January 2017 Moms
Options

Insurance issue rant

I just got a bill the mail for $1,500 for the birth of my daughter who was born in 2014. 
In 2014, I spent hours on the phone correcting the hospital and insurance company on overbilling and denied claims, but after a year finally got it all sorted.
I paid my annual maximum out of pocket for myself for 2014 and in addition, all costs related to her NICU post birth expenses (we left and were readmitted so new deducible and out of cost max).

I was shocked when I got the bill considering I had paid for everything. I called and asked and the hospital billing dept. They were incredibly rude and refused to call my insurance company to see what the issue was.

I called my insurance company Humana and spent 1.5 hours on hold and they said that all my bills in the system are wrong and it might take 6 months to figure out.  (This is two years after my daughter's birth!) 

It is so frustrating how insurance works in this country. 

My advice to individuals dealing with the system for the first time, make sure you understand your plan clearly. If something does not look right, call and figure out what the problem is. Hospitals overbill all the time, and insurance companies wrongly deny claims all the time. There is no one looking out for you but yourself.

Also, a lot of the times the hospitals will negotiate a lower rate with you if you pay up front and call and ask, this is particularly true if you did not receive adequate service.

I hate to be so cynical, but after dealing with hospital billing departments and insurance companies for so long it is incredibly frustrating.

I need to worry about paying for my new pre-natal baby's medical bills, not fraudulent bills from 2014! 

When will we join the rest of the word and realize that adequate/affordable health care should be provided to all?  How much more simpler things would be and in my opinion better if hospitals focused on care and not billing.

I used to live in Europe and I tell you I received top medical care for $200 a year, a higher salary, more vacation time, and paid less taxes.  

Re: Insurance issue rant

• Options
    I TOTALLY get you on this rant. It sounds infuriating that you're dealing with this after so long.

I had a similar issue with billing at Owen's birth. My insurance company incorrectly created accounts for 2 Owens, born one day apart. They billed everything to the one born a day before my actual Owen was - so all the claims got rejected. Our hospital bill was supposed to be $500 and a few weeks after getting home we received a bill for $25,000. It took hours on the phone and months before H got it all sorted out. And STILL to this day there are lingering charges that pop up from his birth. UGHHHHHH

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Glad I am not the only one. I apologize for the rant, but the fact that insurance companies/billing agencies can't use common sense, and it always to be researched by someone other than you talk to is so frustrating! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so scared for this...our insurance company screws up all the time, and can totally see this happening to me! So sorry you have to deal with this, and hopefully they can sort it out quickly!
  • Options
    girl I am right there with you.  I got a $7000 bill from the hospital for a test I had done when we were doing fertility treatments.  Because the hospital coded it as treatment and not a test they are refusing to pay.  Thought I had it all fixed and they were going to refile until I got ANOTHER bill for $7000 the other day!! nope. nope. nope. 
  • Options
    The hospitals are as much to blame as the insurance. I got a bill saying I still owed 2 years after my son's birth. We had paid the bill off. I went in to talk to the hospital billing department about it. They couldn't make sense of their own billing system, and couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally, they told me I had a credit for that amount even though that was clearly not what the bill said. I finally gave up and asked for that in writing that the bill was paid in full and a credit was owed to us. It took months for them to actually issue a check.
  • Options
    Yes... insurance issues are the worst!!!! It's beyond frustrating having to deal with it and it seems like everyone you talk to that are supposed to "help" are complete idiots. I'm already dreading having to reconcile everything for this baby.  Good luck to all!
    BabyFruit Ticker