November 2016 Moms

Sciatica

So I never have had sciatica with my first pregnancy. I developed it last week. I can't walk normal...constantly limping. The pain hurts so bad. Anyone have this before or have it now? Did it go away after you deliver?

Re: Sciatica

• Try to stretch as much as you can.  I put 3 pillows in a pile on the couch and do like a modified childs pose with the pillows propping up my chest every night.  It feels amazing.  I think I could sleep like that. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Me, although not severe. I prop myself up with pillows, use the whole pillow between the legs, have a sciatica cushion at work. I use the ball everyday at home and it helps. Just this week I started bringing my second ball to work and replaced my chair lol. I look like a crazy person but OMG has it helped me. Look on YouTube for some light stretches that can also help you deal. Hope you feel better soon.

Me: 28 <3 DH: 29

#1 DS: 11/24/2016

#2 EDD: 11/15/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've been using KT tape for my sciatica and it has been a lifesaver. Also pillows and stretching, but I feel like the tape is what's allowing me to function. 

This is the method I'm using:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iWnA7cdfX4w
  • I'll echo the stretching that everyone has mentioned, child's pose, cat/cow pose and try to stretch your hamstrings.  I had terrible sciatica from the start of my pregnancy until about 28 weeks, including a hospital stay because my muscle tightened up so much that I couldn't move.  Since then, I've been stretching at least twice a day and using a heating pad when needed and I'm amazed how much better I feel.  I'm 35 weeks now, so my back should feel worse than it did at the beginning but it doesn't.  My doctor thinks the only reason is the stretching and keeping active.  It sounds counterintuitive, but the more you rest, the more it's going to hurt because your muscles are going to tighten up.