Infertility

Success after first IVF cycle failed

Hi! I am trying to connect with other couples that might been going thru the same struggles my wife and I are going through or have SUCCESS with IVF cycles!! A little about us we are same sex married couple. I am 38 with low AMH .77 and my wife is 35 with excellent 3 day labs. We started with me since I am older to give a couple IUIs a chance you never know! They didn't take so we knew we didn't want to waste too much time so we went for our IVF consult. We decided to use my wife's eggs and I carry to maximize our chance for success. My wife started BCP and went in for her ultrasound and there was a cyst. We had to stop because it was an active cyst and continued to get larger. two cycles later it was still there and she had to get it drained. After her next cycle we were able to begin with the Antagonist protocol no BCP this time! She did great, well besides the hormone side effects but she did end up hyperstimulating. 32 eggs, 27 mature, 10 frozen for later use. 17 ICSI and 14 fertilized. Day 3 all 14 growing and by day 6 we had 5. We were never told quality or grading but we were doing PGS testing for genetics. Got our results back all abnormal!!! How does that happen right?! Everthing was great, she did great. Well met with our RE and she said either the dreaded bad luck, hyperstim, or donor sperm(least likely) was the cause. The genetics were all random no trend so she doesn't think it's genetically driven. She thinks we could still have a couple good ones in those 10 but she did say that when hyperstimulation happens that it can damage egg quality. My feel in my gut that the hyperstim was the cause. I would think we would have seen something wrong if it was quality right? So she says she feels really good for us and doesn't like the idea of donor egg she doesn't feel that we are out of options. I just feel so scared. We have financially pit overly thing into this, everyone we know is getting pregnant and we feel so lost. It's such an isolating journey that unless you go thru it can you truly understand the pain. I was just looking to connect with some gals going through this journey too that might have positive feedback, experiences, or just understand what we are going through! Thanks everyone!!

Amanda

Re: Success after first IVF cycle failed

• Hi Amanda,
    Welcome, but so sorry you and your wife have to go through this difficult journey! I'm going to start my first IVF cycle soon. My husband and I have both been tested and diagnosed as "unexplained." We tried IUIs but that didn't work, so really hoping IVF will be the answer for us, but there's still so much uncertainty as you know. That is so disheartening that all the embryos came back abnormal. I'm glad your dr. is optimistic about your chances going forward, although the money side of things certainly makes things difficult. I really hope you get success from one of the frozen eggs!!! Best of luck to you both!
    Me: 30 DH: 33
    Married June 2012
    TTC #1 since Oct 2014
    Dx: unexplained infertility (+ treated for hypothyroidism)
    March 2016: IUI#1 w/ Clomid, Ovidrel, Progesterone, Estradiol - BFN
    April-May 2016: treatment on hold due to bad thyroid levels, adjusted meds
    June 2016: IUI#2 w/ Clomid, Ovidrel, Progesterone, Estradiol - BFN
    July 2016: on hold again due to thyroid
    July 13th: IVF consult
    August 2016: IUI#3 w/ Femara, Ovidrel, Progresterone - BFN
    Sept/Oct 2016: IVF + ICSI

• Welcome and I'm so sorry you find yourself in this position after your PGS testing.  I guess it's optimistic that your doctor thinks it was a fluke?  Hopefully that won't happen again.  I understand your emotional pain, after spending so much on this we want to see results!!!  I also know how it feels when everyone you know is pregnant, because that's me too!  IUIs also didn't work for us and we are now in our TWW from our first frozen embryo transfer.  I know if it doesn't work I will be completely devastated.

Hang in there!!  I hope the next cycle yields better results.
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20