April 2017 Moms
Options

Help with grandparents

I need some advice to help me deal with my parents. Let me give a quick background story...
6 years ago when my husband and I were in the process of buying our first home, my grandmother passed away and left some money to my parents. They offered to match our down payment as a gift, but I think it was also to avoid inheritance tax. Since then, I feel as though they think they can stay here whenever they want for as long as they want. They live in a small town about 3 hours away and often make medical appointments for my dad and younger brother without discussing it with me first. They will give me a day or two notice before they show up, with their dogs, and stay for WEEKS!! Last year they came for thanksgiving and didn't leave till January 7th!! This is causing issues with my husband. I have kindly asked them to group all their appointment into a week and stay only that week. I have asked them not so schedule appointments when school starts as it disrupts my sons schedule. I have tried everything to get them to understand this is hard on my family an my relationship, nothing seems to work. My husband has been more than patient but with baby #3 coming, he is adamant this needs to stop. How can I sternly and effectively put an end to this? We appreciate their contribution to our down payment, but had we know it would have unspoken strings attached we would have never accepted it. This whole situation is causing me to have the worst anxiety! 

Re: Help with grandparents

• Options
    Im sorry. It sounds like you've been very kind and tried to talking to them nicely. If they really won't listen to you then you might have to put your foot down and tell them they can stay for a week then get a hotel. Then you can still spend time together, have them over for dinner but they won't be taking over your home. 
  • Options
    Oh wow. Sounds like they really do think of your house as the 'family house.'  What would they say if you tried to start a discussion on ground rules for visits? E.g. Please can you give two-weeks notice and indicate how long you would like to stay, please no dogs, etc. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    What a pain, I could not let this fly either! Good for you for being so patient so far. I agree with setting a time limit and giving them resources for local places to stay that they would "enjoy checking out" if they choose to stay in town longer. I had to take that route when I had #2 and didn't want everyone staying at my house without me there. Best of luck!

Also, I assume you have a guest space? Maybe you "have to" convert that to something else with new baby coming. The stay won't be so convenient then, so maybe they'll be shorter?
  • Options
    What a tough situation!  We've had to put our feet down many times with family and it's always hard.  But, usually, the anticipation is worse than the actual confrontation. 

The only advice I can give is to not offer reasons. If you say "we can only host you for X amount of time because we need to stick to our routine" or something, they will just zoom in on the reason and fight that or justify why that doesn't matter.  There's a chance you end up getting your words twisted and walk away without your message received.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter your reasons anyway.  It's your house.  If you say they can't stay or can only stay for 2-3 days, you don't need a reason. 

I say this all from personal experience.  Every time we justify and defend ourselves, it goes bad.  When we just cut to the point and say what we need, there's nothing to fight over. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17