February 2017 Moms

Fitness Check-In 10/17/16

1. How did you do with your goals for last week?

2. What are your goals for this week?

3. Rants/raves/questions?

4. GTKY: What has been the best part of pregnancy for you so far?

Re: Fitness Check-In 10/17/16

• 1. Pretty good! Long walks most days, upped my distance overall, and yoga twice. 

2. Keep up with daily walks and some yoga. Get my sweets cravings under control. 

3. My hip flexor pain has gotten really bad when I walk. Yoga definitely helps at least. Anyone else dealing with this?

4. Definitely feeling the baby kick! So much fun. 
  • 1. How did you do with your goals for last week? Alright, I attempted walking again and was able to a couple of days as well as learning that riding my bike does not agitate my back so did that twice. 

2. What are your goals for this week? Walk every weekday and ride bike with husband while he jogs with the stroller this weekend. Also hitting it too hard on the sweets but I cannot stop! 

3. Rants/raves/questions? Sciatica is the WORST. 

4. GTKY: What has been the best part of pregnancy for you so far? Baby kicks! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Who's done prenatal yoga before? The only time I could find it locally was at the same time as my daughters' soccer games. Soccer is over so I was going to check it out this weekend after Zumba (1 hour break between, both downtown). What poses/moves do you do? I've done a fair amount of Vinyasa yoga before, even at the same studio. The yogi there strongly recommended I not attend her standard yoga sessions and just focus on the prenatal sessions. Just curious about the difference. Thanks!

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Who's done prenatal yoga before? The only time I could find it locally was at the same time as my daughters' soccer games. Soccer is over so I was going to check it out this weekend after Zumba (1 hour break between, both downtown). What poses/moves do you do? I've done a fair amount of Vinyasa yoga before, even at the same studio. The yogi there strongly recommended I not attend her standard yoga sessions and just focus on the prenatal sessions. Just curious about the difference. Thanks!
    I've been doing a lot! I love it! The main differences I've found, in no particular order are:

-No poses where you are flat on your back, except in transition.
    -All balancing poses are done right next to the wall so you can catch yourself if you need to.
    -We do girl pushups instead of chaturanga and up dog. I have seen some Youtube videos where they do up dog still, but I'm not comfortable with that.
    -Some twists are safe, but some aren't. The instructor knows the difference and won't steer us wrong.
    -Lots of poses that strengthen the legs and pelvic floor, like warrior two, chair, and goddess. Lots of squatting. Lots of time in half pigeon, which I normally hate but love pregnant.
    -No deep backbends.
    -If we're having a pregnancy related symptom, she'll try to address it
    -She gives modifications, such as using blocks under your hands in low lunge, that help make room for your belly.

At my studio, despite the modifications, she doesn't go easy on us. It's still a very challenging class, just modified to be safe. I do remember someone else posting in this thread a while ago that they had a different experience, though, and found it to be a bit watered down. Yoga always varies so much by instructor. Hope you enjoy it! 
  • Thanks @Xstatic3333 - I actually love me some half pigeon. My hip flexors can get super tight, so that pose always feels good in a weird way. I worry about SPD that the instructor won't let me do anything. My Zumba instructors have been AMAZING at working with me on it so I can continue to stay active without messing with that. I am okay in slow, stable squats, but getting too low or moving in a squat is something that ignites the pain.

<3 DD1- Aug11 <3o:) Angel Baby- June13, said goodbye Oct12 o:)<3 DD2- Aug13 <3<3 DD3- due Feb17 <3

• Thanks @Xstatic3333 - I actually love me some half pigeon. My hip flexors can get super tight, so that pose always feels good in a weird way. I worry about SPD that the instructor won't let me do anything. My Zumba instructors have been AMAZING at working with me on it so I can continue to stay active without messing with that. I am okay in slow, stable squats, but getting too low or moving in a squat is something that ignites the pain.
    For malasana squats, my instructor always gives the modification option of sitting on a block. Lots of the same benefits, but more support and less risk of overstretching. 

The he cool thing about prenatal classes is that there's even less judgement than usual if you don't want to do a given pose. It sounds like you know your limits, so I bet you'll be in good shape. 
  • If any of you guys enjoy Barre, I ordered this from Amazon and really like it! There are three 20-minute workouts, a lower body, upper body/core, and cardio sculpt. The main chick isn't pregnant, but there is a girl on there that's 36 weeks. So it's easy to follow! I like being able to do one then decide if I want to do another when I'm done too. 
  • Oh man. I've done nothing. And I'm feeling awful about it!
  • @leslie1331 that looks like a great video but WTH to the tag line "stay slim" throughout your pregnancy!? That's not the goal! LOL. 
  • @leslie1331 that looks like a great video but WTH to the tag line "stay slim" throughout your pregnancy!? That's not the goal! LOL. 
    Hahah just noticed that! Yeah not my goal either! It's good for toning your butt/thighs and arms. Pretty much the three areas I figured I can work on :) 
  • @leslie1331 stupid question... do I need a ballet barre to do it? We have a really big play room that doubles as our workout space (5 adults can comfortably do PiYo) but I don't have a barre... LOL

• @peachesnbean not at all! They use like a kitchen chair the whole time. I stand behind my couch and use the back of it. Just something waist high. And you more most place your hands on it, it doesnt need to be very weight bearing at all 
  • 1. How did you do with your goals for last week?
    I did not do well. I had a nasty cold so I was only able to get there once. I drank a lot of water though!
    2. What are your goals for this week?
    My H just switched back to nights which means I am unable to go to the gym Wednesday through Saturday. I want to get to the gym every other day though.
    3. Rants/raves/questions?

4. GTKY: What has been the best part of pregnancy for you so far?
    Feeling her move.
    Married 5/29/09
    DS 8/10/2010 8lbs 6oz
    DD 11/28/2012 8lbs 7oz
    It's a Girl! Due 2/5/2017
    Hahah just noticed that! Yeah not my goal either! It's good for toning your butt/thighs and arms. Pretty much the three areas I figured I can work on :) 
    I think I want to try this! I really do want to stay toned through pregnancy and I'm already losing it (especially my butt and thighs lol). I don't want to be back to square one when baby is here! Thanks for the rec :)
  • I am a fail......  I have been working out great... but eating all the things. 

Maybe I should order that video.

******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• FishyMom said:

I am a fail......  I have been working out great... but eating all the things. 

Maybe I should order that video.

That's my problem, too. I love working out and could do it everyday. Usually for my birthday I go to the gym for like 3 hours and my H watches the kids.  But food, especially sweets, is my downfall.