How much are you pumping? — The Bump
Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How much are you pumping?

We are 4 weeks in and bf/pumping (more pumping than bf as she tends to fall asleep before eating enough).

I am pumping every 2-3 hours except during the wee morning hours and typically pumping between 2-3 oz. 

Is this normal or should I be pumping more. She is eating3 oz when eating from bottle so it's enough in terms of demand but not being able to "bank " anything yet.

Re: How much are you pumping?

• Not everyone is able to produce enough to stash. I couldn't, and for a handful of reasons, I had to stop breastfeeding and pumping altogether. However to answer your question, when I was still pumping, I was pumping every 2 hours (except at night) and getting 2-6oz per side. At night, I'd breast feed when she was hungry, and depending on how full I still felt, I'd pump or go to bed.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • indy_chic said:
    We are 4 weeks in and bf/pumping (more pumping than bf as she tends to fall asleep before eating enough).

I am pumping every 2-3 hours except during the wee morning hours and typically pumping between 2-3 oz. 

Is this normal or should I be pumping more. She is eating3 oz when eating from bottle so it's enough in terms of demand but not being able to "bank " anything yet.
    This is a good amount in my opinion. Try not to focus on freezing a stash. It's helpful to have back up but I have learned that for me, it causes more stress to worry about freezing milk than what I amount I need to feed my baby. You're doing a good job. Typically about an ounce/hour is average for me. Some days more, some days less.
  • Loading the player...
  • Try adding one extra pump session a day and save whatever you get, even if it's not much. You can combine multiple days worth of milk and just label it with the oldest date. Eventually your supply will pick up enough to cover the extra feeding.
    ME: 32  DH: 32 DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::