1st Trimester
Options

UTI

I just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant. I have been up all night with the discomfort of what I believe to be a UTI. I attempted to get some cranberry juice, but stores are all closed. I started to search for some home remedies and found a few articles that said UTIs can lead to miscarriage. Does anyone know anything about this? This is my fourth pregnancy, and all of my others I have miscarried. I'm scared. 

Re: UTI

• Options
    Call your dr they will be able to test and give you medicine but yes cranberry juice can help 
  • Options
    Please do not rely on home remedies. You need to be seen by a physician and get antibiotics if you indeed have a UTI. Try to relax though. Many symptoms of early pregnancy mimic UTI. Only your OB (or primary provider even) can tell if it is or not. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I swallow 3 cloves of garlic, 3 times daily, if I ever have any symptoms. It's important to make sure your garlic is from a reputable source, though. It's very effective, and works every time. I would always try that, before trying antibiotics. I have a sensitive system, and now that I'm pregnant, I definitely don't want to expose my little babe to anything unnecessary.
  • Options
    Please go to your doctor. There are a number of antibiotics that are perfectly safe to use during pregnancy, and a UTI is not something you want to get worse. I was on antibiotics twice while pregnant with DS (one for a sinus infection, one for a UTI) because the benefits of me getting better were worth more than the marginal risks associated with treatment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Please see a doctor. I get frequent UTIs that I home treat, but being pregnant would be an immediate trip to my doc!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    I got my first ever UTI during my TWW. I tried treating it at home for a day or two, but ultimately went to the doctor. I am happy that I did. I was prescribed an antibiotic and it went away in a few days. I wouldn't mess around with the home remedies. 
  • Options
    I echo others, please see your doctor. I have had two of these things - they are very common while pregnant! And leaving it untreated can harm your baby. Good luck!
    Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• Options
    Thanks girls! I did end up kicking it on my own, but called my doctor just to be sure. They didn't seem too concerned and assured me this is pretty common. Unfortunately, I'm pretty prone to getting them, so I'm sure there is more to come :( thanks for the input!
  • Options
    I actually just went to urgent care this morning for a UTI that started last night! I'm glad I did because my doc prescribed me a super safe antibiotic, and now I don't have to worry about the babes!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    I swallow 3 cloves of garlic, 3 times daily, if I ever have any symptoms. It's important to make sure your garlic is from a reputable source, though. It's very effective, and works every time. I would always try that, before trying antibiotics. I have a sensitive system, and now that I'm pregnant, I definitely don't want to expose my little babe to anything unnecessary.
    Trying to decide if you're being serious....

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Trying to decide if you're being serious....
    Yes.
  • Options
    From AAFP, available at https://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0201/p713.html :

"All pregnant women should be screened for bacteriuria and subsequently treated with antibiotics such as nitrofurantoin, sulfisoxazole or cephalexin....Pyelonephritis can be a life-threatening illness, with increased risk of perinatal and neonatal morbidity."

Sorry, garlic isn't on the list. So you won't expose LO to antibiotics, but you'll risk life-threatening illness if the infection travels to the kidney? Scary.
  • Options
    We have a difference of opinions, and the difference is that mine is based on my experience. You do what works for you, and I'll do what works for me
  • Options
    Because science clearly is wrong..... 

Enjoy these 9 months in your garlic scented bubble! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    BahahaHA!! You guys will bite on anything.