February 2016 Moms

Baby cries when put in crib

ambdtbambdtb member
edited September 2016 in February 2016 Moms
hi all- for the last month or so we have been experiencing lots of crying when we lay our little one in the crib. This is after he is alseep in our arms. He immediately begins to cry and unless we pick him up he continues to cry. This happens now about 60-70% of the time. Naps and bed time. He is now 7 mo old. I have been to the doctor 2x in the last month. No ear infection or teething (yet).  We let him CIO a couple times and it got better and then by day 3 he was crying the same amount if time he did on day 1 (30 mins). It breaks my heart as I cannot stand listening to him CIO. I know he needs to self sooth but I'm not sure we're doing it correctly. Does anyone have advice?  Thank u!!!! 
Married 4-27-13
TTC for 1.5 yrs
41 yrs old; DH is 37
April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN 
Feb 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 1st IUI, BFN 
Mar 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 2nd IUI, BFN 
May 2015 1st IVF, 19 follicles, 18 eggs retrieved on May 20, 13 fertilized, transferred 1 Blastocyst on May 25=BFP!; froze 2 Blastocysts
Full term healthy baby boy born on 2-11-16
Jan 29, 2018: FET 
Feb 8. 2018: BFP! :)
Mar 6: weak heartbeat. :(

Re: Baby cries when put in crib

• I should note that he has been sleeping in his crib since 10 weeks and sleeping through the night generally - unless he is sick. 
    Married 4-27-13
    TTC for 1.5 yrs
    41 yrs old; DH is 37
    April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
    Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN 
    May 2015 1st IVF, 19 follicles, 18 eggs retrieved on May 20, 13 fertilized, transferred 1 Blastocyst on May 25=BFP!; froze 2 Blastocysts
  • They become much more aware of their surroundings at this age, so that may be a big contributor. We tried CIO (briefly.. Like 45 min for two nights) and it just wasn't for us, but now I can't put her down, even in her favorite rocker, without her waking up crying. It's frustrating, but we're just riding it out. Keep trying. Maybe keep a hand on him after you set him down for a minute, or sleep with his crib sheet a couple nights so it smells like you. Hopefully someone will have the magic answer, but I don't know if one exists when it comes to baby sleep! Sending you sympathy! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited September 2016
    We are going through this too. It started when DD got my cold and that turned into an ear infection. Now I'm blaming the antibiotics' side effects but truthfully I'm so worried that she has formed a new habit of wanting to be held while sleeping. DD is 6.5 months and someone told us it's just a developmental phase she will pass through, but I really need sleep. Only 2 days left of antibiotics so hopefully she will start feeling better and back to normal and we can get some sleep.
  • ambdtbambdtb member
    edited September 2016
    Thanks for your input. I knew there had to be others going through the same. Our pediatrician said he is likely going through a lot developmentally and needs extra support. So we did give him extra rocking and snuggles and rode it out with trying over and over to put him in the crib for 2 weeks. He got sick and so we continued to comfort him of course. Now he is better and so we're back at it again. I do agree that he has a lot going on- he is so much more aware of his toys and surroundings, food etc. I just feel like we're winging it and I feel like he deserves better from us.  Is it normal to feel that way???  I'm not following a plan that we read in a book I'm just going with my gut. You always hear about specific plans and we haven't done that. Books claim they have all of the answers. I don't have time to read a book! Lol 
    Married 4-27-13
    TTC for 1.5 yrs
    41 yrs old; DH is 37
    April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
    Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN 
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited September 2016
    I believe the book plans are great when all the factors are in your favor... A baby who isn't teething, sick, going through a big development or having any other biological issues would probably respond great to these methods. But we have been teething since 3 months (DD doesn't handle it well) and have been sick for about 3 weeks now. Once upon a time she was a great sleeper. I'm hoping when everything is in our favor again we can start moving back to that. Until then, I don't feel I can rob her of the needed snuggles and attention when she's in pain and discomfort. Wishing us all some rest in the near future. These babies will sleep one day no matter what we choose to do :)
  • *disclaimer* CIO did work pretty well for us. Things had been harmonious at bedtime for us until LO started teething. I don't feel comfortable leaving a baby who is in pain/needs support to CIO, so I've been going to him.

Sometimes it takes a few tries, but I tend to nurse him back to sleep and keep trying to put him down in his crib. I leave the room and give him 5-10 min to settle. If this fails 2-3x, I walk around with him a bit to wake him up and press the "reset" button, and then give nursing another try...so far it's worked eventually.

I also have a couple of toys in his crib for him to gnaw on. It doesn't help get him to sleep at bedtime, but when he wakes in the night he'll often entertain himself for a bit and then go back to sleep.

Good luck. I don't have the answer, just things you can try. I'm sure I'll be in your shoes at some point.
  • We are going through this too. Sometimes I can save it when she cries by holding her arms gently by her side and shhing. Naps only really exist on walks in the pushchair or car journeys at the mo! 
  • So now I am totally in your shoes. My LO cries about every time he's put into the crib, whether it's naptime, at bedtime, or after a night feeding. I've been going in and rocking or feeding him back to sleep, but then he's crying as soon as he's back in the crib again. Rinse and repeat for up to 2 hours. Poor baby. And it ain't easy on me, either.

It's been going on for about a week and today I'm starting CIO again. :(
  • ambdtbambdtb member
    edited September 2016
    We ended up doing CIO for 5 mins then try again and then 10 min and then 15 etc. he has only gone to 15 mins once or twice (knock on wood!!). We started singing twinkle twinkle over and over again, standing and rocking all my weight from side to side and the noise machine - little giraffe with water/jungle sounds. This is what is working for us as he falls asleep and place in crib. Fingers crossed we coontinue to be successful!  Hopefully you will find something that works well for you guys!! 
    Married 4-27-13
    TTC for 1.5 yrs
    41 yrs old; DH is 37
    April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
    Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN