April 2017 Moms

So many questions after ER trip...

So yesterday I was having pretty sharp abdominal pains and shortness of breath. I haven't even been to my first ob appointment yet because I was only 5 weeks. So I call up the office and they send me to the ER to get checked out. They do an ultrasound (which they never let me see) and a bunch of blood work and other tests. The doctor finally comes back in and says everything seems good so far but that I am definitely further along than I thought as my hormone levels were around 260,000! Which makes sense because this pregnancy has already been the complete opposite of my first with extreme tiredness, sore boobs, and morning sickness. But she didn't know how far along yet because she didn't have the ultrasound back yet. She finally got that and said I was 9 weeks 3 days so that was a bit of a shock to me. She treated me for a uti and told me to take Tylenol for pain then sent me home. Now I have so many questions and my appointment isn't until next week. I am going to a different obgyn this time so I don't even know what to expect. Will they still do a dating ultrasound at the first appointment so I can actually see it? Have I missed any first trimester tests since I'm further than I thought? Is it bad that my levels were so high (because the nurse acted like she had never seen them so high before)? I just feel overwhelmed now and have way more questions than before I got checked out... 

Re: So many questions after ER trip...

• Sorry you had a scare and had to go to the ER. Hcg can vary so much but yours are within range. At 9wks my hcg was 51,000. Once baby is seen on u/s the hcg doesn't mean much. 
    As far as first tri tests, they will run a panel of routine bloodwork and you are still early enough to have the option of the nt scan if you choose.  
  • This makes me feel a lot better. I was worried because the nurse made it sound like she'd never seen levels that high and I don't know much about hcg levels. I was also wondering if it was twins because I'm already quite bloated and all the symptoms but being further along than I thought explains that. Lol
  • Loading the player...
  • babymama619babymama619 member
    edited September 2016
    You poor thing! Take a breath!! Totally awful. I can't believe they didn't let you see or hear the heartbeat.

my HCG levels were 27,000 at 6w2 and 76,000 at 7w3d, so yours is not crazy high. I'm definitely  expecting to be near your levels at 9w+. Maybe crazy nurse.

I bet your doc will still do a saying ultrasound. Even though I'm seeing an RE and getting weekly scans my OB is still going to do their own ultrasound for my 1st appt with the at 10w. FWIW the dating is likely accurate though b/c at this stage fetuses grow at predictable rates.  

most 1st tri tests like NT scan or MAT21 are given around 12-13 weeks, so you haven't missed any windows. you should probably get in to see your OB sooner than later though, lol.

• lol thank you so much I feel like I can breathe a little easier now! It was awful they didn't let me see or hear anything! 
  • You'll be fine, you haven't missed anything.  Typically you are seen 10-13 weeks for a first appointment unless there have been issues.  I won't have mine until 12 weeks (it's my 5th kid).   Yes they should do another ultra sound to check dates and you should be able to see it :)