November 2016 Moms

Weekly Appointments Thread: 10.24 - 10.30

I think we're almost all at about the weekly now. Anybody tired of being there yet?

Married: 08.05.11
Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16

Re: Weekly Appointments Thread: 10.24 - 10.30

• Have my 36 week appointment on Wednesday. They are doing the GBS test and I thought she said an internal check but I might be wrong. They don't do a growth u/s unless they feel there is a need. I see a rotation of doctors and I think this will be my first appointment with my real Dr since 20 weeks!
  • I have my 35 week appt Friday, I think my GBS isn't until the following week, so nothing exciting happening here. Last appointment was kinda interesting as I had a BH contraction when she went to palpate my bump, so she had to wait it out :D I'm glad it happened, proves me to be telling the truth when I tell her they are almost constant. Otherwise they are boring, which is great news I guess :)
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• Loading the player...
  • Have my 38 week appointment tomorrow and I'll have a dilation check for the first time this pregnancy. Can't wait!
  • 38 week check up Wednesday, last week they said I was 1 cm, so super curious if there is any more change. 2 more weeks, eek, can't believe it is here already. Ready to meet this little alien!!!
  • Last appointment with the OB tomorrow to go over the c section. I'm still hanging onto a tiny little sliver of hope that baby will flip head down for me. I'm hoping that if baby does flip we can just go ahead and do an induction instead. I'll be talking all of this over with the OB tomorrow. If baby still isn't flipped then we will be doing a c section on Thursday. I'm scheduled at 10:30am.
  • I had my 36 week appointment today. Kinda boring...GBS test, measuring baby, the normal stuff. No dilation check yet. 
  • @tigerfish227 I had my OB appointment Saturday and tomorrow is my pre-op as I'll be going in on Wednesday for my section for the same reason! Hope baby does a flip for you before Thursday! You never know (mine switched sides just not into the head down position). Thinking of you! 
  • Had our 37 week appointment earlier today. Doppler for heart rate as usual and fundal height check. Baby has moved super low so doc said he'd be surprised to see me at our next appointment on Halloween. He also had a hard time finding her heartbeat because she's so low already. So I may have a baby in the next week! Eek! 
  • Had my 38 week appt today. I'll be 39 weeks on Thursday. I'm excited I am 2 cm dilated, 1 more from last week. Cervix is still long but a lot softer than last week. Getting excited!  
  • 37 week appt tomorrow with OB and had my last U/S today baby is head down, hands and feet by face. Heart beat nice and strong. They finally gave me a 4D image. Doc said he won't check my Cervix till I'm 38 weeks. Cant wait to meet this little one!
  • Good luck @kristah2 and @tigerfish227 !!
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• Good luck @kristah2 and @tigerfish227! Can't wait to hear how things go! 

At my appointment yesterday I was still about 75% effaced and 3cm dilated. The waiting game is tough, and the questioning of each symptom is ridiculous!
  • 37 weeks tomorrow and I had an appointment today. . Went from fully closed last week to 2 cm dilated this week! Scheduled my induction for 39 weeks-ish. Hopefully he comes sooner so I don't have to be induced again ! 
  • Had my last appointment this morning before my RCS next Tuesday. Baby girl is still looking to be enormous and my swelling has gotten really bad, but my bp is still good, so the doctor told me just to be on the lookout for headache, flashing lights in my eyes, etc. Kind of hoping she decides to make her entrance early, but then again I would like to enjoy all the Halloween festivities with DS ... either way, no more than a week!
  • Had my Group B  Strep test (or whatever it is called) today and I didn't think it was bad at all. She didn't do a cervix check and said those will start next week at my 37 week appointment. Also got clarification on the latest they would let me go - she is on call the weekend I would hit 41 weeks so that's nice
  • I had an appointment yesterday and they're boring and repetitive at this point. I go back in 2 weeks for sonogram and check up. Pee, check BP and make sure I have no questions. 

Im having a c-section so I do not need a group b strep test and I don't need to get dilation checked. So for me, it's boring and a waste of time off work to go to weekly appts once we start those in 2 weeks. I wish I could opt out of them and just call if I feel the need to. 
  • Had my 37 week appt today. My OB agrees with me and thinks LO is breech, but the ultrasound tech couldn't fit me in to confirm. I go back on Friday to confirm. Performing a version to try to flip him isn't an option because of my septate uterus so we'll be scheduling a csection. Which is kind ofnq relief, given his size and the risk of shoulder dystocia  (DD had it and was only 7lb5oz). I'd rather go home broken than bring a broken baby home. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • I had my 38 week check up today , doc says I am still at 1 cm maybe a half inch more and my cervix has begun to soften. Just waiting on baby to decide he or she wants to come out! They asked if I would like to schedule being induced or wanted to wait to naturally go into labor. I will wait until the 41 week limit before being induced, if baby doesn't decide to come before then. I am ready to be done though, seeing my weight gain every week is depressing. I know a lot of it will go away, but I struggled with weight and had just started losing it when I got pregnant and am now back to my heaviest. Good luck to all you mommas out there , I know that we will all have our new little one soon!!!
  • @bad10wolf I can empathize on the weight thing. Try to keep it in perspective: you're growing a baby and that's awesome. You can take care of the weight later. 
  • Just left my 37 week appointment. I still don't have gestational diabetes (duh) so that's good but he did say my platelets are low so an epidural may not be an option come delivery day. That's actually fine with me as I was going to try to do this med-free anyway; i think knowing the epidural is off the table will make it easier if that makes any sense. 

He did mention the dreaded "C" word today since baby is measuring so big. He thinks a cesarean is something I should consider but we'll discuss it further next week after my next ultrasound to measure LO's size. I'm not going to lie, kind of panicky at the thought of having a c-section. We want 3 or 4 kids so starting with a c-section could really limit those dreams in the future. I'm trying not to borrow trouble until it's here but the worry is definitely in the back of my mind.
  • @MrsMaryK2016 Take it as it comes and listen to your body. All will work itself out as it needs to be come time for your little man to be hear. Glad there's no GD (again)!

My appointment resulted me being 1-2cm dilated but with a long cervix, which basically means nothing. Hoping to keep the little guy in there until after the Halloween festivities - or I finish all these college recs. 
  • Had my hospital registration appointment today (do pre-paperwork, hospital tour, discuss birth plan options if you have anything you want/don't want) and while I knew they had a small nursery that was more for taking care of things vs giving the parent some rest it sounds like unless the kid needs treatment the nursery is mostly off limits. She did say that if the floor is quiet the nurses might be able to take a baby for a few hours so you can sleep but it isn't guaranteed. I'm probably the unpopular one with that opinion but I really want the option of the nursery so it is a bummer. 
  • @SandNStarsNJ Yeah, I feel fine and I've had a really healthy pregnancy. I just don't want to jump to the c-section option because he may be 9lbs at birth. People have 9lb babies all the time! This just underlines why I will be going to a different practice after this LO is born; my doctor is a great high-risk OB and that just isn't what I really need. I need to talk it over with my husband but I am probably going to tell my doctor no to the c-section and let's try this vaginally first. If we end up needing an emergency c-section then fine but I just see no reason why we need to schedule it now before there's even a real issue. 

You're already getting cervical checks?! I kind of wish I had one so I could know where we are even if it doesn't really mean anything, it's still exciting that stuff is starting to happen! Good luck with the recs...
  • kvruns said:
    Had my hospital registration appointment today (do pre-paperwork, hospital tour, discuss birth plan options if you have anything you want/don't want) and while I knew they had a small nursery that was more for taking care of things vs giving the parent some rest it sounds like unless the kid needs treatment the nursery is mostly off limits. She did say that if the floor is quiet the nurses might be able to take a baby for a few hours so you can sleep but it isn't guaranteed. I'm probably the unpopular one with that opinion but I really want the option of the nursery so it is a bummer. 
    I'm with you on the nursery thing. With my first two kids, sending them to the nursery was protocol. Now they give you the impression that it's frowned upon. But, I will insist that they take her for a few hours every now and then. 
  • @SandNStarsNJ Yeah, I feel fine and I've had a really healthy pregnancy. I just don't want to jump to the c-section option because he may be 9lbs at birth. People have 9lb babies all the time! This just underlines why I will be going to a different practice after this LO is born; my doctor is a great high-risk OB and that just isn't what I really need. I need to talk it over with my husband but I am probably going to tell my doctor no to the c-section and let's try this vaginally first. If we end up needing an emergency c-section then fine but I just see no reason why we need to schedule it now before there's even a real issue. 

You're already getting cervical checks?! I kind of wish I had one so I could know where we are even if it doesn't really mean anything, it's still exciting that stuff is starting to happen! Good luck with the recs...
    the bolded is what I think when people say their baby is measuring XYZ or the Dr thinks it will be ABC size. None of that has come up in any of mine. They do the belly measurement an each time say I'm measuring normal right on schedule but that's it. No idea how big/little the baby could be 
  • kvruns said:
    @SandNStarsNJ Yeah, I feel fine and I've had a really healthy pregnancy. I just don't want to jump to the c-section option because he may be 9lbs at birth. People have 9lb babies all the time! This just underlines why I will be going to a different practice after this LO is born; my doctor is a great high-risk OB and that just isn't what I really need. I need to talk it over with my husband but I am probably going to tell my doctor no to the c-section and let's try this vaginally first. If we end up needing an emergency c-section then fine but I just see no reason why we need to schedule it now before there's even a real issue. 

the bolded is what I think when people say their baby is measuring XYZ or the Dr thinks it will be ABC size. None of that has come up in any of mine. They do the belly measurement an each time say I'm measuring normal right on schedule but that's it. No idea how big/little the baby could be 
    Some of us have had growth ultrasounds. Of course, it's just an estimate based on measurements (head, abdomin, femur), and can be off by a pound in either direction... My ultrasound tech is actually pretty awesome, she estimated DD's birth weight within 2 ounces 4 days before she was born. This baby also feels bigger than DD did, so while I know there's a margin of error, I believe he's larger than average! 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • kvruns said:
    Had my hospital registration appointment today (do pre-paperwork, hospital tour, discuss birth plan options if you have anything you want/don't want) and while I knew they had a small nursery that was more for taking care of things vs giving the parent some rest it sounds like unless the kid needs treatment the nursery is mostly off limits. She did say that if the floor is quiet the nurses might be able to take a baby for a few hours so you can sleep but it isn't guaranteed. I'm probably the unpopular one with that opinion but I really want the option of the nursery so it is a bummer. 
    Our hospital is similar. With my first I was initially against sending my kid to the nursery anyway. But, the second night they offered to take him for a few hours so I could sleep and I definitely took them up on it. Haha. So, you may not be as unpopular as you think.
  • I started lurking and reading these posts a few weeks ago. I am due 11/2. Had my 39 week appointment yesterday and am 4cm dilated, fully effaced and doctor said her head is so low that she felt it! Last week they told me they didn't think I would make it to my 39 week appointment. I wish they never told you that, gets your hopes up. I am SO ready to see this baby! But here I am.. playing the waiting game and trying not the be so impatient since her due date isn't until next week!
  • @MrsMaryK2016 While my first was only 7 lbs 10 oz, according to the growth ultrasound I had last week, our little guy is anticipated to be 9 lbs + and no one has suggested a c-section. Perhaps the fact that your OB is for high risk he responds to things differently? And the practice I go to does cervical checks starting at 36 weeks; I kinda assumed all of them did.
  • Had my 38 week appointment today.   Standard and boring so that was good.   My doctor doesn't do cervical checks which is nice in some ways.   

Starting next week I drive an hour to appointments to a doctor that delivers at the hospital I will be delivering at.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • @MrsMaryK2016 I'm surprised by your doctor's reaction and could be the fact that he specializes in high risk.
    Possible to get a second opinion?
    Unless there's other risks other than size I don't see why you couldn't try first.
    My first was almost 10 pounds and I delivered him without pain meds. My doctor suspected he would be 9lb as well.

• My weekly appointment was rather uneventful. Am GBS negative so that's one less thing to think about. 
    Am almost 38 weeks and no cervical check yet. No mention if one next week, but who knows.
  • Today the doctor said my cervix was soft and slightly dilated but that he's still really high up there. Besides a birthing ball, anyone have tips for helping to get this baby to drop? Im 38 and 4 with a big old boy so I don't want to go over if I can help it! 
  • @bburba my doctor told me to walk to get baby to move down. Gravity is supposed to help so walking a bunch is the best natural way to get baby into posostion. :)
  • Went to my 35 week appt, was a lot more eventful than I thought it was going to be. My OB had suspicions baby was breech, did a quick ultrasound and unfortunately she is indeed frank breech. She's given me 3 options; deliver breech baby vaginally (but conditions must be perfect and no pitocin allowed, and baby might need to be resuscitated) OR have a version next week (36 weeks) which works 50% of the time but could cause my water to break or contractions to start or distress the baby, OR schedule a c-section for 39 weeks. 

I definitely selected option 3 as I am really not hung up on vaginal delivery and I don't want a 36 week preemie if I can help it. There is still time for her to flip (although she's been in the same position for at least 3-4 weeks now) and if she does then great we can cancel, and if not, I can expect a baby in 3 weeks and 4 days!! So excited. It feels so much more real now.
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN

• @PrettyPalomino I would try the techniques on spinning babies. Mine was breech at 32, I did the techniques, saw the chiropractor, and loosened up some of my muscles with massage. It seemed to have helped. She flipped at 33 and has stayed since.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• My boy was head down at 34 weeks, then flipped breech and two days ago at 37&5 he flipped head down again. There's still time ladies. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18