Trying to Get Pregnant

IF/Testing Check-In -- Week of 9/26

Re: IF/Testing Check-In -- Week of 9/26

• @Mokay19 welcome to WA!  I hope you love it here.

@BaileyM321 we went straight for the IUI and then added Clomid to the mix on IUI #2.  I was hesitant to put chemicals/hormones into my body.  

Diagnosis (If you've been): 
    No diagnosis yet (possible cilia problems)

Cycle/CD: Cycle 19, CD 6

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):  WTO

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?) Clomid + IUI #3

How are things going?  All is well. Thankful for a community that understands this crazy journey!

Any questions? For those of you doing IUIs and grappling with when/if to move on to IVF, what are you basing your decision on?  My RE has essentially said that we can't go above a set number of IUIs (6) but that we can move on to IVF at any point.  I was thinking that we'd give IUIs a chance for 3-4 cycles and then move on, but now I'm not sure.  IVFs are incredibly expensive.  At the same time, I don't want to waste more on IUIs if they aren't going to be successful.  Any advice out there?  (We've been saving for a house and it pains me to use our downpayment money for IVF)

GTKY: What's one weird thing that you are strongly opinionated about? (i.e. something most people are not strongly opinionated about)  Not that I can think of right now.  
    Me: 32
    DH: 34
    TTC #1 since March 2015
    BFP after IVF March 2017
  • @tallyally. i think I've read that after 3-4 IUis the odds of success go down.  We will likely go for 4 before we re evaluate.  I am ok with Ivf.  The money sucks but we'll deal. H has some concerns about it that we'd have to work through though.  I have the number for a counselor in my back pocket.  After the rough time I had last cycle I was about to call, but then we got to do the IUI and, well, I felt better.  If this second IUI is a failure I plan to call so maybe we can start the IVF talks there and work through what needs to be worked through just in case.  

I have  also heard the case for going straight to IVf to save money but I think in my case it might still be worth the IUIs.  For me each IUI ends up being about   $550 total ($450 for the sperm washing and actual IUI, about $30 for the monitoring scans (those are covered), and about $50 in meds plus whatever I spend on gas to get to the office,etc).  Compared to the possible IVF cost where literally nothing with be covered... The IUIs aren't that bad. 

• Loading the player...
  • @furbabymom2007 keeping my fingers crossed for your folly check on CD 11!!!! I hope this cycle goes much more smoothly than last :smile: !!!

@mrsdee15 I am hopeful for you too! Hope is a scary thing.... but we can't help but have it, because if we don't, why are we doing this, right?

@tripledaggerWed95976  thank you for sharing your experience. We are also dealing with MFI, so about to start down the IVF road, just skipping over the IUI portion because we are 100% OOP. I really hope you get the second naturally, who knows right?! It also makes me feel better that you didn't find it much more difficult than IUI. 

@felix08 I know this is a hard decision and it really hits you like a ton of bricks, but I felt like once I made the decision to move forward I didn't feel as negative as I have this past almost year now. Although if natural BFNs hurt me, I can't imagine the testing day for IVF....god help me... Regardless..I am here for you, we all are here for you! Let me know if you have any quesionts, I may not be through the process yet, but I feel like I am only a couple steps in front of you.

@tallyally are you all OOP? Even for IUI? We are and we skipped IUI and are going straight for IVF, I just couldn't spend a couple extra thousand when that could be spend on PGS testing or something else I would have to pay for, but everyone has a different road and different situation. I think for me it came down to the percentages as well, we have 0-1% morph and with that our chances with iui are like 8%, our natural like 1%, so for me, I would rather throw all my money at like 50% and up. Most clinics offer a cost sharing progam that can help lessen the blow of multiple cycles and even give money back if none work. Of course, it's a gamble because you pay more, but if you get knocked up first time you lose the extra money, but I doubt anyone complains when they get pregnant on the first try...
    TTC #1 - December 2015
    Me:31 H:31
    DX: MFI - 1% Morph 
    12/16 -IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol w/ Lupron trigger
    ER - 11 retrieved- 9 mature - 7 fertilized - 3 sent for PGS on day 5 - No normals (1 XXX Embryo - may use in future)
    3/17 - IVF #2 - Antagonist Protocol w/ HCG trigger
    ER- 13 retrieved - 11 mature - 8 fertilized - 2 sent for PGS on day 5 -2 Normal
    FET #1 - 5/16/17 - BFP! - Beta #1 5/25 - 156 - Beta #2 5/30 - 2562 - Beta #3 6/1 - 5191!

• @zoey1019 how exciting that you're about to start IVF!! I totally get what you're saying about the time crawling by until you start!!! My RE does IVF in groups so even though I already had all my testing and everything done I still had to wait two months to start and it was the longest 2 months of my life!!! 
    My best advice I can give to any ladies who are about to start IVF is don't read IVF stories and compare yourself to others on how many eggs you end up getting.  I drove myself INSANE doing that because we ended up only getting 5 mature eggs (4 of which fertilized with ICSI) and only two made it to 5 day blasts.   I was terrified because I kept reading stories of women who got like 20+ eggs retrieved, and we only had the 5.   But it turned out I was worrying all for nothing!
  • @zoey1019 I know exactly what you mean--for the first time in many months, I've actually felt optimistic when thinking about doing IVF. Finally, the idea of having a baby is realistic again. H and I are 98% sure we want to move forward with IVF and I'll call the RE's office when AF starts (I'm hoping today is CD1, too!). They'll have me start on BC for a few weeks and then I think early-mid Nov would be the targeted transfer date. I still can't believe it's come to this point, but I am willing to do whatever it takes. I'm so glad to have someone who is in a similar place!!
  • @BaileyM321 I'm glad you were able to make a decision you're comfortable with! It is definitely always a relief to feel like you have a plan moving forward. This was my first cycle with femara after a couple with clomid and I had a good response! FX!!

@tallyally this is my first cycle with IUI, but when my RE and I talked about the long term plan he said he only thinks it's worth doing 3 cycles before talking about moving to IVF. Just really hoping we don't have to get to that discussion.

@Zooey1019 I think this it the first time I'm happy for someone's CD1! I'm sure waiting is going to be torture. Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @tripledaggerWed95976 Thanks for the advice! :smile: It is so appreciated and I am glad to have someone who has gone through this already to talk to!

@felix08 IVF buddy!  haha I hope today is CD 1 for you as well, I was literally happy to have cramps...wow how times have changed. Let me know what protocol etc the RE gives you, I am interested. One thing I am sad/happy about is that my clinic closes down the embryo lab for half of December and my RE doesn't want to do a fresh transfer on me because of my AMH (a little on the high side). I completely agree, and am happy to give my body time to rest and get ready, but it is hard to wait! I am trying to look at the holidays as my baby bachelorette...so my FET would be in January. 
    TTC #1 - December 2015
    ER - 11 retrieved- 9 mature - 7 fertilized - 3 sent for PGS on day 5 - No normals (1 XXX Embryo - may use in future)
    FET #1 - 5/16/17 - BFP! - Beta #1 5/25 - 156 - Beta #2 5/30 - 2562 - Beta #3 6/1 - 5191!

• @mrsdaddario that is great news!!! :smile: I am sure you are excited about your response :smile:

TTC #1 - December 2015

• BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• @zoey1019 Ha, I know! So strange that now we are just hoping for AF... I will let you know as soon as I do. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions for you. And dang! I was hoping we would be transferring at the same time. But I like your idea for a "baby bachelorette," ha! I do feel like such a weight has been lifted--this is probably counter-intuitive, but now I feel like I don't have to worry so much about everything I'm eating/doing. I also want to plan some fun getaways/activities before the potential transfer date. It's hard to explain, but it's really nice not to have to worry about my natural cycle and to know that the clinic will basically be taking over.

@mrsdaddario so glad you got good news this morning!!
  • @felix08 I know! I would much prefer to go through transfer with someone too! Who knows, maybe we can get in under the deadline! I am sure I will know by retrieval time if the cycle will line up or not.
    I am the same way. I didn't even temp this month and it was amazing, I started taking all my antihistamines again, because screw CM, I don't even care. We are going to have a staycation here in St. Pete for our 3rd wedding anniversary the first weekend in November and holidays are coming up, so I feel a big relief to not have to track things myself and plan sex. I am just ready for a change. 
    TTC #1 - December 2015

• @britters314 yay for HSG!! I know its scary, but I've had two of them and both times it was only mildly uncomfortable.  Its a very quick procedure too
  • @mrsdaddario so happy for your good news.  Good luck tomorrow!

In regard to the IUI to IVF conversation.  We are planning to do IUI #1 this cycle and do two more if we have to.  After that we will go straight to IVF.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @YesOuiCan  I was talking to H about sidewalk etiquette the other day while we were walking down the sidewalk and right after our conversation the lady in front of us suddenly stopped and stood in the middle of the sidewalk. There's no way she heard us because we were pretty far behind when we were discussing it, but it made us both extra mad.
  • @britters314 Ha! That's so funny/annoying. :smile: By the way, yay for scheduling your HSG! I know how nerve-wracking that is.
  • @mrsdee15 yes, it is marvelous to feel in control again. That would be great if we were going through it at the same time! RE's office just called in my prescription for BC (never thought I'd be going on it again) and we're going Friday afternoon to talk through the schedule.
  • @mrsdee15 Thanks. I am hoping I get some good news or something. Not sure what to expect
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Thank you for your responses, @mrsdee15 @mrsdaddario @clairCF @Zoey1019 !  We're OOP for all treatment, and I really appreciate your insight. 
    Me: 32
    DH: 34
    TTC #1 since March 2015
    BFP after IVF March 2017
  • @YesOuiCan So glad you found us! So for oral stim cycles, I was always able to get the Letrozole OTC at RiteAid. So no waiting for that. The mail order, from the pharmacy my insurance makes me go through, can overnight medications. But I usually called at the start of a new cycle before I needed it. First, if I owed money on the medications I wanted them to call and tell me, instead of just giving them a credit card to charge. That always took an extra day. Also, hcg triggers are considered a "controlled substances". So I had to be home to sign for it. If it was coming from my same state it wouldn't matter but because it was coming from a different state I needed to be home to receive it. Which was a huge pain in the ass. 

For injectables I ended up ordering them a cycle before I needed them (though I thought I needed them for that cycle). So I had them on hand when I started the cycle. I also needed to sign for that box! 

IMO it's best to have them on hand, instead of scrambling to get them. 
  • @ClaireCF I'm so glad it went well for you.  FX!  I am anxiously awaiting a positive opk so we can schedule an IUI.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @ClaireCF @mrsdaddario FX for you guys during the TWW!!
  • @ClaireCF and @mrsdaddario Fx for your IUIs!
    DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Does anyone have any experience with progesterone oil? In conjunction with the suppositories, on Sunday I will start the progesterone oil. It's once a day, I'm going to try to have MH do it before bed. I am really nervous because it goes straight into the muscle and the needle is freaking humongous. I have tattoos, piercings, I've given myself shots everyday for years for multiple sclerosis. Never have I ever come across a needle this gigantic, and I'm really nervous. The nurse told me a few tricks, heating pad after the injections, have MH stick it in super fast like a dart. But again, I'm really worried. Anyone been through that?!
  • @mrsdaddario and @persnickity, thank you so much for the intel on ordering meds! Lots of super helpful info. Exciting that you are starting treatment next cycle, persnickity!

@ClaireCF and @mrsdaddario - I'm glad both of your IUIs were successful this morning (if uncomfortable -- ugh! My nurse had trouble getting to my cervix today, too; the struggle of the tilted cervix is real). My fingers are crossed for both of you this cycle. I'm sorry to hear about the terribly large needle for progesterone oil, MrsD. I am a complete needle wuss so am truly impressed at your ability to handle giving yourself daily shots. This one sounds extra scary, but it sounds like you will be able to handle it well given your experience!

I have a good update from my HSG today -- my tubes are clear! I was so happy I was fighting back tears when she told me / showed me the dye spilling out both tubes. I was also shocked and delighted to have no pain or cramping. Don't get me wrong, it was uncomfortable, but I thought it was going to be awful since my SHG was quite painful. 
  • Update: I got my bloodwork back! Prolactin was high so my doctor wants me to retest that under more specific conditions. TSH was high so I have to get my T3 and T4 tested ASAP. They sounded really urgent, wanting me to come in today if I could. I can't get over there until Monday, though, so I'll be doing it then. So much testing next week for me! 
  • @YesOuiCan woo clear tubes!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @britters314 Gosh, big week for you next week! Get your game face on. :smile: I hope your follow-up tests for Prolactin, T3 and T4 bring clarity and will help your RE come up with the perfect plan for you. 
  • @YesOuiCan Yay!!!!! So glad to hear everything is clear!! That has to feel like a big weight has been lifted.

@mrsdaddario Yikes! I'm terrified of needles and I'd be freaking out. I have found that yoga breathing before getting a shot helps. I have to get bi-weekly shots for a chronic condition.