November 2015 Moms
Options

American Academy for Pediatrics

They just released new guidelines stating you should room share for the first year to decrease the risk of SIDS. Does this make anyone else feel guilty, or am I crazy? LO will be a year old on Sunday and has been sleeping in her own room since she was 7 months old. I'm now feeling so paranoid that something could happen in... idk, the next 6 days, I guess? 

Re: American Academy for Pediatrics

• Options
    I think a year is a little ridiculous. My LO has been in his own room since he was a month old. As long as you don't have a bunch of thick blankets and stuffed animals I think LO will be ok. 
  • Options
    My son has been in his own room since he was 6 months old, which I felt was a good time. Honestly, I think a year is pretty unrealistic for many families, including mine. He would never sleep if we were in the same room...and neither would we. He "talks" and moves around so much in his sleep, not to mention the fact that DH gets up at 4 AM during the week. So, no I don't feel guilty- like PP said, I think if you're smart about their sleep environment, you're fine. 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for talking some sense into me! She sleeps much better in her room, but her being by herself all night has already been a huge source of guilt for me.