October 2016 Moms

EP anyone?!

2»

Re: EP anyone?!

• @MRSCORKER I am kind of on the same plan as you. I need to start pumping and building a stash. Thinking I will introduce a bottle the week of Thanksgiving. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • i just started EPing after having some BFing issues. Before I could feed my baby and then pump out 6oz. from both boobs for a total of 12 oz. and store that, however, now that I am EPing i'm barely pulling 2-4oz from both boobs. (sometimes that is combining boobs) I pump whenever she eats and do one extra pump. This is kind of discouraging me, so I'm glad ya'll have been talking about increasing the supply. About to go try everything I can.

SO and I have been together: 5 Years+
    BFP: 03/10
    First Baby: 10/20/2016
  • Loading the player...
  • @Ashleymn Also, keep in mind that pumps do not empty the breast as effectively as baby does, they suck differently. Now that your breasts are adjusting to pump-only, it may take a little time to regulate. Also, I've learned that I simply may not be able to get my supply back up to the point where I can stash extra. At this point though, I'll be happy to be able to pump enough for at least an entire feeding in one sitting. Still working on that though. 
  • @allythekid are you having to supplement? I am just curious if you had to use a sensitive formula if you are. My pedi said to try sensitive if we need to supplement. I don't know how long I'm gonna last pumping so I've been debating doing one oz formula and 2 oz BM per bottle to kinda ween him onto formula. I just don't know when to start. 
  • @Ashleymn how often are you pumping? They say to pump at least 8 times in this newborn stage. However- I will only pump 7. I get like 32oz a day and LO drinks about 24oz a day. some of my sessions are only 2-3oz combined and some of them are 6oz combined. For some reason I am able to pump less volume at night and more during the day. I'm not sure how long I'm going to last pumping but I've been freezing a little bit each day.... although if it will run out fast at this point if I needed to use it! I think I only have a days worth of feedings in the freezer.
  • @serenaxo84 Yes, I've been supplementing. I do 2oz BM with 3-4oz Gerber Sensitive formula. Trying to stretch what little BM stash I have and can keep up with throughout the days.. Now my right breast is clogged and won't empty. Ugh, if it's not one flippin' thing it's another =/
  • @allythekid oh no! I have no experience with clogged ducts!

i can't believe Johnny eats that much! I def wouldn't be able to keep up with 6oz bottles! 
  • @serenaxo84 I pump 7-8 times a day. Thing is I didn't have a problem with a low supply until i started EPing so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. Our routines is warm bottle, diaper change, feed, sleep, pump. and shes eating every 2 hrs, longest stretch without eating is 4 hrs once or twice starting from 9 p.m so I'm sure I'm pumping enough.

SO and I have been together: 5 Years+
    BFP: 03/10
    First Baby: 10/20/2016
  • @serenaxo84 Yeah, he's a little pigglet. I've never had a new baby eat this much at once... in his defense, he refuses to eat before every 3.5-4 hours. So he goes longer stretches between feedings.
  • Lurking from N16 and I know this thread is dated but if anyone reading rremembers how much their LOs were eating from EP I'd appreciate it. I have been EPing and getting about 20oz total for the day. baby is 1 week old today and we added up he ate 24oz yesterday which seems like way more than he should. I'm afraid we are over feeding him and didn't know if theee was a difference in using mostly BM bs all formula for feeding amounts. Dr said 1-2 oz per feeding so he's way above that 
  • @kvruns we've been pretty solid on 3 oz since Charlie was about 2-3 weeks. That's when I basically started EPing and cut out BFing completely. He is 6 weeks tomorrow and we are still on 3 oz. 

I downloaded the baby feed timer app and I can put in how much he is eating and how much I am pumping and it keeps track for me. 

I just started introducing formula this week and I'm trying to wean from the pump. While i am able to pump just enough, it's a constant battle with a toddler to find the time to pump and it's beginning to get stressful to think about going back to work and feeding and pumping and getting us all out of the house by myself. 
  • @kvruns My LO was/is a big eater too. From what I understand, when you EP instead of breastfeed on demand, your BM is less concentrated with fat. BM is digested very quickly as well, so those factors combined with what kind of appetite he has will determine how much he takes. My best advice is if you feel you're over feeding him, stop feeding the bottle once he appears full and don't focus on trying to make him finish a bottle (if you do that). My little man started out eating a LOT, but it's leveled out now some. He takes about 5oz per feeding and has been doing that steadily for weeks. He is 8 weeks old BTW.
  • Thanks @serenaxo84 and @AllyTheKid I've tried Reading some bottle feeding tips to try and I've shared with my H although for him (especially during our nightly hours of crying) feeding a bottle to quiet him is his preference. He seems to have times where he wants to nearly every hour which seems crazy