July 2016 Moms
Options

Sleep Regressions/Sleep Help

Re: Sleep Regressions/Sleep Help

• Options
    @john5111 look into WonderWeeks. I know Leap 3 hits at 11.5-12.5 weeks and my LO always has a bit of trouble sleeping during a leap
  • Options
    Since about the 13 week point, I've never gotten longer than 4.5-5 hour stretches. And those stretches are RARE!! Common is 3-3.5. I just don't know what to do! She's great about sleeping 7-7 or 8-8...9-9 however the 12 hours fall. Waking, eating and immediately going back to sleep isn't the problem. Staying asleep for the long haul is!! We've explored a couple different methods. Most helpful is pumping like crazy and giving her a bottle for either her last night feed or first middle of the night feed. But even that only gets me the 4-4.5 hours. I'm at a loss as to how this sleeping through the night is ever going to happen.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @john5111 Yes!I think her entire week 12 she woke up every 2 hours. I ended up googling it and many people had the same issue. I think it's a growth spurt and leap all on one week. It gets better! She's back to 6-7 hour stretch at the start and then 3-4 second stretch. 
  • Options
    Ok thanks I can only hope thankfully I'm not back to work yet! 
  • Options
    This past week Jaxon has been waking up every 4 hours and it's killing me! I've been so exhausted at work. I can't count the number of times I've yawned. He will be 15 weeks on Monday. Hopefully he's going through his 4 month regression a little early. That fussy thang. 
  • Options
    Yes @setosh I think we are going through it early too.

We still manage to have K sleep through the night but days are crazy, he won't nap unless in someone's arms. If we put him down he wakes and proceeds to scream. He never did this before so Im not sure what to do. He's exhausting himself but continuously fighting the sleep. I'm super grateful that we still get a full night though. I feel for you mommas dealing with MOTN feeds!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • Options
    It's official. We are now back to 1-3-5 wake-ups. The 4 month sleep regression is no joke! 
  • Options
    Does anyone have any tips for getting LO to nap in their crib? We don't keep her in her own room yet, but I'd like the option to have some me time during the day! I tried all last week and it didn't go well. I gave up every time.
  • Options
    @schaze We followed the Sleep Sense PDF. It helped to have something in writing and structured to follow. Up until that point we were just trying to wing it and it was unsuccessful and I ended up having Rowan nap in my arms a lot. It was a little rough at first but each day we made progress. Rowan now sleeps and naps in his crib. Naps are inconsistent in length but he has no issues falling asleep and being in there. It does say in the article naps may be short in the beginning but will get longer as baby gets used to the nap schedule (and being in the crib). 

Forgive me, I cannot remember who recommended this program and posted the link. But it was someone here. 

https://academiquechic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Sleep-Sense.pdf
  • Options
    Anyone else's LO incapable of "crying it out"? I try not to use, but it also doesn't work for us. He will cry non stop for 45+ minutes 
  • Options
    FTM53 said:
    Anyone else's LO incapable of "crying it out"? I try not to use, but it also doesn't work for us. He will cry non stop for 45+ minutes 
    My son doesn't either. It's rough. I've tried driving him around while he cries. Rides normally do the trick but lately it takes awhile. 

We've also started waking up 3+ times a night to feed.
  • Options
    Yep. We are, too. Back to waking at 1am, 3am, 5am. Last night we were up til 12:30 after a day of sleeping no more than an hour all day. It was brutal. He was only content if I was standing/walking, bouncing him, patting his back firmly, AND talking to him. 
  • Options
    We were up at 1 and 4 last night, I thought we escaped the sleep regression but maybe last night was the beginning. I hope not, I forgot how brutal the waking every few hours thing was. 
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    FTM53 said:
    Yep. We are, too. Back to waking at 1am, 3am, 5am. Last night we were up til 12:30 after a day of sleeping no more than an hour all day. It was brutal. He was only content if I was standing/walking, bouncing him, patting his back firmly, AND talking to him. 
    All of this! I empathize.
  • Options
    Jodi1980Jodi1980 member
    edited November 2016
    @Racso12 I am reading the sleep-sense link you provided. While I don't have a huge problem with LO at the moment (he goes down at around 6:30pm with a common nightly routine) but is up a few times some nights and doesn't nap in his crib during the day at all. I still implement "props" such as a paci or a bottle. I hope to try her methods to get LO on track and not depend on me for a paci. Fingers crossed! Thanks for posting!

edited: added
    jodi
    whitehall, pa
    every adventure requires a first step- C.C.

• Options
    @Racso12 we successfully used sleep-sense to get her to bed, but for whatever reason it's just not working for naps. Maybe I just need to give it more time?
  • Options
    I use babywise, which echoes so much of the sleep sense! Naps are HARD. It takes longer, but I found working on her naps first helped her sleep through the night again during her regression. She still has her good days and bad days though. 
  • Options
    Dude - nap challenged days are just the worst. Has anyone even tried starting bedtime at 5 on bad nap days? I don't know what else to do on days like this. This fuss is endless. Walking didn't work, fighting the swing and definitely doesn't want to do play mat time. I can walk around with her all afternoon but my arm can only handle so many hours of that!!
  • Options
    @TiffRox81 Kid's been awake since 11am...no naps here either!! He wasn't really fussy, just whiny if I wasn't holding him or playing with him, so no work got done today! Gonna be up all night catching up...
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    @TiffRox81 we have early bedtimes some days. Normally she is in bed by 6:30 and that's normal. Today we started bedtime routine at 5:15 and she was bathed, fed and asleep by 6. 
  • Options
    Jodi1980Jodi1980 member
    edited November 2016
    @TiffRox81 we are having the same issue!!!!!! I was literally preparing dinner last night and trying to soothe LO in the swing and walking back and forth between the kitchen and the living room! Finally DH woke up from his nap (he's not feeling well). He couldn't even soothe holding him with bottle, paci, rocking!
    I finally finished dinner but his fussiness and just being so tired prevented us from eating dinner so I had to put him in his crib just to eat for 10 minutes! I think the daylight saving messed up our routine. Day care also said everytime they would place him down, he'd cry or scream and was extra clingy. The stretch between 430pm and 630pm is the worst before a bath/ bedtime and I'm dreading it today already!
    jodi
    whitehall, pa

• Options
    @Jodi1980  I agree the evening is getting worse for us too. He still sleeps no problem but getting him to drift off is a nightmare. He won't self soothe himself to sleep any more at night time. Our routine consists of- 
    7.30ish: Feed-Change-Bed
    7.45-8.30: Crying and Fussing
    8.30-9.30: Trying to soothe in my arms and attempting to put him down several times. He wakes 3/4 times before finally going down.
    Super frustrating.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • Options
    @LF93 A bath (EOD) helps before feeding then bed time but that 2 hours before......MAN, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy  :s
    jodi
    whitehall, pa

• Options
    Ok glad I'm not alone!!! Good call about DLST. Didn't even think about that. Maybe part of the sleep regression also?! I will be very happy to come out of this SOON!! LOL Today she's sleeping like a champ 7:45pm-1:30am...up at 4:30 and still sleeping now and it's 7:30. 

I was also telling my husband it's getting harder and harder to "entertain" her. I think I'm going to get her one of those baby Einstein saucer things. I don't know what else is age appropriate for her right now that will really stimulate her! Any little hand toys buy me maybe 5 minutes. She's just doesn't really get the hang of them quite yet. So it's a lot of playmat, walks, play with me and swing time! 
  • Options
    Last night was good. LO went down around 9 (took 1.5 hours to get him there though) and slept till 1:30, ate, slept til 4, ate, diaper change, slept til 6. I think DLS and him teething are really messing with him. 
  • Options
    Jodi1980Jodi1980 member
    edited November 2016
    @tiffrox81 LoL....we have one of the Baby Einstein saucers as a hand me down. DH set it up the other night for him. LO is not quite big/strong enough to play or reach for the toys yet. I actually had to prop one of his blankets in his chair to make sure he didn't fall forward. Other than that, his swing, toys and the Baby First Station, I think he gets over stimulated. I'm gonna have to change it up when we get home from daycare....perhaps trying to get him to nap first. I think the routine at daycare changes alot too because of the other children they tend to so LO doesn't always get fed/nap at the same time. I'm gonna have to check in with them to see if this may be in part of the problem along with sleep regression! Happy almost 4 months LO, mommy is ready to rip her hair out that the biotin vitamins have been helping to grow :flushed:
    jodi
    whitehall, pa

• Options
    I've noticed that LO needs 15-30 of quiet time after daycare. He sleeps well there and is fed when he's hungry (he HATES bottles, so they ended up throwing most my hard-earned milk away using a schedule), but he is definitely over stimulated. He usually will either suck his hands or stare into space for a bit afterwards. Sometimes he'll fall asleep in his car seat on the ride home. 
  • Options
    Napping SUCKS. We are at only three 20 minute naps a day for the last week or so and by bedtime she's just exhausted. Last night was awful, too. We were up 6 times between 11 and 6am. We think she may have been in pain from teething, but in our sleepy haze we didn't think to give her Tylenol.

@TiffRox81 we are finding it harder to keep her entertained, too! Unfortunately we don't have room for an exersaucer, so it's bouncer and play mat all day. Looking in the mirror is a new favorite, too. My child is vain :P
  • Options
    For those of you with sleep sense nighttime routines that do NOT include baths, what do you do? 
  • Options
    @schaze Yes, mirrors have become an awesome addition to our day!! I can't wait until she can sit on her own and I can prop her up there with a couple toys!
  • Options
    @LDSJM123 we loosely followed sleep sense in the beginning, but not so much anymore. We only give her abath 3x/week before bed. Other nights, we do pjs, nurse in bed while DH reads a book, then she goes in her P&P while still awake. It takes about 20-30 minutes total.
  • Options
    I'm curious, how are Sleep Sense night time routines different from regular night time routines? 

At night I change diaper, massage while singing songs, put pajamas on, if DD2 isn't tired yet I read a few books, nurse, burp and lay her down. She often falls asleep while nursing. However, I don't nurse her to sleep for any naps, so I'm not too worried about it being a crutch. 
  • Options
    Okay, ladies, need some help. How are you putting your LOs down still awake? I have successfully done it maybe 3-4 times, but normally, if he is not 100% out, then he'll open his eyes and start screaming. And he DOES NOT cry himself to sleep. He will cry for hours vs falling asleep. 
  • Options
    @winnie1122 you do what's best for you! if no routine is working, I say stick with it. We only used one because nothing else was working. Every baby is different!

@FTM53 for us, it helps that we have a white noise machine going. Ours also has a projection, kind of like a light mobile, that she watches and it lulls her to sleep. probably not good that we have that crutch, but it worked for us!
  • Options
    @FTM53 my LO will only go down awake for naps. He will cry for hours if we put him down awake at night.

For our bedtime routine, we get Q bathed if necessary (we only do 2-3 times a week due to dry climate in CO) then do pajamas and nurse. After he is done nursing we swaddle and read him a book while he sucks on a pacifier. He falls asleep within 10-15 min and I know he's out because he spits out his pacifier. We also have a white noise machine going. 

For naps i swaddle, give him a pacifier and lay him down in his crib with the white noise on. He goes down awake and is asleep with zero crying within a few minutes. I WISH we could do that at night. 
  • Options
    @winnie1122 I second your praise for this group. You've all helped me so much as well! I love coming here for tips and tricks because we're almost all hitting the challenges at the same time! And of course seeing the pics of the babes!