July 2016 Moms
Options

Sleep Regressions/Sleep Help

Re: Sleep Regressions/Sleep Help

• Options
    @HoneyBear40 - EXACTLY!  THis week has been insane.  Monday was pretty normal, did a 7pm bath, Tuesday I had to pick my dog up from the vet, rush home, grab S and take her to her 6 month check up, by the time we got home and shoved some leftovers down our mouths she didn't get laid down until 845ish, Wednesday I got home from work on time but had to go to the store...I SKIPPED dinner because i was too tired and it got too late after feeding her and bath time- she got put down at  945, last night my dog had his agility class (first night back since June/pre-baby- yay!!) and again, by the time I got home, ate, fed her, bathed her...she didn't go down until 10pm (although she slept GREAT last night- only 1 wake up!!)
  • Options
    Spoke too soon about the crib transition being great. Bedtime took over three hours last night and he was still up every couple hours after he finally went down. I'm tired.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I put my baby in his crib in his room for the first time ever tonight.  Waaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!   That's me not him.  I'm feeling super emotional about him being in a separate room.  
  • Options
    @austinjl...good job, momma! You and he will sleep so much better! Good luck sticking with it! Raising kids is not for the faint of heart! 
  • Options
    Thanks @FTM53.  He hasn't woken up once yet so clearly he doesn't need me anymore.  Pretty soon he'll be off to college.  Lol.  Feeling dramatic. Hopefully this gets easier after night one.
  • Options
    @austinjl Haha! Yeah, I've had those dramatic moments, too. They get big too fast. The sleeping does get easier and then harder, and then easier...yay. 
  • Options
    Bedtime is getting ridiculous. As in, it doesn't exist. He will not sleep. I've been at this for HOURS. Ahhhhhhhh.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    @winnie1122 oh dear, I'm so sorry! Those nights are the worst. I hope that your LO finally decided to nod off so that you were able to rest too.
  • Options
    @winnie1122 what's he doing, if you don't mind me asking? 
  • Options
    @FTM53 He just stays awake and fights hard to do so. I can tell he's basically asleep behind his eyeballs, if that makes sense, but if I start rocking him or doing anything that hints at trying to get him to sleep he starts struggling and whining and resisting. So I just kind of have to let him play or sit next to me on the couch or feed him and hope he nods off, then I try the crib transfer. But lately he wakes up instantly when I put him down in the crib and won't go back to sleep unless I pick him up. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    Scarlet will not stay asleep when I lay her down...ugh.  I got her in her crib at 845 last night...she was up 2 times by 945, was up at 1040, then again at 1055...ugh.  I let her cry until 1115 and it broke my heart.  I went in and picked her up and she was so sad and whimpering like she was scared because i took so long to get to her...but then she slept until 530....

She struggles so much to stay asleep in the beginning...ugh. 
  • Options
    @winnie1122 that sucks! 

We had a "fun" night last night. DS decided that 330am was wake up and play time. He would not go back to sleep. He wasn't hungry, I changed him, he just wanted to giggle, screech, and coo. Until my alarm went off at 5:30am....I ended up just putting him in his crib and let him cry until he fell asleep again (took 30minutes).  :|
  • Options
    @kmurdock925
    Do you give her anything when you put her down? A blanket/stuffed animal...i usually do that with LO if he cries and he grabs it as a soother and will fall asleep with it.
    jodi
    whitehall, pa
    every adventure requires a first step- C.C.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kmurdock925kmurdock925 member
    edited January 2017
    @jodi1980 - I do.  She has a lovie that she is obsessed with (I bought 7 of them God forbid something happens to one down the road and I can't find a replacement...).  It will calm her down if I'm rocking her but if she gets ticked at night it doesn't help if she is alone in her bed.  9 times out of 10 I can go in and pop her paci in and get her lovie to her if it is on the other side of the crib and she is good and can go back to sleep super quickly if not instantly...it's the frequency of the waking that is killing me.  I'm rarely up longer than 5 minutes at a time...sometimes less.  I'm not sure if it is separation anxiety or if she is struggling going back and forth from REM sleep or what...

And it is so inconsistent might I add...some nights she does great- only one wake up around 3 or 4....other nights she just can't stay down until she has woken up several times.
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 Lucian did that for a while too and still does time to time. I know he had to get a knack for learning to fall asleep on his own. That paired with teething but no teeth at the moment but it's evident (drooling, teething, etc). Eventually I stuck with the very difficult task of having him "cry it out" I had to shut off the baby monitor too because every whimper or whine I heard, I was up and it was effecting my sleep. Eventually after about 3 weeks, he started to "get it" and if he did cry it was only for 5 to 10 minutes before he would go back to sleep. Every baby is different according to what I had read.
    The only advice I have is as long as you have a nightly routine down pat and they go to bed roughly the same time every night and again (not for everyone but: little tough love with cry it out it totally sucks but works) LO should eventually get it and you won't have to get up and keep putting the paci back in her mouth! Hope you both can get a good night sleep. xo 
    jodi
    whitehall, pa
    every adventure requires a first step- C.C.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @Jodi1980 !  One thing I can say for certain is that our bedtime routine is solid and very predictable.  I think I just need to get over it and let her cry a little :(  and for that matter be consistent with it...
  • Options
    Ok peeps...how do you start dropping nighttime feedings? I think LO is waking out of habit but I don't wanna leave her if she's hungry. We are now doing pretty well about going to sleep and ok on naps, but still up every 3-4 hours.
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 I'm with you on frequency being the worst part. Because then I wake. Go in. Fix the problem. And come back to bed. Maybe it only takes 5 minutes but it takes me a solid chunk of time to get back to sleep! All to do it again in a couple hours, lol!! Ugh

Our neighbors just hired a sleep consultant to help with training. I'm kind of piggy backing on some of their advice. Basically she was told at their weight these days, they can make it through the night. Their recommendation was to do the every 10 min soothing, but don't feed. And preferably husband, as he's less associated with feeding (maybe?). They said if you want to hang on to a MOTN feed, it should be between the hours of 12-5am. I'm attempting some...not all of this as a trial to see how it goes in our house. So far it did improve things last night! @mnkenned
  • Options
    There's a website called Precious Little Sleep that I have been looking at.  They recommend timing breastfeeding sessions and then offering breast for less and less amounts of time gradually.  Ideally when you only feed for 2-3 mins, baby might get the hint and stop waking up all together. I assume bottles could be done this way too.  I have not tried this yet but it will be my plan.  Many mommies on my local fb group have had success this way. I'm still feeding once per night for now.  @mnkenned
  • Options
    I still do a MOTN feed. Generally, he wakes around 3-4am. Sometimes I'll do a second feed around midnight, if he wakes up then too (rarely)
  • Options
    Question for you girls on the timed soothing...every 10 mins etc...I may totally be over analyzing everything but i feel like my life revolves around trying to figure out how to get sleep these days...when you go in to soothe them at the 10 minute mark (or whatever it may be for your family) do you just rub their back or pick them up?  At what point do you leave the room...when they are back asleep or when they have just calmed down?
  • Options
    I go in every 5 minutes and just pat her tummy until she settles down a bit. I usually don't stay longer than a minute and don't pick her up. @kmurdock925
  • Options
    LO used to be such an amazing sleeper until she started teething and now will not go down again until she is fed. Did anyone have this issue? Any solutions?
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 I go in at 5 min then 10,15, 20 etc. and I pick him up and calm him down. I usually wait until his eyes start to close then put him back down to sleep. It used to take a while but these days we don't even make it to the 10 min before he is asleep. We tried to not pick him up when we first started sleep training but that just pissed him off! He would get so mad and end up crying for hours. That went on for a week before I decided that wasn't working for us. This works for us, but you will find something that works for you and your LO :smile:
  • Options
    @kmurdock925 I rarely need to go in anymore, but teething is throwing a wrench in that  :D but when I do, I pick him up and calm him down. Once he STARTS to fall asleep again, I'll put him down. 
  • Options
    @shaylalr poor baby!  seeing them bleed would've broken my heart...fortunately Scarlet's didn't bleed. 

Thanks girls! The struggle is real with this sleep thing.  I think I need to keep a journal on my nightstand to track what time she goes down/how often she wakes etc to see if I can see any patterns.  It seems like the trend is to pick up and calm down.
  • Options
    We journal, @kmurdock925!! I find it has made some days/nights more predictable. 

Our soothing method entails picking her up abs rocking her until she has calmed and then returning her to her crib. 
  • Options
    I think the journaling will start today!!  Glad to hear you've found some benefit to it.  I hate the unpredictability so fingers crossed!
  • Options
    All of you amaze me!

Am I naive to think M will just fall into her own sleep schedule? We tried letting her cry for about 10 minutes the other night. At which time we were both ready to get her and we did. We've gotten good about putting her in her crib when she falls asleep. But the MOTN feed, she nurses and just stays with us. That might be laziness on my part. But side lying is so much easier and warmer than sitting in the glider. 
  • Options
    Side lying nursing is my favorite.
  • Options
    @LDSJM123 that is why I have a dedicated glider blanket. I throw on my long sleeved robe and have the blanket over my legs. It's so comfy I have to set a 20 min (vibrate only) alarm or I'll end up sleeping in glider for hours. 

@schaze...im with you. He's only STTN twice. But he usually will only wake once or twice a night, so its manageable 
  • Options
    Having a glass (or 2) of wine before bed has helped me to tolerate cio a lot better the past 2 nights...for the first time ever I just outlasted her and didn't have to go in her room!!!  18 minutes...20 mins was when I was going to go in!!! Hopefully this is progress
  • Options
    @jjtruffles J has the same bedtime don't feel bad! I don't get off until 8 so it's what we have to do. Some nights he goes down before I get home, but typically it's at least 10 before he's sound asleep. 
  • Options
    This sleep regression is absolutely killer. I feel like it just gets worse every night! It's one in the morning and I just finally got him down after he woke up from my second attempt to get him down for the night. He fell asleep initially around 9:30, woke up again around 10:15 and I managed to get him back to sleep relatively quickly (took probably about 15 minutes or so). I thought he was out good that time, he even slept through a very clumsy transfer back into his crib. But nope, he woke up again around 11 and just started playing around, so I just watched him on the monitor to see if he'd fall back asleep but he just got more and more active and finally started getting frustrated so I had to go in there after about ten minutes. Then he was wide awake and happy as a clam and wanted to play and grab everything and got mad at me if I tried rocking him or giving his paci (he knew what I was trying to do, lol). He seriously just rolled around in his crib or squirmed on my lap for over an hour. He did have a little gas but otherwise I have no idea what the deal is. He just wanted to be awake! Why is he not tired???!! I'm so tired. And I need to get work done so I'm probably just gonna be up all night....bleh.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    Guys. He just woke up AGAIN. Noooooooo.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
  • Options
    Guys. He just woke up AGAIN. Noooooooo.

Ugh stupid box.
    Anyway... this was me last night too. We were up every 2 hours, at least. Between cutting teeth and going thru a big developmental stage, sleep doesn't exist. He's never slept thru the night so to those mommas who's kiddos have...I'm so jealous. We've tried moving him into his own bed, well the PNP, but after a week of even less rest he's back in bed with us. I figure by the time he moves out of the house he will be sleeping thru the night in his own bed lol.
    Unfortunately I've gotten pretty good at functioning off if minimal amounts of sleep. I rely on coffee and sheer will power.