TTC after 35
Options

Long luteal phase anyone?

Using digital OPK (where you get at least 2 days of high fertility and then the solid smiley for 2 days upon LH surge), I calculated that I had an 18 day luteal phase which is longer than average from what I've read. Typically the most difference in cycle length has to do with the follicular phase it seems. Granted, we started using OPK in April and then just started back again this month after summer off of TTC, so I only have this April-May cycle so far to go by. But as I'm currently on 15 DPO I'm wondering if this is normal or how it may affect fertility. We will schedule RE in October for first time but wondered if this had come up for anyone else? BTW my cycle averages 28-31 days.

Re: Long luteal phase anyone?

• Options
    @Momifbysea I have the opposite problem...short LPs! 

But I'm wondering if maybe your LP isn't long, but rather you're Oing later than you think.  I just mentioned this on another question, too...OPKs catch a surge, but since it's possible to surge more than once, it might not be the right surge.  Perhaps you're having more than one and catching the first one?  So not only would your LP not be long, but you might be HIO at the wrong time and missing your O.  It's something to rule out, if nothing else :)

Also, temping could help you alleviate that guesswork as well.  The only way to confirm when, or even if, you O'd is by the temp rise after O.  Maybe you could try it for one cycle and see how things are looking?  I know I was resistant at first because I thought it would stress me out, but it turns out that I feel much better knowing that I am O'ing and that I need to do something about my short LP.

Hope this helps!
    Me: 45 OH: 42
    Beloved SS: born 12/2011
    TTC my bio #1/our #2 since January 2016
    **TW** June 2016 had CP **end TW**
    August 2016 - dx with DOR
    Somewhere in here received recommendation to do IVF with donor eggs, elected not to; OH dx with Low T
    May 2017 - began freezing sperm
    June 2017 - OH began treatment for Low T
    July 2017 - began doing 1 IUI via a midwife and 1 at home insemination each cycle
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6259ba
    July 2018 - exhausted frozen sperm, officially NTNP since OH is probably shooting blanks

• Options
    @aurora1973 I just read your other post before this, and yes, I am open to trying temping, just hadn't done it so far. Every cycle or two I am adding things in I feel like but realize there's so much more I could do. Here I thought the digital OPK was pretty foolproof but I see how multiple surges could totally screw our timing. Thanks so much for this info!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have the same cycle length, usually closer to 30 days. I consistently O on day 14 so mine is longer than the average TWW.  My RE did seem to feel like that was longer than usual but she did not say it was an issue.  We only discussed it once briefly because I thought I O'd later in my cycle because of the cycle length, but that ended up not being the case after testing.
    Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally