March 2017 Moms
Options

Gender wrong at 12 weeks?? Was told boy now 18w girl?!

kistner3kistner3 member
edited October 2016 in March 2017 Moms

Anyone else experience this?! Any one have any gender pics to compare. I'm going crazy because what if they are wrong again! 

Re: Gender wrong at 12 weeks?? Was told boy now 18w girl?!

• Options
    I would never take a 12 week gender prediction as the final word. Too early. 
    Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    12 wks is very early to tell. They shouldn't have confirmed it that early. 
  • Options
    I had genetic testing at 12 weeks that said the sex but feel that is way too early to confirm via ultrasound.
  • Options
    My obgyn ultrasound tech she was pretty sure!  
  • Options
    When is your anatomy scan? I would just wait until then to confirm or compare pics. 
  • Options
    That's the pic from my anatomy scan today. They didn't provide pics from my 12 week 
  • Options
    12 weeks is really early.  I don't think you can really count on it until closer to 16 or 17 weeks.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I would trust the anatomy scan ultrasound over the 12 wk one. Maybe do an elective ultrasound if you want a second opinion. 
  • Options
    12 weeks is way too early to tell. The parts aren't even developed and can often look the same at that point. 
  • Options
    In my area the earliest to to an elective US is 13 weeks but even that is kinda early. We didn't do elective until 15 weeks with both and it was obvious what it was. As @mcdonald-bailey I'd definitely trust your anatomy scan over the 12 week. 
  • Options
    12 wks is very early to tell. They shouldn't have confirmed it that early. 
    They really shouldn't have been trying to at that point!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My friend from high school was told girl at her anatomy scan and ended up having a boy...
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• Options
    Ditto to everyone above... 12 weeks is far too early to tell.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

According to Google: "Here's a comparison of fetal genitalia at 11 weeks" 

Well thanks Google lol :D  Yikes those pictures make me cringe

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• Options
    My sister was totally a boy in ultrasounds. Guess that anatomy was a well-placed finger. 
  • Options
    My last pregnancy, I got an elective ultrasound... I didn't do it for gender reveal purposes, but that was included.... So they wouldn't see anyone before 15 weeks because it's too hard to tell before then. They said girl, and it was confirmed at my 18 week anatomy scan.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    BurrberrymumBurrberrymum member
    edited October 2016
    Like PP mentioned 12 weeks is very early to tell. Our niece was supposed to be a boy the entire pregnancy even the anatomy scan they were told boy.. Turns out, surprise, she was a girl! So sometimes it's not 100%. It mostly happens when you expect a boy and baby is born and voila a girl because sometimes the swelling of the genitals takes longer for some baby girls to go down, which makes it hard to distinguish in the ultrasound. Going from boy to seeing it's a girl in the ultrasound is more likely to be accurate that baby is in fact a girl if that makes you feel any better. If that makes sense, I'm tired. 
  • Options
    Gosh ladies!! These stories are now making me even more paranoid my ultrasound tech was incorrect 
  • Options
    Agree with PPs, 12 weeks is too early to get a solid idea. We had a guess at 13 weeks, the tech had only an 80% confidence in the sex. We also did Sneak Peek, so we're pretty sure it's a girl, but I'm still not going to buy a ton of pink stuff yet. The genitalia are way too similar at 12 weeks to know for sure. 
    DH: 29
    Me: 27
    Married 9/20/14 
    BFP: 7/3/16
    EDD: 3/13/17

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    My ultrasound tech would only make a guess today at 16 weeks 5 days.

@kistner3 when is your next ultrasound? Maybe, based on the fact that they got the sex wrong the first time they would be willing to take an extra close look next time. 
  • Options
    Not until 36 weeks! But I'm going crazy so I scheduled an elective one for the 29th hehe!
  • Options
    Lurking from April 2017

A friend of mine had a tech make a guess at 12 weeks. They told her it was a boy. When she told me I told her that it was WAY too early to really tell. Then later on (can't remember the exact week), she was told she was having a girl. Sure enough, the first "guess" was wrong.
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Options
    Now I'm nervous!! Our tech was certain we are having a boy at our NT scan at 13w4d !!
  • Options
    Yeah, remember how some people have all kinds of nub theories based on 12 week scans? That's because both sexes have nubs at 12 weeks. Nub doesn't equal penis! 

*TW* - BFP & MC in March 2016.
    BFP in June 2016; EDD March 2017.
    Samuel born February 2017! 

• Options
    Ummm I hate to break it to you but even the anatomy scan isn't always accurate...

SURPRISE!!! 

my anatomy scan with an OB and ultrasound tech told me a girl with our last kid... At 38 weeks, our ultrasound said boy... We had a boy. 

It's not too late to switch to team green ;)
  • Options
    my tech at the 12 week was 100% sure it was a girl. now I'm questioning everything!
  • Options
    1. Of trust as over the first
    2. You really cant actually tell girl ufor sure nless you visualize the labia. A lot of techs will say girl just because they didn't see a penis. But that penis could be hiding! From what I understand labia on an as look like three parallel lines. Did you get a good crotch shot? Check to see what you see. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker