February 2017 Moms

Symptoms Thread 9/25/16

Re: Symptoms Thread 9/25/16

• @lfrank12 I've definitely noticed my anxiety is worse since becoming pregnant. My triggers seem to remain mostly the same it's just my anxiety is more severe when I feel it. For example I always get anxious when in traffic or when driving in a new place but 2 weekends ago when I had to deal with both it was so much worse then it's ever been and thank goodness DH was there with me to help calm me down and take over the driving. I think a lot of dealing with anxiety is learning what triggers it and then working on finding ways to calm yourself down when in those situations or avoiding them if possible. It takes practice when you aren't having an attack though which I'm not the best at keeping up with. 

I think it's smart to talk to your midwife about it. You can be open and say that you'd like to avoid medication and maybe she can recommend some methods or recommend someone else you can talk to who can worth with you on methods for getting your breathing under control. In my experience while a lot of doctors are happy to prescribe meds a lot are also happy if you want to try and pursue non-med methods to help you.
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• I honestly don't know if it's pregnancy related or not, but I feel so sick today. My stomach is in knots, I'm all shaky and feel like I'm going to hurl every time I move or open my mouth to say something. I've had a relatively symptom free pregnancy thus far, so this is kind of throwing me. It seems super random, maybe I'm just sick? Either way, timing really sucks because I'm the only one working the office this week, so I HAVE to be at work, no sick day for me....it's going to be a rough day.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @lfrank12, do you think it would help to have a counselor or therapist to talk to? I'm very happy to be seeing a new one on Friday because I had to discontinue the meds I was on for anxiety/depression prior to pregnancy. It really helps me to have someone to talk to. Are you worried they will pressure you into taking meds? A good one won't do that, but I completely understand where you're coming from if that's how you feel. I know it's scary too having asthma and then panicking when you can't breathe just makes the anxiety even worse. I hope you feel calmer soon and your anxiety eases up for you. 

@jlellis603, I'm sorry you're so uncomfortable with that, that sucks! I'm sure you might have already tried this, but have you tried drastically increasing your fiber intake? Also have you tried either colace or miralax? My OB said these 2 were okay for constipation.

@scifichick09, I hope the day and the week flies by for you and you feel better soon!
  • @Jab3 thanks! Yeah, it's wicked sucky. I've tried increasing my fiber that hasn't helped much. Oh I didn't know Miralax was approved, I might have to look into getting some. I had never heard of Colace before but seen some posts of women swearing by it. What is it?
  • @Jab3 thanks! Yeah, it's wicked sucky. I've tried increasing my fiber that hasn't helped much. Oh I didn't know Miralax was approved, I might have to look into getting some. I had never heard of Colace before but seen some posts of women swearing by it. What is it?
    Colace is a stool softener that kind of works as a laxative, it's pretty mild.
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know some doctors have different opinions but those were the 2 mine listed as being okay to take. I honestly don't know much about the Colace because talk about TMI but I tend to have the opposite problem than you lol I know you mentioned before the office you were being seen it kinda sucked on answering questions you have, but maybe you could try checking with a pharmacist about the Colace or the miralax too and getting their opinion if you want to try and go pick up one (or both!) of them to try. I hope you get some relief soon from that!
  • @marriedhamstermom I definitely need to figure out my triggers better. I know most of them, but some days I can't pinpoint the root of the issue.

@Jab3 I'm going to think about the counselor thing. I think I just need to really talk to someone about it because it's not something I usually share with people. Several of my cousins have anxiety but have chosen to go the medication route instead and I know they would urge me to do the same.
  • @WinchesterGirl the SIL with 6 kids has mentioned she's sometimes able to pick up the baby's heartbeat with just her work stethoscope. She has an extra one and will bring it for me Thursday so I can try it out without spending any money. I'm sure once the kicks start coming, I won't need it anymore so I'm trying to avoid spending that cash and save it for something fun for the baby.
  • @jlellis603 I've had horrible issues with constipation this pregnancy! :(
    My doctor is ok with me taking colace twice a day, every day, for a stool softener. But said to save the Miralax, a stimulant laxative, for only occasional use. They said using Miralax too much would cause me to get dependent on it, I think?
    Anyhow, kiwis, dried apricots, pea pods, celery, citrus fruit, etc have helped some. Avoiding white bread and pizza seem to help too. :(
  • @FreshBakedBrownies nooooo not pizza :'(. Ugh I'm sorry you're dealing with this too because it is so uncomfortable. I hope it starts to get better! I'll pick up the Colace today and see if that helps :). Hm I didn't know all those specific fruits helped with that issue.

• I've been sooo exhausted! Probably from getting up 2-3 times in the middle of the night to pee. Also, my whole body just aches! Back, feet, belly, head. This is my third, and my most symptomatic, pregnancy.
  • All I can add is that I still have morning sickness. Just a few more weeks if this goes like it did with DD ::fingers crossed::
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @lfrank12 I self-diagnosed with anxiety a long time ago and finally was actually diagnosed this past year, but before TTC I decided to come off medications because they're not good for baby growth! Have you discussed your anxiety with your S/O at all? I found that once I was able to start articulating my anxiety with DH, it actually made things a lot better. Being able to tell him I could feel my anxiety building, what I was anxious about (if I even knew) and just spewing my random thoughts out. Being an extroverted thinker, often times just verbalizing my thoughts and feelings was what I needed to help me clear the path of fuzziness and calm myself down.

There are many self-help strategies for calming anxiety, and I don't believe any two people are the exact same. Some things to try: when you're feeling anxious you can write down what has happened up until that point or what you're thinking about, take a warm shower (often times just curling up on the floor in the tub and letting the shower run over your back), journaling, counting down from 100, talking to someone, making a stress ball, having a 'focus word' or mantra that you recite when you're anxious, reading a poem or looking at a stress relieving photo, self imagery (the beach? the ocean? the mountains?), organizing your room, cleaning the kitchen, something arts and craftsy, or working out. It most definitely helps to determine what you're triggers are so you can prevent or articulate them!

Personally, I've found that yoga works amazing well because I'm really not that good at it, so it makes my mind completely focus on my balance and getting into a calming posture that my brain essentially shuts off from all over thoughts and feelings. Also, if you pretend there is a candle in front of you and rapidly breathe/blow pretending you're trying to blow out the candle for 10 breaths and then deep breathe for 3-5 breaths and alternate between the two for a couple rounds, it can calm people down mid anxiety attack until you're able to verbalize your feelings. I often used this with my students. 

https://psychcentral.com/lib/top-10-lesser-known-self-help-strategies-for-anxiety/
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lfrank12 I can help! I've worked with a lot of women who experience anxiety during pregnancy and so much of it was centered around avoiding triggers (caffiene, watching a particular show on tv, reading something kind of scary on the Internet, the list goes on) or anything that might set off hormones (sad movies, fighting with H, stress over life activities). I've found that if you don't want to treat with medication, and I know this will sound lame and cheesy, but adult coloring books are wonderful ways to get the mind away from the attack and focus you in on something distracting while the attack runs its course. Also, guided meditation while falling asleep helps tremendously! You can find a video on YouTube and just let it play on your phone as you go to sleep because your sleeping conscience will still engage with the meditation. It'll help you rest better, as well as help you maintain your anxiety throughout the day. Try not to drink or eat anything sugary before bedtime because it stimulates the mind to process more than it should when you should be winding down instead. I hope that helps! 
    @TeacherMom2517 had some awesome suggestions too. I hope you find relief soon!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Also, as a side note, I've noticed counsellors aren't as quick to prescribe as psychiatrists are. Anyone with a Ph.D. Is more likely to err on the side of medication (not to say all psychiatrists do, but many of the ones I've experienced do) so get someone who doesn't have "Dr" in front of their name if you're going to seek counseling. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you so much @TeacherMom2517 and @LivingLaVidaGinger! I'm definitely going to try out some of your suggestions! I usually get my worst anxiety while driving to work which complicates some of those methods but maybe if I can de-stress more at other times I can decrease the car attacks? I may even color in my adult coloring book tonight :)
  • @LivingLaVidaGinger  COLORING BOOKS.....I've been using these since forever.  My friends used to always make fun of me.  But now, now look. Everyone's doing it.  I'm very happy, because now they've started making coloring books specifically for adults.  I was able to throw out my Disney Princess books. Lol. For realz though, I've been coloring since before it was cool.  :sunglasses:

P.S. And it does help with depression/anxiety.  I just didn't know that was the reason I liked it so much.  

• RE: Colace - does anyone know if the Rite Aid brand is okay to take? I assume it's the same but it's half the price soooo.
  • RE: Colace - does anyone know if the Rite Aid brand is okay to take? I assume it's the same but it's half the price soooo.
    Check the active ingredients and make sure they match.  If you still have doubts, ask the pharmacist.
    I use generic all the time but have not tried cola cell generic, though.  

• Fuck fuck fuck my ankles swollen. Fuck. Please just be a freak occurrence and not pre-e. 

• mamajama3mamajama3 member
    edited September 2016
    @Patience7150 I definitely understand where you're coming from.  I suffer from depression and I am not medicated at the moment.  I had a rough week last week and the week before and decided to go to my parents' house last weekend and my mom surprised me and treated me to a massage (really awesome of her)- this helped a lot.  Is there a way you can plan a day or weekend with a friend or family that you really enjoy?  Maybe treat yourself to a relaxing massage too if you can.  If you need to talk I'm definitely here.  I hope it gets better for you mama!

@lfrank12 the nighttime hip pain is real!  I'm doing the left-right right-left body flip all night long and my Snoogle isn't helping me with my hip pain either.  I'm so sorry you are going through this too!
  • @jlellis603 I've been using the generic target Colace, since the active ingredients were the same.
  • @PerraSucia - Were you on your feet a lot?  Wearing different shoes than normal?  I've noticed that when I wear ballet flats, as opposed to things with more cushion, or spend a lot of time standing, my feet swell up ridiculously by nighttime.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MLRocha no not at all. I have total ptsd about this am now looking at every symptom I could possibly have as a sign. I'm sure they will have me do a 24 hour urine catch at my appt Friday. Its so early for this shit :(
  • @PerraSucia Doesn't hurt to call your doctor if you're worried! Do you have a blood pressure cuff at home? If not, maybe go to a pharmacy and use their BP machine to check where you're at... It'll probably give you peace of mind, and it's easy to check your BP regularly. My sister recently had pre-e (pretty bad case of it), so I'm super paranoid. I have a BP cuff at home, I check mine regularly. It makes me feel better.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @perrasucia I hope everything's okay. 

I dont know whether to put this in symptoms or fitness. I'm trying to get a workout in everyday but my sciatica is preventing me so hard. I've been doing stroller walks but my back hurts the entire time I'm walking. Today I got home and sat on the floor which apparently was a mistake because I couldn't get up. I sat there for ten minutes trying to figure out which way I could move in order to get unstuck without searing pain. 
  • @madamerwin I have an appt friday morning anyway, so I'm holding out and trying to stay relaxed, but maybe this is a good excuse to go to target.

Thanks @homemake <3
  • Good thoughts your way @PerraSucia

• @homemake I've been struggling with sciatica pain too, primarily down my left side. There are tons of stretches you can google online and one of my favorites from yoga class is Pigeon pose. It can be awkward to get in and out of with the bump, but once you can get into it, just breathe into your level of comfort with it! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This might be TMI, but I just went to the bathroom (#2) and when I looked in the toilet there was dark red blood and blood when I wiped.  I assume the blood is from my B-hole and not my V-hole, but at what point do I call the doctor?
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MrsDramaK - You should give a call now if you can, better to call and ask. I always am over cautious being a FTM so I ask the Dr about everything

• @MrsDramaK, that happened to me the other night too. I know this is gross, but I was able to tell it was from the B-hole by holding toilet paper up to that area separately after I had done the same thing to the v-hole and saw that's not where it was coming from. I would call your doc if there's a lot of blood or anything's hurting you though just to play it safe. I didn't call mine only because it was very minimal like only a few drops. I hope you're okay!
  • @MrsDramaK - and maybe put on a panty liner just to check or wipe both areas to rule out where it is coming from, and still call the Dr either way? Sorry if TMI suggestions lol

• @MrsDramaK this is happened to me twice now. The first time there was quite a bit of blood, both on the tp and some drips in the toilet. The second was much less, like just some spots on the tissue paper. Mine was just constipation related. Since I've been more careful to make sure I get enough fiber and water, I haven't had the problem. And I was positive it was from the anal region.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

• Thank you everyone for your advice.  I did definitely have a firm poo and when I wiped the V but not the B didn't notice any blood, so I put a liner in and if I notice blood next time I go Pee I guess I'll call to be safe.
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MrsDramaK do you know if you have hemorrhoids? 

• @MrsDramaK if you put your finger in your vag it will be pretty obvious if that's where the blood is coming from immediately. 
  • Ah the joys of hemorrhoids. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I almost consistently have blood in the toilet after I poop. 
    The first time I freaked out, washed my hands and stuck a finger up my cooch= no blood. 
    I dabbed my butt with tp and voila, there's the source. 
  • madamerwinmadamerwin member
    edited September 2016
    With the blood... If it's bright red, my guess is hemorrhoids (and you're bleeding somewhere very close to the outside). If it's very dark red/blackish, there may be something else going on in your intestinal tract. I'm of the opinion that's it always best to call your doc when in doubt to be safe.
    BabyFruit Ticker