September 2015 Moms

Cabergoline

Ive been weaning from EP. I am now down to one in the morning but can still produce over 5oz. I'm hoping this will lessen and then I plan to stop and deal with discomfort until my body adjusts. However I saw my endocrinologist this week for my thyroid and when I told her I'm still weaning but it's taking long she prescribed me canergoline which reduces prolactin. I was skeptical because I knew there wasn't a pill to stop it and while this will it has very scary side effects!!! She only wants me to take half a pill twice a week but I'm thinking of not taking it becayse of all warnings. Anyone been on this before to wean?? 

Re: Cabergoline

• I've not heard of that, so I can't speak to it. Is it a matter of trying to "dry up"? I know it sounds a bit odd, but I've known some women who have taken benadryl to try to help completely stop producing, because decreased milk production is a side effect of antihistamines. I've heard stories with varying success, but sometimes it works really well!
  • jht4jht4 member
    edited October 2016
    I've gone through weaning with two children now and I've always stopped slowly, usually down to just one nursing or pumping session a day for at least a week before stopping. I had problems with engorgement both times. The first week is usually ok and then it starts to get uncomfortable during the second week. It gets pretty bad for me for a couple of days, large lumps that are very tender and overall decently painful. It starts to get better by the end of the second week.

Is there a reason your doctor wants you to take this or is she just being helpful and trying to let you avoid the pain of engorgement? 

Eta: I do take Benadryl. I don't know if it helps but at least I can sleep!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I also EPed and was pumping twice a day, with production tapering down to about 6 oz total for the day. I just stopped cold turkey and never got engorged or anything. I would try pushing the pump session as long as you can and only pumping for comfort if you need it. I've never heard of that medication so no advice there. 
  • If it were me, I would avoid taking the medication, especially if there's potential bad side effects. I weaned a month ago, slowly, and while I did have plugged ducts a week after dropping my last session, I was able to massage them out within a few days and haven't had any issues since. I was still producing some milk for the next few weeks and could tell they weren't completely emptied, but I now appear to be completely dried up. It can take awhile to dry up completely, but as long as you go slow and pay attention to any plugged ducts, you should be ok! I've also heard that Benedryl can help as it dries your whole body up, so that's also an option if you want to try something (something that doesn't have awful side effects!). Good luck!
  • Caber or also known as Dostinex will reduce prolactin.  The sides will vary from each individual.