January 2017 Moms
Options

Ask a STM+ Week of 9/19

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 9/19

• Options
    Did you find yourself getting more emotional/moody towards the end of the 2nd tri? 1st and 2nd tri I remember thinking to myself that mood swings and emotional roller coaster-ness must've been a myth... but now one moment I'm fine and then the littlest things make me want to cry or scream or be overwhelmingly excited for baby or freaked out and wanting time to slow down and really just all of the feels. I can't tell if it's hormones or my life is just out of sorts because with our home renovation my life is kind of out of sorts. (just wanted to add--i am so excited and grateful we're able to do our home renovation--so I'm not complaining, it's just hard not having a kitchen and a mess everywhere!!)
  • Options
    @newyearsbaby5 I go in waves. 1st trimester wasn't hugely moody for either pregnancy but 2nd trimester this time around is definitely more so. We too are working on some home reno's and have had a lot going on and I think that plays a big part. If I'm not getting decent sleep and on the go all the time I'm definitely more emotional. When I eat well, get a good nights sleep, I tend to be able to roll with things a little better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @newyearsbaby5 yes. It coincides with nesting for me. Meltdowns about things not being ready. Meltdowns about not having an only child anymore. Etc. 
  • Options
    This is easily becoming my favorite board. Thank you ladies so much for your guidance!

1) Did you take a birthing class or any preparation class for the baby? If yes, how far in advance did you take it?

2) If you breastfed, did you meet with a lactation consultant prior to birth? I have a more complicated situation given a past surgery, but I'm just curious what else they might cover in a meeting. 
  • Options
    Seriously I was super pissed all the time first tri then it kinda mellowed out. Till last Saturday I had things planned and it all for switched around ds woke up from a nap after 20 min and I was needless to say a mess, luckily LO had and super happy pleasant day and went to bed super easy which was a saving grace for this grumpy momma bear. My DH set it all off by saying well let's just not go (our plans) I was so mad like I spend all day home I have plans made I just don't want to not do them and do more of what I do every day no thanks. 
  • Options
    KAShock said:
    @ThePax89 EVERYTIME I think about the last time I'll hold my DD as an only child I cry. WVERY. TIME. ( so now). 
    Yesssss! I start sobbing uncontrollably 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This is easily becoming my favorite board. Thank you ladies so much for your guidance!

1) Did you take a birthing class or any preparation class for the baby? If yes, how far in advance did you take it?

I took a class with my first and we ended up taking it only 2 weeks before I had him because that was the only time DH and I both had available.  We had to take a 1 day class so it was a lot of information crammed into 7 hours.  Depending on what class you take, you may want to take it sooner rather than later if you plan on having a natural birth, etc.

2) If you breastfed, did you meet with a lactation consultant prior to birth? I have a more complicated situation given a past surgery, but I'm just curious what else they might cover in a meeting.  

I didn't meet with a lactation consultant before any of my babies were born, but I definitely would if I felt it would be helpful or that I would have a complicated situation.  

BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Options

Yes, probably around 34ish weeks? Mine was only a 2-3 hour class.

I took a breast feeding class that was taught by an LC. It was so beneficial that I'm taking it again this time as a refresher. An LC also comes to your room after you give birth at my hospital to help with first time latching and such. Then they set you up an appointment to come see them 4 days PP to do a weighted feeding and make sure all is going well. I loved it!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

1) yes, about 3-4 weeks before EDD. I also took a breastfeeding class that was very helpful!

2) no, but I took the breastfeeding class.  I don't believe the woman who taught it was an LC but she was a nurse with about 30 years or so of experience and she was very knowledgeable.  Honestly, while meeting with someone might not be necessary, it can't possibly hurt, so if you think it might be helpful to you I'd go for it! Breastfeeding can be really hard at first and the more contacts you have who can help you if you need it, the better. 
  • Options

@christac1010

I took Bradley method classes for the labor and delivery portion. Our hospital also offers a lot of labor and delivery classes. They also offer a lot of general baby classes. We took a lot (I'm a knowledge junkie). Most seemed common sense to me but I'd been around babies being the last of my siblings to have kids but definitely good to have. They were on things like swaddling, bathing, etc. Very good hands on practice with plastic babies. My husband got a lot out of those too as he had barely ever held a baby prior to his own. We also took the breastfeeding class offered through the hospital. I also recommend a first aid/cpr class that trains on babies if you are not already certified. Our hospital advised how far in advance to take them. I think the birthing classes are mid to late 2nd trimester and the baby ones are any time after 27 weeks. We ended up missing one because we scheduled it for 37 weeks and were actually in the hospital delivering at that time.

We didn't meet with anyone ahead of time but took the class at the hospital. That gave us some introduction in to pillow and positions and pumps. Our area has a great group of International Breastfeeding Counselors that host a meeting and encourage expecting moms to come to. I think anything you can do to familiarize yourself with what's to come is helpful because in the moment it's stressful and you want to feed your baby. If you have some heads up to how to handle certain situations it makes those moments a little less frantic. We met with the hospital lactation consultants after he was born. I can pretty much say if I get the same one that was on call when I was discharged I will be telling her to leave the room and declining her assistance. Her bedside manner was terrible. However, the other one's I've met with were good.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I took a BF class and a Labor/Delivery Class. Like a month or two out. The BF class was awesome! so much better than the L&D class. 

Our hospital has a LC service on grounds. They are open all the time and will meet with you before and they are the ones that do the BF class. They also come to each room, meet with you while you're there after birth and are a phone call away if needed (I called a few times). 

BabyFruit Ticker

Team Blue ~ Jan. 20
    DS born 9/4/12
    MMC July 2015
    MMC January 2016
  • Options
    @christac1010 FTM, but I am planning to meet with a lactation consultant prior to delivery. My doula recommended scheduling a private appointment vs taking a class, because the advice will be more personalized. I made an appointment with the LC she recommended for around 36 weeks, and I believe this is covered by insurance. When I called to make the appointment they said they will schedule the first consultation earlier on if there are any specific issues that might need to be addressed, eg, misshapen nipples or prior surgery. 

The hospital I am delivering at also has LCs on staff that will visit after delivery, but I've read mixed reviews about people's experiences there so I'd rather be prepared. 
  • Options
    Moods: Yeahhhhh I still sob at the most random things. 

Birth Class: I didn't take one, we just never had time so I read a few books and that was pretty much it. I felt super prepared though and didn't have any problems with labor or delivery. But I definitely think they're beneficial so if you can swing it take one!

LC: I didn't meet with a LC. The one on staff at the hospital did come to see me the day after I gave birth and asked if I had any questions or wanted any information but we'd pretty much established a good system and routine by then and I didn't have any questions for her. She gave me a card to call if I needed anything but I never did. 
  • Options

Along the same lines as far as breastfeeding, one of my friends, who is also a red head, said she had a lot of difficulty and pain and even bleeding when BF her daughter. When she called an on call LC, she was told that it's typically harder for redheads to BF and that we bleed more. Has anyone else heard of this or are there any redheads with BF experience? It's really amazing all the crazy things people tell  you when you're pregnant...

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Options
    @PMForbie not a redhead myself but a lot of my cousins are and a few of my friends have redheaded babies and I am always shocked at the things that get blamed on red hair! I can't imagine that it has any correlation to breastfeeding!
  • Options
    @katesmama0706, it never ceases to amaze me the things that are associated with being a redhead. The only things that actually have been true for me is needing a lot more anesthesia and having a high pain tolerance. The rest is just rubbish! LOL

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Options
    PMForbie said:

Along the same lines as far as breastfeeding, one of my friends, who is also a red head, said she had a lot of difficulty and pain and even bleeding when BF her daughter. When she called an on call LC, she was told that it's typically harder for redheads to BF and that we bleed more. Has anyone else heard of this or are there any redheads with BF experience? It's really amazing all the crazy things people tell  you when you're pregnant...

Hmm, I'm strawberry blonde, so not a true redhead, but it did take me a good 3 months or so before I felt really confident in being able to nurse.  We did a mix of nursing and pumping until then and that worked well.  Another thing that helped immensely with DD's latch was a nipple shield; I used one pretty regularly until she was probably 6-7 months old.  And as far as bleeding goes, I was definitely still wearing pads at my 6 week check up, but was done with them by my family's beach trip 3 weeks later. Not sure if that's longer than normal or not. 
  • Options

We took a birthing class, but honestly, it wasn't terribly helpful. I think I was about 7-8 months. It lasted most of the day, and it went over all the options. Nothing I didn't know already. 

2. I didn't breastfeed, but I did take a class about it. It was a really helpful class, and gave a lot of good information. I just really, really hated breastfeeding and it made me unbelievably anxious and angry. The hospital we delivered at had onsite LCs, and I had one that was really helpful and supportive, especially after I explained my feelings. And then I had another one, who basically shamed me and made me cry because I didn't like, or want to continue, breastfeeding. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't had my glucose test yet but in a couple weeks I have to give blood for the screening? I think that's what it's called. Anyway... is there anything I should/shouldn't eat before? I'm thinking no sugar so that it doesn't appear that I'm diabetic? Am I being crazy haha!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @christac1010 I didn't take a birthing class. And I wish I had. I didn't meet with a lactation consultant prior to giving birth, nor did I take a class- and I successfully breastfed my daughter for 21 months. I recommend finding an ibclc and making sure that you will have access in the hospital. 
  • Options
    I didn't take a birthing class and while I thought I was prepared with just reading but looking back I wish I would have. 

No breastfeeding class either. The nurses helped me with it while I was at the hospital and was super thankful for them. At 6 weeks I started having what I thought were supply issues and was able to get in touch with the leaders of the local la
    leche league and they were so helpful! If you don't take a class I would definitely find out if there's a local place you can go if you need help. Turns out my period came back at 6 weeks PP and messed with my supply. It wasn't a huge deal, I just knew from then on whenever my
    period came around I might have to pump or let my son cluster feed the first few days to keep my supply up. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    TinaBelcherTinaBelcher member
    edited September 2016
    FTM here but we're signed up for our childbirth class already- it's 3 Mondays in a row in October, and I have the latest due date of anyone in the class but we're the only ones with multiples so our EDD is off by a month anyway. 

I checked out the other classes my hospital offers- Bradley method and natural birthing and hypnobabies, childcare and breastfeeding and parenting 0-6 months and 6-12 months, even yoga and water aerobics! It's pretty rad!
  • Options
    TinaBelcherTinaBelcher member
    edited September 2016
     @PMForbie @AlabamaRedhead its been suggested that we are more sensitive to some types of pain and less sensitive to others- not sure which type breastfeeding falls into but those studies were kind of goofy anyway, I'm not sure I believe it 100%  :p
  • Options
    @newyearsbaby5  I have much less patience.  I can't stand whiny people (grow a freaking spine and deal with it!), people who go on and on about details that I don't care about (I don't care about those inconsequential details, Bubba, move on with your freaking story already!), people who don't listen (do I REALLY HAVE TO REPEAT WHAT I JUST SAID THREE TIMES?!!), people who start talking to me out of the blue like we were in the middle of a conversation about crap they are thinking about (stop thinking out loud and trying to draw me in to your monotonous dialogue!), fake people (I see the real you, you sorry piece of plastic!), people who aren't courteous (ignoring a polite RSVP reminder text takes skill when you are always on your phone -- and reply to other people's texts, Heffer!  If you show up I'm pissing in your punch and being polite to your stinking face!!) and I'm sure there's more but I'll stop there...

...but no, I'm not hormonal at all.  :D>:) bwahhahahahaha

BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    @christac1010 I didn't take any birthing classes and regretted it.  I was on top of all pregnancy information and impressed my doctor with all the research I had done and was able to hold great conversations with him about everything pregnancy-related.  He even thanked me profusely for it and mentioned that frequently he feels like moms have no clue about anything and he has to be their teacher for basic stuff.  When I started labor, I realized I had researched birth plans and what to do in worst case scenarios and how I'd navigate through all the decisions with those what-ifs BUT hadn't done ANY preparation and was completely oblivious on how to basically breathe.  I FELT SO FREAKING STUPID.  Even though we given birth once now, we'll be looking into classes this time.

I asked about seeing a lactarion consultant and was told by multiple doctors that there was no point until I'd given birth and they could help then.  Looking back, I think this was a good call.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    @BriannaE129129 I just went for my 1 hour glucose challenge today.  If that's what you have then you don't need to be fasting as long as you eat more than an hour before you drink the glucose drink.  I had a banana a couple hours before I went in.  Not sure if I passed or not, but I figured I wouldn't change my normal diet just for the test.  If I actually have GDM I want them to be able to diagnose and help treat me.  

If you have the 3 hour test, that's a fasting test.  
  • Options
    @aishmc I don't think I'm going for that yet..this is just a blood test which is why I wasn't sure? I know my friends have done the ones where you drink a liquid but this is just blood so I'm confused!! They didn't give me any specifics..
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @BriannaE129129 ohhhh gotcha.  I was confused.  That's weird that they didn't specify which test you're doing. How are you supposed to prepare at all?
  • Options
    @BriannaE129129 I'd call and ask for specific instructions. I would hate to have to reschedule or re-do a blood test cause I had done something wrong inadvertently. 
  • Options
    My nesting is now in full swing, but I'm getting overwhelmed with all the things that I want to do.  Are there any must dos for around the house before baby arrives?  I'm already planning another deep clean before she arrives, but I feel like I need to prioritize other tasks.  
  • Options
    Weird right? I guess I should call and see what they say, thanks!!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @aishmc I found that having ready to go food was the single most helpful thing for us when we brought LO home, other wise I think it would have been frozen pizza every night for a while! So I would say get your freezer meal ideas in order and maybe even start stocking up on the stuff that lasts a while:)
  • Options
    Do any of you already own the Medela Pump In Style Advanced? Fun fact: I didn't know that some insurances cover a breast pump but I came across an email that I got from babycenter (I think) that provided me a website where I could order the breast pump through and I just got the email that it shipped! I am so excited to receive it!!! For those that have it, do you like it? 

Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• Options
    @aishmc I didn't have the nesting urge until 36 weeks last time. Wash and put away clothing, towels, washcloths.  Start figuring out ways to get to the hospital, arrangements for pets, etc. 
  • Options
    Do any of you already own the Medela Pump In Style Advanced? Fun fact: I didn't know that some insurances cover a breast pump but I came across an email that I got from babycenter (I think) that provided me a website where I could order the breast pump through and I just got the email that it shipped! I am so excited to receive it!!! For those that have it, do you like it? 

I do! Worked great for me for a year and I plan on using it again this time around. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

FYI on pumps, Most (I'm not going to say all because I am pretty sure Tricare doesn't) insurance companies in the US cover a breast pump as a result of the affordable care act so make sure you are checking. The types of pumps and requirements vary from company to company. For example, mine will provide one with every pregnancy, some will provide one every 3 years. Also, some require it to be ordered through a Durable Medical Equipment provider which requires a prescription from your doctor and some won't cover it until 1 month prior to your due date. But definitely look in to it. There are national DME's that you can order from that actually do all the insurance work so there is nothing you have to do to get it. It's pretty sweet.

Pregnancy Ticker