November 2016 Moms

HOW TO ASK MY DOCTOR.

I have 4 symptoms related to HELLP, Ive been telling him for 2 weeks now that something just doesn't feel right, but hes so easy going that he just writes it off as something else. But i just feel like somethings off. how do i tell him i want the labs drawn to check.

Re: HOW TO ASK MY DOCTOR.

• You should be seeing your doctor once a week by now if you're past 35 weeks. They take urine samples every time to monitor the protein levels, and they take your blood pressure every time too, and monitor swelling. If you don't have an appointment coming up in the next couple of days I would call and express your concern, but I'm not sure they would do any testing without high protein, high BP or edema symptoms... good luck, I hope the drs can ease your concerns!

Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• The issue with hellp is that its the silent pre eclampsia, its hard to diagnose due to the lack of high blood pressure and protein in urine. he never checks my swelling ever...
  • Loading the player...
  • edited October 2016

Definitely express your concern with him ASAP, but remember that pregnancy has a lot of benign symptoms that are co-morbid with scary conditions.

I found this online: "Among pregnant women in the United States, 5 to 8% develop preeclampsia. It's estimated that 15% of those women will develop evidence of HELLP syndrome." - https://www.preeclampsia.org/health-information/hellp-syndrome

Stats help keep me calm. That's only 15% of 5% of all pregnancies = 0.0075% of all pregnancies

TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• You should be seeing your doctor once a week by now if you're past 35 weeks. They take urine samples every time to monitor the protein levels, and they take your blood pressure every time too, and monitor swelling. If you don't have an appointment coming up in the next couple of days I would call and express your concern, but I'm not sure they would do any testing without high protein, high BP or edema symptoms... good luck, I hope the drs can ease your concerns!

I didn't start doing every week until after 37 weeks. Depends on the practice I guess. 
    OP- you could just ask for the labs but yeah, HELLP is very rare, despite what the internet makes it seem like. Good luck!
  • I'm 38 weeks and don't do weekly appointments either. Haven't peed in a cup at the OB since my test. 
  • I feel like there's really no need to be going weekly until after 40 weeks anyway, right? I mean I'm not a doctor, but in a normal, healthy pregnancy, what's the point? (change of topic I know flag me)
  • whaat said:
    I feel like there's really no need to be going weekly until after 40 weeks anyway, right? I mean I'm not a doctor, but in a normal, healthy pregnancy, what's the point? (change of topic I know flag me)
    I think probably they do weekly checks to make sure baby stays head down,  and because the onset of pre-eclampsia near the end can be pretty sudden.   
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Oops sorry I assumed it was the same down in the US, every week once you hit 35. But yes preeclampsia does appear suddenly. Not to cause alarm but I would buy a home blood pressure monitor thingy if I wasn't going once a week already.
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN

• If you have GD they make you go 2x a week after 35
  • ^^^ yup. I have NINE appointments in the next 2 weeks. Nine! Who has time for that shit? Non stress tests, ultrasounds, GD clinic, and regular OB. Maybe the stress of it all will get this kid to come out.
  • whaat said:
    I feel like there's really no need to be going weekly until after 40 weeks anyway, right? I mean I'm not a doctor, but in a normal, healthy pregnancy, what's the point? (change of topic I know flag me)
    I feel like I shouldn't have to go in every week. I think it should be a patient by patient choice by the dr. I've had a pretty healthy pregnancy, if I have a problem I make sure to let them know. I'm having a c-section, so I think it's a little overkill to go in weekly to get fundal height measured, don't need a GBS swab, don't need to get dilation checks either. But, at my dr they start seeing weekly at 36 weeks, so I'll go along with it I guess...