May 2017 Moms

New to the community! :)

Hey everyone I'm new to the community due in may 2017. Is anyone else diagnosed with hypothyroidism and have any tips or advice? This is my second but didn't get diagnosed until after my 6 week check up! It really sucks been having issues with weight gain. Will gain and loose but been only gaining right before I conceived. Any help will be appreciated!! Congrats to all the other expecting mommies!!

Re: New to the community! :)

• I was recently diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. I started taking Synthroid a few months ago. I also have a lot of issues with weight despite exercising regularly and eating fairly healthy. Sorry I couldn't be of much help or offer tips as I am a newbie as well. Just wanted to chime in to let you know you aren't alone. I'll be curious to see any other responses.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm also on Synthroid, my RE told me it could also explain my low estrogen and progesterone levels so I also supplemented with those also.  Oh and I have also been struggling with my weight, I'm convinced it is a combination of low thyroid and having my gallbladder removed.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • museic-2museic-2 member
    edited October 2016
    I've was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism when I was 8. My system continues to attack my thyroid (hashimotos) so the amount of medicine that I need changes every couple years, luckily it's been pretty stable the past 2 years. I take levothyroxine. Always have struggled with weight but it seems to mostly stabilize as long as I'm taking my medicine daily (and an hour before I eat), eating well and walking. It does take 1-3 months for the medicine to really kick in to your system so don't give up!
    I've talked with another woman who has it and has had 2 pregnancies, she said they should be monitoring levels somewhat frequently to see if anything changes due to all the hormones. I went in for my meeting with the nurse today and sure enough she's testing my TSH levels just to check. Hope that helps! Nice to know there are others in a similar situation, congrats everyone! :)
  • Yes, I am also Dx with Hypothyroid and have been taking a Synthroid (Levothyroxine) for close to ten years. My last pregnancy sent my levels a little crazy, but it was well controlled by ensuring I had my TSH checked frequently. Other than that, I do not feel like it affected my pregnancy much. Just to add, my levels were actually more affected after I had my baby and started breastfeeding. So, continue monitoring post birth too.

• I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's right after my first DD was born. I had been on a low level on Synthroid for years, but for some reason it went nuts after she was born. They monitored me regularly during my last pregnancy and my levels were fine. 
  • I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism sept 2014 I suffered really bad with migraines but finally got ok enough on the meds that they mellowed out. My tsh was 161 my endo said that was the highest she has ever seen it in her while career but I also have hashimotos. Glad there are others out there going through the same as me. I couldn't imagine getting diagnosed at 8.... I thought I was dieing due to the fatigue, body hurting, tired, migraines, hair falling out in hand fulls (being a hairdresser doesn't make it easier) , forgetting everything just glad it's finally ok just hoping it doesn't affect my pregnancy!! Today my nurse told me to try real lemon in water it's in the sugar isle no calories and no sugar or additives so I will see if that helps!! Thanks everyone.
  • Hi! I was diagnosed with hypo after my son was born so I've gone through pregnancy on medication. I was on levothyroxine for a couple of years but in the last year got switched to synthroid because my thyroid was not stabilizing on the levothyroxine.

Advice I would give you is to make sure that your ob (or endocrinologist) is taking your TSH levels every month for the first half of the pregnancy at least. I had my ob monitor mine and I was happy with them last time so while I have an endo, I am letting the ob practice take over during pregnancy. That's only because they were wanting to draw labs every month. I switched practices with my daughter at the very beginning of pregnancy because they wanted to take my labs only once per trimester, which I didn't feel was good enough.

Also, know your numbers, don't just go by them telling you "it's low" or "it's fine". It's always good to know where you stand and how you are feeling at any given point. Some people start having hypo or hyper symptoms even when they are in "normal" range because their bodies are more sensitive to TSH levels being high or low. 

Here is the range of what is good, in case you haven't seen this before: 
     > or = 20 Years  0.40-4.50

Pregnancy Ranges
     First trimester    0.26-2.66
     Second trimester   0.55-2.73
     Third trimester    0.43-2.91
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• I was diagnosed as subclinical hypothyroidism right before ds. I changed my diet to anti inflammatory diet, bought a nutribullet, beefed up my veggies and fruits and started taking supplements. I started taking bee pollen, turmeric and a thyroid vitamin by mega foods. I am not a crunchy person but this all brought my numbers down so that I did not need medicine. 
  • I was diagnosed (hashimoto's) about 6 years ago and have been on synthroid since. My aunts and grandmother both have it as well. I am fortunate, because I have never really had symptoms. They did have to monitor my levels and adjust my medicine during my pregnancy.  I am sorry you are struggling and hope it gets easier. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What does a anti-inflammatory diet consist of?
  • museic-2museic-2 member
    edited October 2016
    Ugh, even after having my levels checked and normal before getting pregnant they are low again. I'm at 8 weeks today, glad my doctor was on top of it and caught it right away but irritated my primary didn't test when I went in at 5 weeks. Hoping my body adjusts to the new dosage quickly and that baby is well! We finally get our first u/s today too!
  • Thyroid problems are not fun. Seems like you can't ever get it right not for long at least mine kept going high then way low but my first labs were a little low but still in range. Seems like I go between 150-175 but 150 is too low 175 so I started alternating and see what works for me and it's been a lot better. Good luck!!!