 and my HCG was over 1200. My doc ordered me a progesterone in oil shot and then prescribed me 200mg progesterone suppositories to take twice a day. I've been on them since 5.5 weeks and will continue to be on them until I hit 12 weeks. My progesterone now ranges from 18-24.
  • I've taken prometrium with all three of my pregnancies. My levels are usually right under 10 (9.9 this time) when I get my first betas drawn around 12dpo. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Mine were at 15 (at 5+3), but I guess they would rather be safe than sorry since my last loss was unexplained. 

And yes on the TMI, def. a lot of stuff going on in the netherworld right now lol. 
    BabyGaga

BabyGaga