September 2015 Moms
Options

12 months or older still using formula at all?

LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
edited October 2016 in September 2015 Moms
My LO still has significant gagging issues. The ONLY food he will eat is PBJ. Then, any stage 2 and some stage 3 baby food. Banana flavored Puffs and real banana. That's it. We try different food all the time. He hates cheese, grilled cheese, anything meat or meat flavored baby food, hates pasta anyway I make or cook it. Hates fruit and veggies other than baby food. Won't eat pancakes, eggs, nothing. I feel like he can't be healthy without all the good stuff in formula. After MONTHS of different sippy cups, we still have almost no luck with him using them. He might get a little water or whole milk a day, but it's hardly any! I worry about dehydration if I took the formula away. I have friends that think I'm nuts for not yanking bottles and formula the second he turned 12 months old. But their LO eat and drink anything! So, how many people still have their 12 month or older still on some sort of formula at least once a day? 

12 months or older still using formula at all? 57 votes

Yes
40% 23 votes
No
59% 34 votes

Re: 12 months or older still using formula at all?

• Options
    Should have added we only do a morning bottle and a evening bottle. I spend the rest of the day attempting to figure out how to make he drink from a sippy cup and what the heck he might eat. 
  • Options
    missliz53missliz53 member
    edited October 2016
    We are still doing a mix of formula and cow's milk in bottles and sippys. I'm in the same boat as you as far as that goes. I did switch her to a toddler transition formula since you can use that up to 18 months.  Have you tried putting cow's milk in his bottle? I've heard that it can work better to get them onto cow's milk first and then make tehe switch to sippy's. We are doing a very slow transition. I offer her 2 oz of milk warmed up in her sippy and put what she doesn't drink of that in her bottle with her formula. We are currently doing half and half and plan to stay at that for a while because I'm also worried about her nutrition. 

We are also doing fruit and veggies as purees since she won't touch them otherwise

What does his Dr recommend?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At his 12 month Check up the doctor said to just keep trying different foods all day, everyday. Oh the amount of food we waste! Lol He said not to keep him too full on formula because he needs hunger to motivate him to eat(obviously). That's why I'm going an AM and PM bottles with formula just to keep him hydrated and so I know he's getting something in him. 
  • Options
    We do a pediasure in the morning then whole milk rest of day
  • Options
    We are still on formula. 3 bottles a day. My doctor wasn't worried about it. We will switch to whole milk soon but with his lactose issues we aren't rushing it.

Have you tried giving him the pouches of baby food? My LO hated trying new things for a while so I bought pouches with all the things he didn't like in them. He loved and ate the pouches now he will eat pretty much anything. I used Love Child pouches in veggie chili, ratatouille, pumpkin risotto and veggie casserole. The Love Child have alot of nutrienta and protein in them and thwy are organic. Thwn i use PC organic ones in what love child doesn't have. Purees might be easier if he's having troubles gagging. My LO did too and I found we had to stick to purees longer.

Hope it all gets better for you soon! Do what works best for you and your LO! 
  • Options
    We are completely on Milk, but can't break him of the bottle yet. However, he eats a lot of food.  I would ask you pediatrician, and go with whatever they say. There is usually a different kind of formula for 12+ months 
  • Options
    I have issues with the little one. Slowly transitioning to milk but he was on nutramigen due to issues so I am going slowly. He will eat very few things so I've gone back to pouches. Talked to a nurse at dr office about this and she said to just keep offering so that's what I am doing plus the pouches. As for the bottle he still wants it over a sippy. He really wants nothing to do with the sippy. She said to keep trying and get him off the bottle by 18 months. So that's the goal. He wasn't picky with the baby foods but real food is no fun. Nutragrain bars are a hit though. It's the little victories! 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Options
    We are completely on Milk, but can't break him of the bottle yet. However, he eats a lot of food.  I would ask you pediatrician, and go with whatever they say. There is usually a different kind of formula for 12+ months 
    This is us as well.  No formula but still in bottles.  I'm moving to sippy cups this week and just keeping the one bottle that he gets 45 minutes before bedtime. After a week of that I'll switch that over to a cup as well.  I'm struggling a little because DS2 has no decided that he prefers big boy cups (no spill) to actual sippy cups so I'm not sure which to use.  I'm going to try a sippy for milk and see how he does. 

We bought the cups for DS1 and the little one has basically stolen them for himself. 
  • Options
    Still doing two bottles of formula a day and some boob. I figured we can't just go cold turkey, a slow transition is best for us. 
  • Options
    We are definitly still on bottles - 4-5/day and just getting rid of formula. She's having 2oz formula and 4 oz whole milk in each bottle. When this container of formula is gone that will be the end of it. I figured we'll get her over to milk and then worry about sippy cups. I offer them to her and she'll take a sip (or act like it) but then pretty soon it ends up on the floor. Daycare is going to start offering them to her too. She eats a variety of different foods but not much for volume. 
  • Options
    100% formula but back to basic formula instead of super special ed formula due to milk allergy and slowly adding milk and milk based products. Dr said formula is better than whole milk anyway....