September 2015 Moms

Toddler bed?

As many of you know, lol, my LO flips out anytime he is confined to a pack n play or crib. He's fine if he's able to get around. I have slowly made the entire house(90%) a total baby safe area. He still hates his crib with a fiery passion. He's 13 months. I want to turn his crib into the toddler bed style because he's fine laying down in other things as long as he isn't behind bars. Haha. Has anyone tried this yet or with past LO's? His room is 100% baby safe. And if I did this, I would put a baby gate at his door. I also have a video monitor, so I can have eyes on him(gosh I love that thing). 

Re: Toddler bed?

• I'm hoping he will stay in his crib for awhile, but my first we move at 15 months because she figured out how to climb in and out of her crib. She actually slept better when we transitioned into a queen bed. We did keep a gate at the door.
  • With #1 I did a floor bed at 8 months for the same reason. Child proofed room, gate at the door, couple safe toys on a low shelf. She got a toddler bed when she could climb in, around 14mo. Then went to a regular twin bed at 20mo when we moved. 

This is baby loves her crib, goes down easily, wakes chatting to herself. I have been putting off a switch because she's so happy. I plan to move her to a toddler bed before Christmas... I might chicken out-we'll see :smile:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was just having this conversation with DH five minutes ago! We decided that we will convert to the toddler bed as soon as we have time. LO hates being behind bars and always has too.  Pack n play is like a punishment for him. He cries so hard that he breaks a sweat.  Anyway, I have been getting him to nap in his crib and start the night there but when he wakes up after a sleep cycle, he stands up and cries. Maybe if he can get in and out, he won't be so upset about it. Almost thinking we should go right to child bed so we can lay down and read books but we will try the toddler first because he already have that conversion piece.
  • Our LO loves his crib and has made no attempts to climb out, so we plan on keeping him in there as long as possible since he's sleeping so well! If he weren't, it would be a different story!

We plan on switching to the toddler bed once he starts attempting to climb out, and then we'll have to do the same as you and fully baby-proof the room. The only thing that's tough is what do you do with the few things you do need to plug in (baby monitor, white noise machine, nightlight)? All our outlets are near the floor within reach, so how did you tackle this issue?

Also, question about the baby gate at the door of baby's room: Is there a reason to put a gate there vs putting a safety knob on the door knob on the inside? FTM, so not sure what's recommended!

Thanks! Good luck! :)
  • I coved all outlits except the one that's behind his crib. He can't get to it and the baby video monitor is plugged in there. Then I secured the wire to the wall. Also, I will put a gate because wooden non see through doors means he might get trapped in if he's behind the door. I can't open it if he's there. So, the gate keeps the big door open so I can have access safely to him and his room. 
  • This is really going to depend on what sort of routine you have going on at home and what kind of baby you have.  Toddlers have very little self control so the transition to a toddler bed even for a 2.5 or 3 year old can cause napping and bed times to go haywire for a little bit. If you co-sleep or bedshare and/or fall asleep with LO for naps and at night I think this makes more sense than if you have a little one who currently naps and sleeps by himself. My sister moved her twins at 15 months and it was a total disaster for her which made me want to keep mine in their cribs as long as possible. 

I would remove anything stimulating from the room first and essentially turn it into a big crib.  My sister literally ended up with two mattress on the floor and locked their dressers in the closet where they couldn't get to them.  Otherwise they would wake early in the morning or middle of the night and "play" apparently baby code for destroy everything in sight.  They broke drawers and pulled out all their clothes and toys on a regular basis. My mom seriously booked a flight and flew from Michigan to Florida to help her get things figured out because one of them decided he just wasn't going to go to bed.  He had started crashing at 11 pm on the couch every night with her because he would just scream and bang on the door unless she let him out. 

On the other hand the other one did amazing and would literally just lay down and go to sleep every night.  He even slept through his brother's noise. 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    I coved all outlits except the one that's behind his crib. He can't get to it and the baby video monitor is plugged in there. Then I secured the wire to the wall. Also, I will put a gate because wooden non see through doors means he might get trapped in if he's behind the door. I can't open it if he's there. So, the gate keeps the big door open so I can have access safely to him and his room. 
    By "coved the outlets," do you mean used one of these outlet covers that goes over the electrical cord? 

If so,I'll have to do some searching since my plug-in for my monitor is one of those wider ones so I'd need an extra wide cover so it would still fit.

Did you use one of those plastic cord channels that you attach to the wall that covers the cords up?

Good point about the door!
  • Nope. I cover them with the clips you put in the outlit. Our new house has electrical outlits every 3 feet. Super awesome unless you have a baby. LOL The only thing that's plugged in his room is the monitor but he doesn't have access to it(thank goodness). I bought this adorable wire holders from somewhere, maybe container store(?), that looks like ivy. 
  • I moved both my sons to a toddler bed at 2, which they both refused to sleep in, so they quickly transitioned to a twin/full bed. 

I bought a convertible crib/changing table combo that transforms to a toddler bed & a day bed with the changing table portion converting into a bedside table/nightstand. I'm hoping she will transition easily to a toddler bed since she's so much smaller than my boys were (she just hit 20 lbs at 13 months). Fingers crossed!  
  • We moved DD to her mattress on the floor at 11 months.  We put a gymnastics mat next to it for when she rolls off.  DH is anti safety bar because DD2 jumped over and climbed on it, causing more harm than good.  She may be on the floor for a bit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh my gosh, this is all happening so fast. HOW CAN WE GET TIME TO PAUSE FOR A MINUTE?!??
  • Wow... I wasn't even beginning to worry about this! LO loves her crib, doesn't try to climb out and sleeps well. I think we're just going to keep her there until we start to have issues!
  • Wow... I wasn't even beginning to worry about this! LO loves her crib, doesn't try to climb out and sleeps well. I think we're just going to keep her there until we start to have issues!
    This is us. I'll keep him there as long as we can.
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • If it's baby safe I don't see a problem why not? The Montessori method they put the mattress right on the floor around 6 months. The only issue you may find is if he doesn't want to sleep or something he may go stand by the gate/door and bang on it til you let him out :-/