September 2015 Moms
Options

Should I find a new daycare?

So my workplace partners with the local YMCA childcare center for subsidized daycare and it's more affordable than anywhere else around. The problem is they are giving me grief about still giving my son breast milk. their reasoning for not wanting to give it to him is a lazy factor I feel. They don't have a fridge in the 1 year old room so his milk had to be put in the fridge in the kitchen ( the teacher thismorning said it was too much trouble to go and get it from the kitchen). If you have to go to the kitchen to get the food for mealtime then what does it matter if you grab his milk when your in the kitchen. She argued that he should only be having cows milk at his age. He just turned 1 on Monday! Am I being absurd with this or does this seem inappropriate?

Re: Should I find a new daycare?

• Options
    Total bull. They just don't want to bother with it anymore. I don't know that I would find a new daycare just yet, is there a higher up you can talk to? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    chaser61chaser61 member
    edited September 2016
    My daycare asked to give cow's milk in addition to BM. They have a fridge in the room so it is not a big deal. Can you offer to pack a cooler with an ice pack to leave in the room as a compromise? I would keep pushing back first and then consider another daycare.

Editing to say that every time I did something against the norm they would push to do it their way. I just stuck to saying no or compromising.
  • Options
    LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited September 2016
    missliz53 said:
    Total bull. They just don't want to bother with it anymore. I don't know that I would find a new daycare just yet, is there a higher up you can talk to? 
    This. Go above their head...someone in management will realize this could blow up on social media and make them look terrible!! And rightfully so because that is awful of them. 
  • Options
    I talked to one of the directors before I picked my son up today and she said she would talk to the teachers. She said absolutely we support breastfeeding mothers. Went in to pick him up and one the teachers (a different on from this morning) told me I couldn't bring breast milk because it wasn't safe for the other kids in the class! She said it was a problem because the kids might share cups and it would be bad if another kid drank my milk. Maybe watch the kids, they shouldn't be allowed to share cups like its no big deal!  Talked to the director about what I was told and she looked shocked and upset for me so hopefully things will get better. If not, I'm starting research now in a better daycare that would be closer to home. 
  • Options
    My daycare is trying to push both my kids to have cows milk and they have a sensitivity to it. Not allergy but just gives them diarrhea if they drink it. Can't take my word for it and give the milk I provided... They have to have a doctors note. I feel your pain!
  • Options
    That is so much worse than what I am dealing with! At least my son doesn't have any  sensativities to it. And the fact that they are still pushing the issue even with a doctors note. So infuriating.  
  • Options
    St3ph4ni3 said:
    I talked to one of the directors before I picked my son up today and she said she would talk to the teachers. She said absolutely we support breastfeeding mothers. Went in to pick him up and one the teachers (a different on from this morning) told me I couldn't bring breast milk because it wasn't safe for the other kids in the class! She said it was a problem because the kids might share cups and it would be bad if another kid drank my milk. Maybe watch the kids, they shouldn't be allowed to share cups like its no big deal!  Talked to the director about what I was told and she looked shocked and upset for me so hopefully things will get better. If not, I'm starting research now in a better daycare that would be closer to home. 
    Ok, I'm totally with you on being able to send whatever drink you want with your kid. However, I think you should calm down on the "Maybe watch the kids" rhetoric. Have you ever tried to feed that many kids at once?  In this age group, it's pretty standard that even in a playgroup with a 1:1 mom to kid ratios someone winds up with someone else's sippy in their mouth. 
  • Options
    @JessicaS0914 This is so true lol! We do twice weekly play dates with my neighbor, we both have two boys ages 3,2,1 and 1 year old. They seem very determined to try out each other's sippy cups, its nearly impossible to keep them all separate.  Even with just my two I go through a bunch a day because one has decided to grab his brothers for some reason. 

I do think OP should be able to use BM if that is what she wants to do but this is a valid problem that I imagine would be difficult to deal with. 
  • Options
    It might be hard to keep the kids from sharing cups (which I've also seen in playdates) but I wouldn't say a kid drinking a bit of her BM would be somehow unsafe for other children...
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    Either way, that's not a good enough 'excuse' to not being BM for your LO! 
  • Options
    I was a teacher in the toddler room and I dealt with this first hand. It was frustrating with the breastmilk moms from time to time because a lot of the teachers agree with "they shouldn't be on it anymore" excuse. If you're not comfortable just leave 
  • Options
    Thank you for all of your feedback ladies. He did great on Monday And the teacher he was with had no problem with him having breast milk especially since he is already experiencing so much change with starting daycare. They only hand out the sippy cups when all the kids are seated at the table for mealtime. I'm amazed at how good they are about sitting around the table in their little chairs, it's so cute!  
  • Options
    This is absolutely ridiculous. They need to feed the baby what you provide end of story. Maybe they should invest in a refrigerator!