February 2017 Moms

Monday B*fest 9/19

2»

Re: Monday B*fest 9/19

• My DS had strep at the beginning of this year and he turned 2yo in June. No one made it seem like it was all that rare. That's bizarre that they would just test him since you knew he was exposed. 
  • @ohstars Our entire childrens ER department said they do not even test for it in kids under 2 because they rarely have it and if they do they don't experience side effects from it? I had never heard of this until now myself. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @lap018 So glad to hear doing better! Viruses are the worst because you just have to wait and let them run their course. Sending T&P's to your little man.  

• @lap018 glad to hear hes doing ok!
  • @lap018 so glad he's going to be feeling better very soon! Strep throat in children younger than three is pretty uncommon, but it can occur. I think it's good they are testing your son for it. Would you mind sharing the results? I would be interested in knowing for my own curiosity.
  • @lap018 I'm just getting caught up on the threads, but I hope your little guy is feeling better, and at the least the temperature is staying under control. It's pretty frustrating when you tell the Dr's something and they won't even consider it, but hopefully whatever he has passes quickly! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lap018 that's scary but I'm glad your kiddo is getting the tests he needs. Sending positive thoughts to you and your baby!
  • blush64blush64 member
    edited September 2016
    @lap018 Sort I am late but I hope your little one is feeling better soon.

Edit I am a day late but @PerraSucia  
    Your co-worker sounds awful, it sucks they would act that way. That can create such an uncomfortable work situation even if you don't care too much about them. I hope they have a miserable time. 

• @lap018 So happy to hear the little guy is feeling better!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Awww, prayers that it all resolves very soon! It's so tough when they are sick. Hang in there mama!
  • @lap018 poor buddy still has a fever :( I'm sure you've probably already been advised or know this info but when my DD was 2 she had a terrible fever like that and at the hospital they suggested alternating tylenol, and ibuprofen. Not sure if you tried ibuprofen but for some reason that's what took my DDs fever down, tylenol never touches it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lap018lap018 member
    edited September 2016
    @kswiger06 yes I had heard that used to be common practice but my doctor doesn't recommend it, I haven't asked him why it's not as commonly done anymore, but I'll have to see what he says tomorrow when he calls me to check on baby boy and I'll let you know what he says! 

Edited to add the Tylenol is bringing it down but it hasn't gone away,  it just keeps hanging around and that concerns them. His body should have been able to (by Thursday) beat this infection meaning he shouldn't still be having fevers that need meds to bring them down every 4 hours 
  • @lap018 oh, sorry I had heard that yet, but the situation with my daughter was 5 years ago, so I'm sure they've changed things. I just hope he feels better soon! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kswiger06 please don't apologize I feel like recommendations change daily with littles, and a lot of MD still do alternate Tylenol with ibuprofen but for some reason mine says not to do it, I have no idea why though so I will ask and get back with you 
  • @lap018 It is true that kids his age rarely get strep.  However with an exposure it absolutely can happen and has happened in my house.  With a known exposure I usually go ahead and test just to be sure.  Most likely this is viral and if not having any other symptoms it could be Roseola.  Classic childhood illness with high fevers and no real other symptoms.  Fever breaks and then they break out in a rash.  And I honestly don't have a fever threshold for has to be seen urgently- normal kids won't get a temp high enough to cause brain damage(assuming just from an illness and not outside heat source).   I go based on how the kid is acting.  Hope today is better! And sorry for the late reply

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @lap018 ok, and thanks, I'm kind of curious myself why it's no longer recommended. At first I was terrified of giving too much medication and we told oh no its fine and now it's the opposite lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @scottipino thank you! The ER doc we saw said a lot of the same things, that it was likely viral and that she doesn't really say a certain number for bringing them in but based on how they're acting, but the nurse call line told me to bring him in at 105 so I did lol! And we had a strep done today, rapid was negative but they're growing out cultures to make sure 
  • @lap018, I am just catching up.   I hope your little guy feels better today!   
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @lap018 I'm sorry you still don't have an answer. I hope he feels better soon!

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

• How is he doing today @lap018
  • @lap018 I hope your son is feeling much better and got rid of his fever. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lap018 thinking of you guys and sending good thoughts! <3
  • Thinking of you @lap018...Hope he's continuing to get better!
  • Glad he's back to normal now @lap018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yay! @lap018 so glad he's feeling better!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Great news that your son is on the mend @lap018
  • Yeeesh I managed to miss all of this until now. @lap018 I'm so glad he's doing better!