May 2017 Moms

Anyone have experience with SCH?

Have any of you ladies (especially 2+ Moms) experienced SCH? I started bleeding last night, and we were 2 hrs away from home. We went to ER, had US, and babies were fine; both are measuring right on target, and the bleeding stopped, so we left. No pain, no cramps before last night's bleeding, or all day today; Then tonight, almost 24 hrs later from when last night's bleeding started, I started spotting again. Calling my OB first thing in the morning, but any insight is appreciated. I didn't experience spotting or bleeding with either my 2 previous pregnancies. Thanks!

Re: Anyone have experience with SCH?

• I have a SCH at the moment, I started bleeding heavily at 6weeks enough to fill a pad in 30mins, that was for about two hours, until it tapered off to a light period, then spotting the next day, it's been two weeks and I haven't stopped spotting since, and often have quite bad cramping with heavy bleeding for an hour or so. I have had an US since and the SCH is still there, baby is fine. 
    If you were told you had a SCH then there is likely not much to worry about with the spotting, it will continue until the SCH is completely gone.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • I don't know if a SCH is what I had yet, but 2 weeks ago I bled for a few hours and then stopped (and not again since). US a few days later showed a baby and a heartbeat. They didn't mention SCH but said that sometimes this happens with the placenta attaching/forming sometime from 5-7 weeks (for me the bleeding was at 6 weeks).

I guess I'm just saying that sometimes this happens and if they tell me more at my first appointment Wednesday I'll let you know! GOOD LUCK!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I was diagnosed with one over a week ago after going to the ER with bleeding.  Had my first ob appointment a few days later.  Everything looked good to the ob.  He said the sch seems to be resolved...however I have still having alot of brown spotting.  This is the first time I've had this.  I never had any issues with my first.  It's scary and makes you feel uncertain about everything.  I'm going to try my best to hold on to the ob words that it's ok...that it's normal.  
  • I have one. Found out a week ago after having a small amount of reddish/brown bleeding one time. I had an US and showed baby with good heartbeat and measuring fine but a small SCH. No cramping and since then small amount of light brown spotting that has resolved. I got some extra bleeding though for about a day from the transvaginal US. I never had any bleeding with my other two pregnancies so I was scared but all seems fine. I'm taking it easy when I can and just had pelvic rest for one week. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • newmamaronewmamaro member
    edited October 2016
    I also was diagnosed with a SCH after a night of heavy bleeding/cramping. When I went in, they did an ultrasound and found baby was fine but my SCH was large. My NP put me on modified bedrest and pelvic rest for a week. I bled the rest of the that day and then lightly, mostly spotting, for a couple days, then none since. My follow up ultrasound last Monday showed SCH still there, baby still progressing beautifully. The doctor told me that these are fairly common and usually resolve on their own. He said as the uterus expands, they get reabsorbed and don't generally cause any issues. My next ultrasound isn't for 3 weeks from now when I do the NT scan. 
    I am not on bedrest anymore, but I was told to refrain from any exercise until it is resolved. I try to take it easy as much as possible with a two year old!

ETA: He does have me on continued pelvic rest until my next appt.

BFP #1 10/8/13, EDD 6/4/14, DS #1 6/9/14

BFP #2  5/1/16, EDD 12/16/16, MMC 5/27/16

BFP #3  8/29/16, EDD 5/5/17, DS #2 5/11/17

BFP #4  2/28/21, EDD 11/9/21

• Thanks for the replies. I had my apt today and I don't have an SCH. Doc Said to keep an eye on the bleeding (which luckily has stopped) and if I fill a pad to call back. Babies both looked great.
  • At my first appointment a small one was found with the ultrasound, but I hadn't had any bleeding. I was put on pelvic rest and scheduled for a 2 week follow up to check the progress of it. Still saw no bleeding until last Friday (a week and a half later, and it wasn't all thaaaat much but was bright red so it scared the crap out of me. Got in for a check, and everything was fine with baby and the SCH looked smaller. Going back on the 18th to monitor it again. So I guess mine is a little abnorma since I haven't had a lot of bleeding, but scared it will show up at any point!
  • I also had a SCH with my son (three years ago) and bled fairly heavily for about three weeks.   I was already anemic so had to increase my iron intake, but other than that it tapered off after I was into my second trimester.   I don't know if it's related, but my son had a short umbilical chord at birth.... 

But all's well!!  Beautiful 3yo toddler at home!   :

Mama - AKA "Separation Anxiety Counselor, Closet Monster Wrangler, and tired Fetal Incubator"

• I had spotting of red blood around the 6 week mark. I had an ultrasound the revealed a moderately sized SCH. I went back at 7 weeks and baby was growing and SCH seems to be getting a little smaller. I have another checkup next week to check progress of baby and SCH. It's so nerve wracking! I have had on and off spotting since but its mainly brown spotting only for a day or so.

• My symptoms seem similar but I was not told anything about pelvic rest or a follow up... Just my regular appointment in 4 weeks. Hope everything goes smoothly for you!
  • I had a SCH with my first. I found out because I had a ton of bleeding all at once out of nowhere. No cramps or anything. Had it confirmed on an ultrasound and then had lots of spotting for a few weeks. It cleared up by around 12 weeks.
    Me: 33   DH: 42
    DD: 6
    DS: 2
  • I too have 2 kids and never had a SCH... I started spotting and when i went to ER it was discovered i had to 2 gestational sacs... then when I went to doc she found the SCH and a 3rd sac I go back on the 19th to see how many babies are viable but my doc said my SCH shouldn't cause a miscarriage it depends on the location and how big it is. I've read that when some bleed bad the went on bed rest for a week and had no problems after. I don't know a ton about it but i think when you're expecting multiples you get them easier! Don't stress just to see your doctor and do what she says... there are alsi SCH boards that are very helpful check them out!