January 2016 Moms

Hand, foot, and mouth

stephanienjerstephanienjer member
edited October 2016 in January 2016 Moms
The pestilence! My poor little Birdie has got it bad! 
We took her to urgent care because she had trouble swallowing, and the doctor told us to take her to daycare, can you imagine???
I get that "It's just a cold with a rash," but look at it! She's been miserable. Fever and crying nonstop. My husband and I could barely manage one baby between the two of us. Can you imagine what the poor daycare teachers would go through if they were managing 8 babies between 2 adults? No baby would get the care they deserve. My LO would freak out if I got more than 2 feet from her through her 2 worst days. My husband even had to hold her in the bathroom when I had to go. 

On the other hand, I have a sister in law that works for a major university, and there is an outbreak among their students. If anybody tells you adults can't get it, there's your evidence that they can! 

Anybody else dealt with this in a baby younger than 1?

Re: Hand, foot, and mouth

• I havent delt with this but I know its going around. I have a few friends whos kids have had it but they are over 1. You're poor little one! I hope she feels better soon! That looks painful! And I cant believe your dr said to take her to daycare!
  • Aw I hope your poor sweet baby starts feeling better soon :( 
  • Loading the player...
  • It went around our daycare all summer.  Luckily, DS never got it, but it's really contagious, I'm surprised they told you to take her to daycare.  Our wouldn't let the kids that caught it back in for several days
  • I read some where that once you actually see the symptoms and rash it's already too late which is why it's okay for them to go to daycare. They're most contagious right before the symptoms start. 
  • Poor baby. My lo just had it a few weeks ago but she didn't have a fever and didn't get many sores near or in her mouth. She had a lot on her bottom and back of her legs. She just wanted extra snuggles. We kept her home from daycare for a few days to make sure she didn't get a fever. Hopefully your lo will feel better soon!
  • Brynlee got it the day after she turned 6 months old, the day after vaccines. It started as an awful diaper rash, so bad that I called the doctor on a Saturday night asking if I should take her in. Within 24 hours she had a rash from head to toe. And within 3 days, I had it too. Luckily, the majority of her blisters were external, on her hands, feet, ears, etc. I wasn't so lucky. I had God-awful bleeding sores all the way down my throat. I also had them terribly on my hands and feet. Even over 2 months later (which I think is crazy), dried up blisters were popping up on the thicker calloused areas of my feet. It was worse than any case of strep I've ever had...
  • Brynlee got it the day after she turned 6 months old, the day after vaccines. It started as an awful diaper rash, so bad that I called the doctor on a Saturday night asking if I should take her in. Within 24 hours she had a rash from head to toe. And within 3 days, I had it too. Luckily, the majority of her blisters were external, on her hands, feet, ears, etc. I wasn't so lucky. I had God-awful bleeding sores all the way down my throat. I also had them terribly on my hands and feet. Even over 2 months later (which I think is crazy), dried up blisters were popping up on the thicker calloused areas of my feet. It was worse than any case of strep I've ever had...
    Ugh. This does not sound good. I'm 90% sure I've got it. I've been running a fever, my throat feels like fire, and my joints ache so bad. She's been sleeping with me since she started feeling bad, and of course, I'll wake up to her dragging her snotty nose across my face. :(
  • @stephanienjer ugh, you poor mama. It was awful. I felt like I was swallowing glass. And to try and suck it up and be mom to both my sick baby and my not-sick, wild, and crazy toddler was so miserable :( hope you both feel better soon. After about a week it was completely gone for both of us, other than random dried up blisters...
  • My 4 year old had it when he was 7 months. I was told to stay out of daycare until fever and sores gone ... took about 10 days. Bleach and lysol everything!! Daycare should be disinfecting everything as well. Hand foot mouth is no joke!!
  • My 4 year old had it when he was 7 months. I was told to stay out of daycare until fever and sores gone ... took about 10 days. Bleach and lysol everything!! Daycare should be disinfecting everything as well. Hand foot mouth is no joke!!
    This 100%. HFM is extremely contagious. Our doc pretty much told us to stay on lock down. 
  • One of the private schools here had to close completely, it's so bad. I haven't been able to walk or hold anything for two days--my hands and feet have been on fire. Our chiro recommended to my husband to try soaking in a bath with apple cider vinegar, and then using lavender and tea tree oil (diluted with carrier oil,) and that has helped so much. I can walk, but with pain. Still can't grip anything.
  • My heart goes out for you @stephanienjer! How is your LO feeling? I truly hope that you are both feeling better, and that none of your other family members have caught it. 
  • My heart goes out for you @stephanienjer! How is your LO feeling? I truly hope that you are both feeling better, and that none of your other family members have caught it. 
    She's doing really well. Almost all of her spots have cleared up--her appetite is back and she's back to being my happy girl. I'm back to work today for the first time, and nobody else seems to have caught it, thank goodness!
  • My babe just caught this as well. So miserable. Glad to hear you guys are doing better!
  • @amberjinnett
    Use the remedies I put above! They really do help!