February 2017 Moms
Options

Septal defect question

So at my gender scan they spotted what they believe is a hole in my babies heart. Apparently they very often heal on their own. However everything I've read says that the ones diagnosed in ultrasound are usually the larger sort that will require surgery. BTW my scans came out good that the baby doesn't have T18 or 21. I know a septal defect can be a soft marker. But anyhow I go in 4 weeks for a fetal echo in Asheville. Has anyone else ever experienced this or had this problem?

Re: Septal defect question

• Options
    I have not, but will be sending prayers for you! I hope all goes well at your next appointment. Hugs! 
  • Options
    No experience with this but I just wanna say that I'll be sending you positive vibes and will look out for an update from you. ❤️
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @fourPsinapod thank you so much! Staying positive until they know more..... appreciate the prayers very much!
  • Options
    @concreteangell thank you! My apt is OCT 11. I'll be sure to let you guys know.
  • Options
    My cousin was born with a hole in her heart.  There are several different kinds of these defects, I don't remember which one she had. She required surgery few months after birth.  She's healthy now.  Just has a long scar down her chest as a souvenir.  

• Options
    I have not had that experience, but I know it happens and babies are okay with or without surgery.  I hope you get encouraging news at your next scan. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @cheymarie29 I don't have advice but keep us updated. you and your little one are in my thoughts!
  • Options
    Hope all goes well with the echo! Thinking of you.
  • Options
    Praying for you and your LO. There are many types of heart defects, some are extremely minor; try not to stress until you know more!
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    I worked with a woman who's son was born with a hole in his heart that didn't close up during pregnancy. He needed a surgery and he took breathing treatments but other than that he's a perfectly healthy little boy. I think he's three now and it's healing up on its own or a least getting smaller. I don't know if it's going to be the same with you and don't want to scare you, but her little boy is living a very normal healthy life. 

I'll definitely be keeping you in my thoughts and I hope all goes well at your next appt!! <3
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have no advice but I want to say I'll be keeping you and your LO in my thoughts. I hope you update us with positive news!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    A friend's son was diagnosed with a ventricular septal defect before he was born. The doctors were not very optimistic and thought it was really serious based on ultrasound. But after he was born, it wasn't as serious as they thought and he hasn't needed any surgery. 
    I hope everything works out ok for you too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No experience but thinking of you! 
  • Options
    No advice here, just prayers your LO does what he needs to do and everything is okay in the end. Please keep us updated! 
  • Options
    No experience with this, but I'll be keeping you and your baby in my heart as you go in for your echo <3
  • Options
    AfKash said:
    My cousin was born with a hole in her heart.  There are several different kinds of these defects, I don't remember which one she had. She required surgery few months after birth.  She's healthy now.  Just has a long scar down her chest as a souvenir.  
    Oh wow! Thankful to know she's healthy now. Thank you. Glad she's doing good!
  • Options
    Praying for you and your LO. There are many types of heart defects, some are extremely minor; try not to stress until you know more!
    At first I was completely freaked out but I've calmed down alot in the past few days. Just waiting to hear is hard, but I also feel like that gives the baby time to heal. I quit taking my unisom for sickness because I found a report that said I should. It said that there's an antihistamine in it and histamines are needed for healing and tissue/muscle repair. Not sure if its accurate but I'd rather be sick than chance it. Thank you!
  • Options
    My daughter has a hole but they weren't concerned. She sees a cardiologist annually for a different issue and they said it was fine and may eventually close up on it's own. I believe the ones that are concerning are when it's in the ventricle. 
  • Options
    I don't have any input, but I am thinking of you and hoping everything goes okay!
     Me: 27 | DH: 28
    TTC since January 2016

BFP - 3/12/16 - MC 4/5/16
    BFP - 6/11/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Also no advice to give, but you have my prayers @cheymarie29
  • Options
    I JUST clicked over from Facebook, where a friend posted a pre-op picture of her 4-year-old, who is going in for surgery tomorrow for surgery to correct a hole in his heart. I don't know why they waited so long to repair it, but as far as I know he has been a healthy, happy kid and they just want to nip it before he gets older. His mom says that it seems to be a very minor, routine thing (comparatively) and is not at all freaked out. So that's my third-party two cents! Good thoughts for you and your family. 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    @cheymarie29, seems like you have a wonderful attitude. Sending lots of good thoughts your way!

• Options
    Thank you so much everyone for the prayers and the reassurance! I'll update after my echo Oct 11 :)
  • Options
    I was born with an atrial septal defect and had my open heart surgery when I was 4. Luckily, I never really had any issues with it but everyone is different. I don't even really need to go to a cardiologist unless something comes up like a pregnancy.  I automatically get a fetal echo done- had one for my DD and at the end of the month, will have one for this pregnancy. It's hard to do, but don't read up on this stuff/any medical concern until you have a diagnosis- it causes a lot of unnecessary panic. Also too, septal defects don't always close until the end of pregnancy or even after birth. A fetal echo can see the presence of a hole but often times, they are looking for major abnormalities or improper blood flow. I hope this helps and hope your echo goes well. 
  • Options
    GretchypooGretchypoo member
    edited October 2016
  • Options
    @cheymarie29 that's great news!!!  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @cheymarie29 Wonderful News!
  • Options
    Amazing!
  • Options
    That's such great news! 
  • Options
    @cheymarie29, that's awesome! :)

• Options
    Wonderful news!!
  • Options
    Omg, I'm so happy for you!! 

• Options
    Awesome!! Thanks for the update

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yay! 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    @cheymarie29, what great news and what a relief!!
  • Options
    Yeah!!

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    Awesome news!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker