June 2017 Moms
Options

Flu Shot

Are you going to get a flu shot? My work is having them done at our all-district meeting on the 20th. Everything I read online says pregnant women should be vaccinated, and that this year is going to be a nasty strain. My GP said it would be fine. I don't want to draw attention to myself at the meeting by
declininng the shot, as I'm not planning to tell my supervisor for at least another month.

But my PGAL/generally anxious brain keeps running through worst case scenarios where I'm allergic to the shot and something horrible happens.  I don't know if I've ever had a flu shot, but I've never had any allergies to other vaccines,medications, or eggs. Any thoughts?

Re: Flu Shot

• Options
    I got what I believe was the flu during my first pregnancy in the third trimester (even after having the flu shot) and was absolutely terrified after reading all sorts of risks of getting that sick while pregnant - so YES I will be getting it again and crossing my fingers it protects against the correct strains this time around. 

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Options
    Yes, I've gotten the shot every year (even the pregnant ones) since I graduated college.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I get it every year. As soon as able when pregnant because a compromised immune system plus the flu can be a bad combination. 
  • Options
     My OB basically scared me into getting one when I tried to declined. She explained how detrimental the flu can be to pregnant women and it can even land you in the ICU because your immune system is so deflated. If you aren't comfortable getting one at work, talk to your OB... Most of them offer flu shots at a regular appointment. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was SO wondering about this!! I am afraid to get one AND afraid NOT to get one! So what is a girl to do? Honestly though, it sounds like getting one is the safer thing to do. I will probably get one within the next week. I work as a therapist with kids and today 2 of my clients were sick. It made me wish I had already gotten the flu shot, and now I am paranoid.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    I got mine a few days ago, the day after was kind of rough but totally easy peasy and worth the peace of mind knowing that I'm doing everything I can to prevent the flu and therefore help to protect my baby. 

There is a version that is safe for pregnancy, so dont that scare you!
    TTC #1 since May 2014
    3 failed IUI cycles
    Oct '15 - IVF 1 - 10R, 3M, 0F
    Sept '16 - IVF - 12R, 11M, 5F and 3 perfect day 5 blasts - MMC 7w5d
    Jan '17 - FET 1 - BFP, EDD 10/14

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Got mine with DD and will get it again when they're at the office in a few weeks.  Flu is no joke, even under normal circumstances, I wouldn't want it while pregnant.
  • Options
    I'm a nurse and in my health authority I have the option to either get the flu shot or wear a mask over my face until spring so I'm getting my flu shot- so is my husband and daughter. I don't want to risk getting sick while pregnant. Even if the shot protects against only a few different flu strains, if I happen to get the flu it won't be as severe as it would be if I don't get the shot 
  • Options
    HgPaHgPa member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for all the reassurance, everyone!
    @wifeinraleigh28 I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering :)
  • Options
    I always get one and I got one the first time I was pregnant. I bully everyone in my family to get one.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    I'll be getting one! I need to talk to my ob and see if I can get it there or if I have to go elsewhere.  That also reminds me I need to take my kiddos in for theirs! 
  • Options
    As an asthmatic I have gotten the flu shot almost every year since I was a teenager. Now that I work in an office with 500 people, I NEVER miss it. Since I'm pregnant this year, I got the shot when my office offered it

• Options
    I'll get mine for sure, probably at my first midwife appointment. I had to miss the one at work
    BabyFruit Ticker mean_girls_35345
  • Options
    So I just called my OB because I usually get my flu shot there whenever I get my annual exams. But they told me that they apparently have a policy where they don't give the flu shot to pregnant patients until after the first ultrasound confirming heartbeat. Ugh! With the flu going around I really don't want to wait, but I feel more comfortable getting it from them than say, Walgreens.

• Options
    I've never gotten one before, now that I have a son in school I may consider it because of all of the germs he could potentially bring home. He gets the flu shot every year.

~Declare it..Claim it..It will be!!~

5/9/09
    Lilypie - Personal picture 

Here We Go Again!!

• Options
    @wifeinraleigh28 Did they say why? I was planning on going to get one this weekend rather than wait for my first appointment, but now I'm wondering if I should call my OB to check first. 
  • Options
    @MKRLTX It was so weird. I asked why, and she said that it has to do with liability, so that we can't blame their office for giving us a flu shot if we have a problem. So then I obviously asked if it was recommended that pregnant women wait until after their first ultrasound to get a flu shot period, she said NO, that it is recommended that we get it ASAP. I became irritable with the lady (who I imagine is the receptionist) and she agreed with me that it didn't make sense, and said she would check with my doctor and call me back.

• Options
    @wifeinraleigh28 That is bizarre. They don't want to be liable, but you should get one somewhere else asap?  Keep us posted on what the receptionist says when she calls back. 
  • Options
    I work in healthcare, so the flu shot is mandatory for me. I've gotten mine for as long as I can remember and I just got mine Monday. My daughter doesn't get the choice either. I'm all about safety with her and myself. 
  • Options
    @MKRLTX Got the call back, just to confirm that yes, I need to wait until after my first ultrasound. I would have spent more time on the phone complaining but I'm at work now and don't want to be overheard.

• Options
    @MKRLTX Got the call back, just to confirm that yes, I need to wait until after my first ultrasound. I would have spent more time on the phone complaining but I'm at work now and don't want to be overheard.
    Oh this is very interesting!  I'll have to call my doctor now as I was planning to receive my shot next week (my company does a free clinic annually).  Good thing I saw this!
  • Options
    I had my shot with my first pregnancy before my first ultrasound.  I called my doctor and she told me to absolutely get it.  I did request the preservative-free version, because they had it available, but that's not totally necessary.  I did have to fight the people to give it to me though.  It was at work, and the form required you to tell them if you were pregnant, and the first nurse told me I couldn't get it, but I complained and the head nurse said I could get it, just the other version.  However, they had this conversation across the room at each other VERY LOUDLY, in my place of employment, when I hadn't told them I was pregnant yet, which wasn't ideal.  Luckily it's a very large company and no one I knew was there at the same time as I was.
  • Options
    @Elyse1384 I don't think you have to wait until after first ultrasound to get a flu shot. Seems like my OB does that just to avoid any kind of liability, which makes no sense to me! :angry:

• Options
    delujm0 I would be so annoyed that they could have spilled the news!!! Ahh! 

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

• Options
    i am definitely getting my flu shot, tomorrow actually! I'll be 4w5d. Called my doctor's office today to make sure it is ok, and they said "the sooner the better". 
    Me: 27 DH:29
    Married: August 2014
    TTC#1 since September 2015
    July 2016 - m/c at 7 weeks (blighted ovum)
    November 2016 - m/c at 10 weeks (Turner syndrome)
    May 2017 - m/c at 5 weeks (chemical pregnancy)
    July 2017 - femara 7.5mg days 3-7 + ovidrel + IUI  - BFN
  • Options
    mrtmrt member
    Will definitely be getting mine! My dr said you definitely don't want the flu while pregnant.
  • Options
    Count me in on getting the flu shot.  Modern medicine, y'all.  
  • Options
    I got mine today. After I checked with my OB they said to get is ASAP. My DH got his last week and my DD will get it next week. My DD has an immune deficiency so cold and flu season is kind of a night mare for us! Praying for a healthy season
  • Options
    @jendink Thinking of y'all throughout this coming everything season.  
  • Options
  • Options
    I probably won't. I really don't see the need. I've never had a flu shot. I rarely if ever get sick and when I do, it's nothing more than a cough and stuffy nose for a few days. 
  • Options
    Absol-effing-lately #allthevaccines 

eapecially ly when pregnant, but every year anyhow. The flu is no joke, and I feel being a part of the herd is important as a member of society. 

Plus us dh is a pharmacist and administers them anyhow. He needs the numbers for work, lol, plus we are believers in it

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    @pghctwife - what does that mean?  "he needs the numbers for work?" Do they quota him?  I've never heard of that! 

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Options
    @Turbotastic yep. Affects their bonus, etc. vaccines are huuuuge in pharmacy.  He has goal for the season and has to run a certain number of clinics (on his own time) which have a minimum to count too. His previous employer had weekly goals and regular conference calls yelling at them if they didn't exceed them. Fun times! 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    Got mine yesterday. I am required to get the flu shot to keep my job, it is absolutely mandatory! I have had losses so it's hard to not worry but I actually got a flu shot right after BFP with my now 15mon old :) 
  • Options
    Got my flu shot yesterday and the beast of a woman stabbed my arm.  I'm talking full on windup.  At least I got a lollipop for my efforts.  I'm pretty convinced all the world's problems could be solved with an offering of a sweet/treat.  Maybe that's what the presidential debates are missing. 
  • Options
    I was newly pregnant with DD1 at the beginning of the swim flu debacle. The vax was only available through public health and only to those considered high risk. I had to wait in line at the county office building with a note from my OB stating that I was, in fact, pregnant. 

I was pregnant with DD2 the year the flu vax didn't match the strain very well and DD1 and I both ended up with the flu. Because I was in the first tri there wasn't much of anything they were comfortable giving me. I ended up with bronchitis on top of it. I barely made it off the couch for nearly a month and was sick for nearly 6 weeks total. It was awful. 

This time I'll get the flu shot where ever they're handing them out.
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker