January 2017 Moms

GD Check-In 9/26

Still not many of us so not going to put questions in here. Just a place to come if you receive your diagnosis and need some support or help or a place to vent. Feel free to share how your numbers are and ask questions. If we end up with more people I'll start adding some check-in questions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: GD Check-In 9/26

• My numbers have been good this week. No spikes for over a week which I'm thrilled about because the first week my fasting numbers were high and I was worried about needing to go on insulin before bed. So far things are good. I have an appointment with my internist who is monitoring the GD tomorrow and hoping she feels as good about my numbers as I do. I also have figured out how to fit in some of my favorites, ice cream and recess peanut butter pumpkins. One pumpkin is one carb choice so I just have to plan for that on a snack occasionally. And, while 1/2 a cup of ice cream doesn't seem like much it's actually more than I thought. And, I could really have 1 cup of most kinds for 2 carb choices so that's not bad at all. I also found some cookies at target that are really good to help curb my sweet tooth and not make me feel so restricted.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I still have no plan or clue what I'm doing lol, just waiting for my class on Thursday! Just trying to eat more protein in the meantime but I was pretty sick again 3 different days last week/ weekend and couldn't keep much down. Probably failed any sort of GD diet miserably oops...
  • Loading the player...
  • Not sure how you do with PB but that's my go to in the morning for protein. Good luck at your class, is that when you get your meter? I figure if they aren't in any hurry to get you going with stuff, then you do what you can in the mean time. Once you get going, they should at least be able to help you come up with alternatives. With my first (who I did not have GD with) I couldn't look at meat on a plate, the thought of eating it disgusted me. So I relied on my protein being mixed in to things. The burrito bowls from Panchero's where the meat is shredded and it has some beans, those didn't bother me. Casserole's where meat is mixed with other things were fine. I just could not stomach a piece of chicken or steak sitting on my plate. I also relied a little on protein shakes and bars just to make sure I got some protein mixed in. Now I have to be careful about the carb count in those but it's a quick go to snack.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Ooook, had the longest class ever last night, got my "meal plan" dietary goals and monitor and all of that. I'm not changing anything eating-wise until tomorrow or Sunday when I have time to sit down and really plan it out, but I'm super confused how I can have GD but also awesome numbers. Last night before dinner but after potato chips on the way to the class my number was 90. Then I stuffed my face (figuratively since I literally can't overeat right now) and went to bed. Fasting number was 84. Breakfast was 3.5 carbs (instant oatmeal, kind of sugary) and 2 hours later I'm at 86..... uhhhhh..... 

Also I went in fully expecting to be given a low carb/ high protein diet but compared to what I currently eat (which is admittedly not much because I'm still fairly sick) my diet plan is practically unreachable. Sooooo many more calories and carbs AND protein than I was prepared for. I'm going to have to drink full fat milk/ Greek yogurt/ protein shakes every day  ;)
  • I really felt like the amount of carbs was a lot more than I was used to. Not sure what your plan is, mine is 2 carb choices at breakfast and snacks, and then 3-4 carb choices at lunch and dinner (I stick to 3). At dinner I typically have 1 as a starch and then 1 fruit and a cup of milk to round it out. Snacks are by far the hardest but a lot of times I'll just have a medium size piece of fruit which counts as 2 carbs. I'm not paying as much attention to everything else, more just  making sure to incorporate some more veggies and protein in my meals. I try to have some sort of protein at every meal and snack (PB, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, protein bars, nuts, cheese). But I don't count that (unless it's also a carb like the greek yogurt or high in fat like the PB) because I figure I'm counting enough with the carbs.

I have lost 7 lbs since I started. I was overweight when I got pregnant so they aren't worried at this point but I imagine if I continue to lose I will have to start counting my calories but I feel like I'm eating so much. Based on my BMI and a singleton pregnancy I'm supposed to have a minimum of 1800 calories, no idea if I'm hitting that or not.

Did you get your numbers from your glucose test? What were those? If you find that all your numbers are good regardless of what you eat then I would definitely ask your doctor. If they still insist you have it, and your numbers are still good, then at least you know you have some flexibility and won't have to be put on meds.

Pregnancy Ticker

• TinaBelcherTinaBelcher member
    edited September 2016
    Yeah my 3 hour numbers were really strange- 70-something fasting, 184, then 182 (really??), then 130. The one hour was 141- cut off is 139. (Also my post lunch number was just 85)

My plan is super similar- 3 carbs at breakfast, 2 at snack (3 snacks per day), 3-4 at lunch and dinner. 2300 calories a day! (because it's twins) I'm not gaining as much as I should so it makes sense but omg it's so much food/ calories. It took me an hour just to eat some chicken ramen and a Greek yogurt for lunch, I'm due for a snack any time now but I can't stuff any food in me yet! 

I like to meal plan, I've done similar types of plans (with very different nutritional goals) for my running in the past so I'm looking forward to this weekend and figuring it out, I'm just really confused why I haven't changed anything but my numbers are perfect, and I wonder if the lab screwed up somehow.... ::shrug::
  • My 3 hour numbers were odd. I was right at 95 fasting, then 155, then 172 (seriously why would it go up), and then the last one was well below the number it was supposed to be (I can't remember what it was). After failing my fasting number I felt doomed, how was I going to pass 3 more. Then when the second number came back good I was like ok, good, I only have to drop a little bit more to be good for my 3rd so I should be all set...when the 3rd one came back really high I was devastated. It didn't make any sense to me. I'm a little surprised they don't have my checking my blood sugar at 2 hours given that test but so far my numbers are good.

One thing my internist told me, more as a way to make changes if having problems with numbers but may work in your situation, is to do 2 of my carb choices at lunch, check my blood sugar an hour later and have my 3rd carb choice from lunch at that point. Then eat my snack about an hour and a half later. Basically, eating 1-2 carbs every 1-2 hours instead of eating every 2-3 hours. I haven't had any problems with my numbers so I haven't tried it but perhaps something like that would be an option if you just can shove any more food in. 2300 calories on a well balanced diet would be tough.

Enjoy your meal planning!!

Pregnancy Ticker