September 2015 Moms

Does it sound like we need to drop a nap?

Does it sound like we're ready to drop the first nap? I know average age to drop the morning nap is 15-18 months, so I didn't think it may happen so soon at 13 months!

Here's the details: My daughter...
-is sleeping 10.5-11 hours consistently at night for about 3 weeks -for the past 1.5ish weeks she is taking a really short morning nap (between 30-50 minutes usually), which is very atypical for her! -twice now she has completely SKIPPED her afternoon nap too and does not seem ANYWHERE near tired. -when she has skipped that nap she was up like 6+ hours, didn't seem crabby and slept fine at night

As I am typing it out, I think I've convinced myself that YES she should drop. I'd still love wisdom from my lovely mom friends on the matter! Thank you! 

Re: Does it sound like we need to drop a nap?

• I let mine give me the cues. He gets as many naps as he decides he needs. He skipped a nap entirely because he slept til 11 this morning. We had a very busy day yesterday and only got one nap plus a half hour in the car on our way to a wedding. There are days he wants 3 and days where two are fine. I put him down when he starts getting whiny. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • On the days we go to daycare (4 days a week) he only gets one nap from like noon to 2ish. He's the youngest in his class but the rest of them range up to 18 months or so. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine dropped their nap a little before their 1st birthday. 

I used to put the boys down for a nap 2 hours after they woke in the morning. They would only sleep for about 30-50 like your LO and wouldnt want their afternoon nap but by 630 they were really sleepy and fussy. So now i lay them down 3 hours after they wake in the morning & they sleep 1.5 -2 hours & once in a while 3 hours. So its usually from 10am-12pm and they are fine until their bed time @745pm....if they dont sleep those 2 hours theyll sleep maybe 15 minutes around 230 and it helps them be okay until bedtime.

There are days like these lovely mommas mentioned, that are different if we are out & about they nap later or dont sleep as much & bed time is earlier. We as moms know what our kids need &I say do what you feel she needs. 
  • I think it totally depends on the kid! Our 13-month-old still gets crabby and tired 3 hours after waking up in the morning (even if he slept 12 hours), so he still gets a morning and afternoon nap. His morning naps are usually an hour or less, but he wakes up much happier! His afternoon nap is 3 hours after he woke up from his morning nap and is usually the longer nap. We just make sure he's up by 6:15 p.m. (bedtime is between 8-8:30 p.m. for him).

At this age, kids usually need about 12-14 hours of sleep total per day between nighttime and naps, so if your kiddo does great with just the one nap, I say go for it! We'll be keeping two naps until it's obvious LO is ready for just one, but right now he seems to love his nap time and still needs both of them!
  • I think its a possibility at this age.  Some kids do great with the 2-1 transtions, some drop a nap and then go back to needing one after a week or two.  There is frequently a regression around 12 or 13 months that can appear like LO needs to drop a nap but it is really hard to tell.  Some signs are fighting naps or short naps, early morning wake ups (indicating changing sleep needs) and trouble falling asleep at night because the wake time before bed is no longer enough.  

It can't hurt to give it a shot, especially if naps are crummy anyway.  I'm seeing signs that DS2 is getting close, although he still does okay going down his morning is closer to 6 am than 7 am now.  I've done some playing around and some days put him on a one nap schedule.  Looking forward to one long nap midday since it makes planning activities a bit easier ;) I'd go for it and see how she does!
  • @ElleMF728 While I appreciated everyone's responses, I must admit I FF to yours once I saw you posted. :) Baby Sleep Guru! 

Ok, so wait...would you do the incremental thing where you push back about 15 minutes each day until the AM nap is later? With a 7-7:30 PM bedtime what Naptime (for one nap) is said to be ideal for toddlers? 

Everything Ive read online (which is too much that I'm overwhelmed and why I'm asking here!) says 4 hours awake MAX before bed. Does that stay the case once they're on one nap, from your experience? 

Thank you!
  • @kmcshane0211 LOL not a guru just really good at repeating and relaying some of the great advice I get or have gotten in the past.  Thanks for the confidence though, I hope I'm able to help at least a little :) 

No, when you are on 1 nap the 4 hour wake before bed will be extended. Most babies this age need 10-12 hours or so of wake time every day, give or take so you are probably looking at 5-5.5 hours. The timing would depend on a few things, like what time your little one typically wakes in the morning, how much total sleep she gets on average and how long you would expect the nap to be. Bedtime may need to shift a little earlier. In a lot of cases a bedtime that was previously 7:30 pm for example would move a little earlier, maybe to 7 pm.

Just as an example, a 7 am morning wake would probably mean a nap around 11:30 am or 12 pm and then bedtime 7-7:30 depending on how long she napped for.

One good thing to consider is that once you get a good time and nap established you can likely switch to a by the clock schedule rather than wake times which will be really nice!  The transition may be a little back and forth for a bit while your daughter gets used to it.  

To answer your other question I wouldn't worry about the incremental thing in this case, especially if some days she is refusing it in the first place.  Maybe pick a time 4-5 hours after she wakes in the morning and see how she does. There is no reason you can't move back to two naps and try again later if she has a hard time with it. Good luck! 
  • We're having major nap issues too.  He goes a few days of normal sleep patterns, taking both his naps, then has a few days where he refuses either the AM or PM one.  It's been a mess.  He doesn't sleep very late in the morning either, we're lucky if he makes it to 6:30, and he usually doesn't fall asleep for the night until 7:30.  

I don't think he's ready for 1 nap yet because he gets so cranky on these days that he is refusing one of the naps.  Today he woke up at 6:10, took a one hour morning nap, and has refused his afternoon nap.  So we usually put him into bed at 7:00 for bedtime, he will have been awake for EIGHT hours.  Not good. 

Not really sure what to do right now except continue to put him down at his normal nap times and ride it out.  Hoping it's teething related and he'll go back to his normal nap schedule soon.  He's not very fun to deal with when he's lacking so much sleep.  :neutral:
  • ElleMF728ElleMF728 member
    edited October 2016
    @kmcshane Wanted to put it out there that we are dealing with this too now apparently.  DH and I had a talk and think it's probably time to give the one nap schedule a pretty decent go of it.  DS2 has been consistently having early morning wake ups and we think it is largely due to too much day time sleep.  I think it is just a big transition time in general between that and just normal becoming a toddler stuff.  Solidarity! Let me know how it's going with yours, I figure this is probably a good time since we will have to adjust anyway for daylight savings time soon. 

@lmbrandt just throwing this out there.  One of my plans to deal with really early wake ups is to let DS2 take a morning nap but to keep it short so he isn't sleeping to much.  I plan to wake him after 20 or 30 minutes, something like that could help to deal with an afternoon nap refusal too possibly. 

ETA: Really missing my 7 am wake ups right about now ;) I know he is still getting enough overnight but I'm really hoping we will be back there soon!
  • @ElleMF728 we are having the early morning wake up problems too! Not sure how to make it stop. I feel like I've been living off coffee this past month...

LO is 13 months and is in dayhome. We have an early drop off time at 7am so we would like LO to wake up about 6. Unfortunately, since he has started dayhome he is super eager to wake up and has been doing so regularly at about 4:30am (*yawns*) Somedays I can get him back to sleep but only for about a half hour and then he is raring to go again. We start our bedtime routine at about 5:45 and he is usually in bed about 6:30. So he is getting about 10 hours at night. We were telling our dayhome provider to continue with the 2 naps. His morning nap is about 45min-1hour and the afternoon nap is about an hour as well. So he is hitting his 12 hours of sleep but this working mama would really love to start sleeping in!! We took a few cracks at the one nap at dayhome. She said it was easier for him to fall asleep but was still sleeping about an hour to an hour and a half with just the one nap My guy has never been a long nap baby. An hour for him is considered long. So it makes it hard to drop the morning nap when he's been up at 4:30! Not sure what to do... Would you continue with 2 naps??? 
  • Little man is waking up about an hour earlier the past few weeks. However it started happening when DH started a new job and is out the door by 6 am now. I am thinking the alarm is waking him because he is sleeping later on the weekends. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • LO has always been an early to rise baby and is up by 0530 almost every day I'm lucky if he sleeps till 6 or 7. We dropped to 1 nap around his first birthday. He started refusing his afternoon nap and extending his morning nap. Now he still wakes up around 530am takes a nap from 10-1 or 130 them goes to bed at 700pm. 
  • I'm going day by day at this point. LO did the opposite of yours, his earlier nap has gotten later and longer while his late nap gets skipped entirely about 50% of the time now. We went from him waking around 8AM, napping from 10:30-12ish, second nap was 3PM-4:30PM then bed at 8PM. These days it's more like 9AM wake up, 11:30AM-2:30PM nap, and bed at 8PM. On days where he does take a second nap its more like first nap 10AM-12PM and second nap 4PM to like 4:45Pm. It's weird but Im just going with it.
  • @ElleMF728, thanks for the info!  We are still struggling with the nap situation here.  I'd say he consistently is waking for the day between 6:00-6:30.  I extended his morning wake time because he was having trouble falling asleep for that morning nap some days.  I put him down for the first nap between 9:50/10:00.  Today he slept for about 1 hour & 20 minutes.  I then attempted his second nap at 3:45.  He is definitely not falling asleep for it.  

If I start capping that first nap, what time increment?  30-40 min?  I'm REALLY hoping that will help give us an afternoon nap!  I just can't see how I could push that morning nap back anymore right now...don't think he can handle it.  But, the afternoon gap before bedtime is huge, like 7 hours!  Eventually, when he is 100% on one nap, I'd really like it to start maybe around 1ish?  

Oh how I hate that sleep patterns are always changing!!   Thanks for your suggestions!!  :smiley:
  • @lmbrandt That's what I'm currently doing when he wakes before 7 am (our bedtime is 8-8:30 pm).  The absolute longest I'll let him sleep for is 45 minutes and that's if we have a 6 am wake up.  Some days I'll even run errands in the morning around nap time and cross my fingers for a 15 minute cat nap.  

I have noticed that since I've started our big nap usually starts between 1 and 2 which is ideal for our schedule.  Just as an idea this is what I am hoping to move to: 
    7:30 am Wake
    12:30-2:30 Nap
    8:30 Bed

He isn't there yet but I'm hoping within a month or two this will be our new schedule. You may have to play around and see what suits your family best.  My little guy usually hits 13 hours total sleep so I've found that if I'd like an 11 hour night then I have to limit day sleep to about 2 hours. Maybe if you have a 6 am wake you could try for a 9-9:30 nap another from 1-2:30pm.  That would hopefully set you up pretty nicely for a 7:30 bedtime. In my experience capping the first nap has definitely made the second nap easier to make happen (though I hate waking him just because I miss that free time in the mornings!).