Everything Newborn - Page 2 — The Bump
January 2017 Moms

Everything Newborn

2»

Re: Everything Newborn

• Re: baby in nursery.
    Thanks for the varying opinions @ThePax89 and @AshleySparkle720.
    I was in the camp of letting the nurses take the baby (with baby #1 and #2) to the nursery during the night so DH and I could get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep.  This was especially helpful after my first, because she had been born at almost 10:30pm and it was a long labor.  No shame!  I asked the nurses :smile:
    Do what's best for you.

Also, a couple people mentioned warming up breast milk.  This may also be an UO, but I rarely warmed up pumped breastmilk much at all, aside from like 15 seconds running under hot water if that was available.  I mostly breastfed, but I eased my babies into drinking pumped milk at room temp or cold because if I had it to feed them while we were out I didn't want to worry that it wasn't the "right" temp.
    It sounds weird, but you can train your baby (much of the time) to be flexible in so many areas!  They don't need to be the one always in charge after a few weeks old. :wink:

Eta: I also love this thread!  Even as a third time mom I'm learning things and enjoying reading everyone else's experiences.
    I never heated up breast milk more than a to take the chill off if it was frozen. DD never cared!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
    lindsladle15ThePax89
  • ThePax89 said:
    Your hospital will probably take the baby to the nursery for several things...a pediatrician visit, overnight, a bath, etc. You do not have to consent to this. My husband and I were very strict that our daughter not be taken for any reason without one of us present. Usually my husband went with her. (He actually loved this special daddy/baby time...he told me last week). 
    On the flip side, our hospital didn't take the baby out of our room for ANYTHING. All testing was done in the room, the pediatrician always came into the room to see her. Obviously it varies by facility but the more "baby friendly" your hospital is the less likely they are to take the baby out of the room.

Also randomly- if you or SO want to take the baby out of the room most hospitals don't allow you to carry the infant in your arms- you have to push them in the bassinet thingy. I'm sure there's a reason but DH got scolded by the nurses last time and it was like that in the hospital I did clinicals in as a student as well. 
    ThePax89
  • KAShock said:
    ThePax89 said:
    Your hospital will probably take the baby to the nursery for several things...a pediatrician visit, overnight, a bath, etc. You do not have to consent to this. My husband and I were very strict that our daughter not be taken for any reason without one of us present. Usually my husband went with her. (He actually loved this special daddy/baby time...he told me last week). 
    On the flip side, our hospital didn't take the baby out of our room for ANYTHING. All testing was done in the room, the pediatrician always came into the room to see her. Obviously it varies by facility but the more "baby friendly" your hospital is the less likely they are to take the baby out of the room.

Also randomly- if you or SO want to take the baby out of the room most hospitals don't allow you to carry the infant in your arms- you have to push them in the bassinet thingy. I'm sure there's a reason but DH got scolded by the nurses last time and it was like that in the hospital I did clinicals in as a student as well. 

Ladysacerb: ugh, It won't let me put of the grey box.  They won't let you carry baby around for liability reasons. They don't want to be responsible if the baby is dropped :/
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Our last hospital didn't take the baby to the nursery for anything unless we specifically asked them to. Like PPs said, it varies from hospital to hospital. 

I also never warmed pumped milk and gave formula with water straight from the tap. Our baby wasn't picky about temperature but some babies are super picky about it. 
    lindsladle15
  • Our hospital doesn't have a nursery... Baby stays with you for everything unless they need to be in the NICU. So some hospitals may be different or maybe it's just a Canada thing! 

ThePax89
  • Our hospital doesn't have a nursery... Baby stays with you for everything unless they need to be in the NICU. So some hospitals may be different or maybe it's just a Canada thing! 
    Yes. Mine didn't have a nursery. 
    ThePax89
  • @ladysaceb I figured it was either that or it's harder to steal a baby in a bassinet. Baby-napping, or babies getting switched, is a real (unfounded) fear I have. Personally I'm glad they never took DD out of our room!
  • Our hospital doesn't have a nursery either so our son stayed with us the whole time we were there. They did take him to get his blood drawn for jaundice and some other tests, but my husband stayed with him the whole time.

It was interesting too because they allowed him to sign consent forms for treatment only because we were married. If we hadn't been, I don't know what how that would have been different. So, be aware of what your hospital/state allows in terms of signing for treatment/birth certificate/ anything. 
  • Even if your hospital doesn't have a well baby nursery you can likely still request they take him or her for an hour or two to rest a bit.  Sometimes they do have a place they can go like the nurse's station.  I think this just really depends on your situation.  When I had DS1 I was really out of it due to certain medications, it really wasn't safe for me to care for him if I was by myself.  My mother still tells me how "high" I was the day following birth.  He also wanted to be held constantly from birth which isn't abnormal but wasn't very safe in my condition.  

My second slept easily in his bassinet and I was much more aware and able to care for him when DH was gone.  He left to shower and visit with our toddler. I kept him in the room with me the whole time.  

I will make my decision this time after I know how things go at the hospital.  It may be nice to get a few hours before I go home since I will immediately be caring for all three once I leave. 
    lindsladle15
  • I kept my other 2 in the room at all times unless they were doing test.
  • The whole "sleep when the baby sleeps" is only good advice in the first couple of weeks and if you don't have any other children to tend to.
    Don't believe everything you read online. Breastfeeding is not easy and it takes time for both mama and baby to get into the rhythm, if ever. If you formula feed, don't feel bad about it for even a second.
    Make those DHs participate in baby care. If you're nursing, then let him handle diaper changes and baths. With our first daughter, my husband basically only got to snuggle the babe and then handed her off when she needed something. Not happening this time around.

Don't be afraid to kick people out of your house if necessary. And stand your ground about bringing baby to other people's houses. My MIL insisted that we bring our one-week old newborn to her house so she could see her. I was livid because my husband didn't even bother to stop to think about it before he agreed. -_-

I could go on and on and on. Being a parent is something you only understand once you have a child. No amount of preparation will get you ready for what it's really like.
    This. absolutely.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     MaryNog
  • @KAShock so idk if it's all hospitals but our hospital put an electronic tracker on DD and if anyone tried to take her without scanning my hospital band it set off an alarm or tried to take a baby past L&D doors it set off an alarm and locked down the floor. When I asked about it they said it was to prevent baby switching which hadn't even occurred to me until right that second but it did make me feel better to know they were preventing it
    karaelaine1991LastMangoKittievr4
  • @KAShock babies in bassinets for walks seems to be the norm. It's just like how a transport team has to take a patient down to xray. 

Where I used to work, babies had both baby id bands and security bands. Any baby that was still inpatient had their security band activated and if it was tampered with or crossed a certain point going towards the elevators a code green would alarm. The nurses would educate patients on only walking baby in the bassinet. If the nurses and security team saw a baby being carried they automatically thought code green.
  • Skin to skin has an amazing ability to calm a fussy newborn/infant. It's also incredibly cozy. Naps with a baby in a diaper and just a bra on me, with a thin muslin blanket on us were my favorite. 
    aishmcazwildcat62 MaryNog
  • @aishmc @katesmama0706 I've seen the Hugs tag security system in both hospitals I've worked too. 
    aishmc