April 2016 Moms

"I hate Facebook" Vent

Ugh Fb! I really hate it these days, and I would delete it but its the only way I keep in touch with certain family/friends. I hate the lack of privacy now. I hate that any photo/post/article/page/etc that my friends like/comment on shows up in my newsfeed. And vice versa! I refrain from liking or commenting on articles now because I dont want it showing up in my fb friends newsfeeds. To me that is a privacy issue. I also hate the tagging feature. My mom uploads pics of me, which is fine, but fb thinks Im my cousin so it automatically tags her. She has over 1200 fb friends, so all of those people can see these pictures of me and LO. I have a little over 100 friends and its mostly family. The worst part is even if I delete my account,  people can still put pictures of me up and I'll never know and I cant control it. Facebook used to have good privacy features, but it just keeps getting worse and worse. Gah! 

Re: "I hate Facebook" Vent

• I was a Facebook virgin up until 3 years ago. I reluctantly opened an account, with a fake name so I'm unsearchable, to keep in touch with friends and family. I was moving around so much and I was lousy at keeping up with email updates. And yes, I also hate that I can see things that people have liked or commented on - why is this necessary?! I also hate tagging and I have it set up so nobody can tag me unless I approve. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I deleted mine. I drifted from a lot of friends. Simply because they would rather Facebook then pick up a phone call. Life is better without it honestly, at least for me. I talk to my grandparents that live in florida (I'm in idaho) more often now then I did with facebook. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have Facebook. I never have and probably never will. I don't have time for it and honestly don't see the point in it. I still keep in touch with out of town friends and family just fine.
  • I think I had Facebook for a total of 5 minutes when I was in my first year of university. I can't stand it to be honest lol. My husband doesn't have it either and we are both glad that we don't. I would rather spend quality time with my little family then wasting hours looking at other people and their lives. I also think people tend to post all of these wonderful pictures to make their lives look "perfect" to others when in reality, it might not be like that at all. This is totally my own opinion and I know there are others who probably totally disagree lol.
  • I think I had Facebook for a total of 5 minutes when I was in my first year of university. I can't stand it to be honest lol. My husband doesn't have it either and we are both glad that we don't. I would rather spend quality time with my little family then wasting hours looking at other people and their lives. I also think people tend to post all of these wonderful pictures to make their lives look "perfect" to others when in reality, it might not be like that at all. This is totally my own opinion and I know there are others who probably totally disagree lol.
    I fully agree with you :smile:
  • I had Facebook for 9years 2005-2014. After about the umpteenth time of it causing my brother and I to "fight" do to some miscommunication (by "fight" I mean him giving me the silent treatment over something I apparently messed up on instead of communicating with me about it.) I deleted my account and haven't looked back. I will occasionally look at photos family members post of my son or the baby led weaning groups with my husbands account, but I never post or do much else.
  • @yodiggity  I like fb to be able to keep in touch with my friends and out of town family(including dh's out of town family). Our families appreciate me sharing pictures of LO, as most of the out of towners likely will never see LO in person.  However,  that doesnt mean I have to like the deterioration of privacy features. 
  • loveymay said:
    @yodiggity  I like fb to be able to keep in touch with my friends and out of town family(including dh's out of town family). Our families appreciate me sharing pictures of LO, as most of the out of towners likely will never see LO in person.  However,  that doesnt mean I have to like the deterioration of privacy features. 
    There are tons of privacy features that you can choose. For example, I have mine set so that if someone tags me in something, I have to approve it first. Or if someone posts on my timeline, I have to approve it before it will show up as well. You also can't find me via google search and if you do happen upon my page and we aren't friends, you can't see anything on my page or anything about me, with the exception of my profile picture and cover photo of course. 

I'm not trying to sell you on FB but I just don't understand why people get all 'high horsed' about not liking something that has such a simply solution.
  • @yodiggity I already have all privacy features that are available. What Im talking about is not a simple fix. If I like or comment on a picture/post/article, it can show up in all my friends newsfeeds. The same way that all the posts my friends like/comment on shows up in my newsfeed. There is no way to change that. I have it set up that all tags of me have to be approved first, but that doesnt stop other people putting pictures of me up, or facebook thinking Im my cousin and tagging her in pictures of me that someone else posted. So no, there is no simple solution. And complaining about privacy issues with facebook that I cant fix is not being "high horsed." 
  • I don't really think either opinion is high horsed." You either like Facebook or you don't and are free to say how you feel about it. This post was titled "I Hate Facebook Vent" so it makes sense that the people who don't like it or use it would chime in.