April 2017 Moms

15 weeks pregnant - bad headache

I have had two days of headache, Is this normal and anything I can do to relieve the pain?

Re: 15 weeks pregnant - bad headache

• elgieelgie member
    edited October 2016
    I started getting headaches this week and last week as well. My doctor said I can take extra strength Tylenol. 

Also, I found that drinking more water helped as well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Tylenol, cold compress on the back of your neck, and try taking the tylenol with a little bit of caffeine.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB recommended Excedrin tension headache which is basically what @pammasu0909 said - Tylenol with a small amount of caffeine (enough where I can still have my 1 cup of coffee and not even come close to the limit on daily intake!).  One of those (I believe the recommended dose is 2/6hrs) knocks it out for me.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I remember my Ovia app saying headaches were common as you transition into the second trimester. I have been getting them the last couple of weeks too. Tons of water, a little caffeine, and two tylenol seems to work most of the time. 
  • I've been having headaches for weeks now. They weren't this bad last pregnancy. If you start experiencing sudden swelling, you may want to let your OB know about it. Otherwise, they're just part of the process. 
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Besides the Tylenol and caffeine my midwife suggested magnesium, b2 and Gatorade.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Headaches are pretty common at this stage in the game, as PPs have mentioned. Make sure you are drinking enough water (your current body weight divided by 2 is the number of ounces you should be taking in daily). I take Tylenol, drink a little caffeine (usually tea), and if it's really persistent I do some peppermint oil on a rag and hold it under my nose while I lay down for a bit. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Besides the Tylenol and caffeine my midwife suggested magnesium, b2 and Gatorade.
    Gatorade strangely enough has been helping my headaches! I had no idea it was a thing. 
    imagelogan and ruthieLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • THANKS everyone! I have a monster headache right now.
    DS born 9/13/2012
    BFP#5: 8/21/2016
  • @elplocho a lot of headaches are caused by dehydration and the electrolytes help. "It's what plants crave."
    Sorry sometimes I spontaneously break into movie quotes and that is one of my favorites.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• KoukoneiKoukonei member
    edited October 2016
    Coconut water and diluted peppermint essential oil at the base of neck are whats working for me currently. I'll also have some hot cocoa (the real stuff, not the sugary hot chocolate mix) or some chai tea for caffeine if needed since coffee still makes me sick :'( Hope it lets up soon for you, not being able to take ibuprofen or naproxen sucks!
  • @elplocho a lot of headaches are caused by dehydration and the electrolytes help. "It's what plants crave."
    Sorry sometimes I spontaneously break into movie quotes and that is one of my favorites.
    +10000 for the reference. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I know a lot of people said it, but water may really not be enough for you to stay hydrated, even if you drink a ton.  It's it's going straight through you, you also need some sort of electrolytes.  A pinch of sea salt in your water bottles help you retain water better.  Or coconut water can help.  I personally would really try to stay away from at least red gatorade.  The Red Dye 5 they use to color it is a very common headache trigger.

Also, putting epsom salts in your bath can help hydrate you.  Just learned that one from my midwife.

I also agree that peppermint oil is a lifesaver!
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • Yes, if your pee is clear you need some electrolytes!! I prefer coconut water over Gatorade just because Gatorade has so much sugar.

Clear Pee = Need electrolytes
    Apple Juice = You gotta hydrate!
    Lemonade = Just right!