TTC After a Loss

No temp rise after pos opk

Hey, I'm new to this group and I don't know if it's ok to post specific questions like this, so forgive me. I used the expensive OPKs this month, and got 2 days of blinky smiley face indicating estrogen surge before 1 day of solid smiley indicating LH surge. The solid smiley was Monday morning. It's now Friday and still no temp rise. This happened last month too, and I finally got a temp rise 6 days after the positive opk, followed by my period 8 days later.  My husband went out of town Monday night, so no BD since then.  I guess I'm out of the running this month?  Has this happened to anyone else?  Before the MC I never had anything like this, my temps rose at most 48 hours after the pos opk.

Re: No temp rise after pos opk

• Welcome @migdala. Are you using CBE Advanced? Both myself and @BitterBetty12 have had issues with them falsely identifying LH surges way early. In my case, I got the steady smiley on CD 11 and usually ovulate around cd 17 or 18. Combine this with no temp rise, I'm pretty sure I haven't ovulated yet. Have you tested it with an ovulation strip? Was your surge earlier than usual? Also, it's not uncommon to have multiple LH surges. I'd buy some strips and keep testing, temping, and BD-ing until you get that temp rise. Best of luck!
  • RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    edited October 2016
    I'm sorry for your loss @migdala, but welcome to the board. Questions like this are fine, but you might get more responses and information if you posted in the monthly WTO (Waiting to Ovulate) thread. Several ladies have OPK issues in there, and can help you out. It's also a good place to chat and vent each month.

It sounds like you are getting false surges. An OPK only says that you *might* ovulate in 12-48 hours. It's not a guarantee. Basal body temperature confirms you ovulated after the fact, so if you haven't had a temp rise, then you haven't ovulated yet. Did you stop using the OPKs after the first positive? If so, I'd recommend to keep using them until you get your temp rise. You can buy cheap ones online (Wondfos are generally pretty good), so you don't feel like you are peeing on money every month.
  • Loading the player...
  • @chloe97 thank you for responding! I used the Clearblue Advanced Digital (the purple tipped one) and also the regular Clearblue Digital (the pink tipped one).  The regular one gave me a pos the same day I got the solid smiley from the Advanced.

This is probably a really stupid question, but what are ovulation strips? 
  • @migdala the cheaper versions of OPKs are just paper strips that you dip into a cup with urine. You then have to compare the two lines - an OPK is positive if the test line is as dark or darker than the control line. It takes some interpretation on your part, but they're much cheaper. I got a bag of 100 test strips on Amazon for $30. I bought them a year ago and still haven't run out.
  • @RiverSong15 oh wow, that's a great tip, I'm off to Amazon to buy some right now. Thank you!