October 2016 Moms

FFFC

Re: FFFC

• im from jersey. you can tell. and I don't even bother with punctuation bc carpal tunnel.

• Loading the player...
  • ibabyloveb87ibabyloveb87 member
    edited September 2016
    I don't think I really have a southern accent. I did as a child, but I think it got educated out of me. I don't think I have any kind of strong accent? 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Ha... I definitely have a southern accent. And when I'm around people who have a stronger southern accent than I do, mine gets worse. My bestie used to tease me that I became 33% more southern anytime I spoke with someone in my marketing territory, years ago. My territory consisted of mostly tiny little towns in SC where everyone had a STRONG twang. It doesn't bother me though :)
  • I've been known to draw out my "i's" and be lazy with the way I talk - ESP if I'm around a bunch of other southerners. "I know, right?" Is another phrase I hear in the south that makes no sense, that I am also so guilty of using. If it weren't for the thick Bible Belt and ignorant assholes, I would love living in the south. They taint that for me, though. 
  • @sjo_thetwins The I's are what I get teased about most re: my southern accent. It's the difference between rice said 'r-eye-s' for me and 'rye-s' for someone else... If that makes sense. 
  • I got the TDAP but am do for the flu shot. I speak "country" with poor grammar. I know how to use proper grammar , but its just how we do things in the south. When writing, i try to use proper grammar. English was always one of my strong points, as was spelling. I try not to police others on their mistakes. My grandfather, who raised me, only completed the third grade. He can barely read and he has to sound things out to spell. So I guess that taught me to be a little more understanding. 

Just to let y'all know, I'm very cautious with my spelling and punctuation in my replies. Over the past 8 months or so, I've realized many of you are peeved by such errors. I don't want y'all to think I'm a blooming idiot because of grammatical mistakes. 
    Hahaha I'm sorry @AshleyGemini24.....but.....I just....have to ............*due

Probably just a mistake, but I was giggling at it within the context of this thread. If it makes you feel better, I needed my old boss to sign a form that I had all my hours. I thanked him for the old position saying it made me super detail oriented going on and on, and in my actual request I had the WRONG YEAR for the dates I had worked there. Such a terrible mistake. I was so embarrassed. 
  • This sentence alone is my full southern accent. "Ya'll, I'm fixin' to make a riiiiiight at the liiiiiight." (where I drag out my I's) 

And I usually dont care about punctuation as much because it's a message board and it's usually just a flow of thoughts to get my point across. I'm not writing a college paper to you ladies. You get the lazy me. LOL
  • @AshleyGemini24
    I'm usually super cautious about what I type, but I've found that my pregnancy brain can't be bothered with proofreading at its normal level.  I KNOW the rules, it's just that my brain has different priorities or something right now.  (I've double checked its/it's in this email, and it's so much harder than usual!  And there ya go, this is NOT an email.  See what I mean!)
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • I've never gotten a flu shot, and they don't do them here. I think there are probably different flu strains here anyway? 
    Though I once got Typhoid fever. OH MY GOSH. WORST THING EVER. Seriously. If you are traveling to a country where Typhoid exists get the vaccine. And it needs to be renewed every 2 years (something I didn't know)
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • @simcal18 My bad, I didn't research the credibility of the linked website I read that from. That's not really the point though because my question wasn't whether it's CDC recommended or whether anyone should be getting it or not. I vaccinate, I'm not against it, clearly not the point. As far as saying you "highly doubt I don't know anyone that has gotten it during pregnancy." What do you think then? That I've really gotten it during all of my pregnancies and everyone I know has too and I'm just here to argue for shits and giggles? Lol It has honestly, believe it or not, never been mentioned to me during any pregnancy. I've never heard anyone in real life, only here on the bump, talk about getting a tdap shot during pregnancy. I asked my best friend that also has 3 babies if she has ever gotten one. She said no, she's never heard it either. Again, I'm not arguing it, I am genuinely curious if all of you are hearing from your doctor or if you're getting it because everybody else is on here talking about it. I just thought if it's "standard medical care", like you said, that everyone would be hearing it from their doctors and everyone would know they're getting it like a rhogam shot or the strep b swap. Has anyone NOT heard it from their doctor? Or am I the only one over here getting substandard medical care? Lol

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • bnsmith85 said:
    @chriscasey33 after having the flu and knowing just how horrible it is, does it also irk you when people call out of work because they have the flu and then they're back in like a day. Ummmm.... No. You didn't have the flu. You have a cold, you pansy. Get it together. 
    I'm not sure why it makes me so ragey when people who clearly don't have the flu say that they do, but it does lol
    Ugh, yes!  The flu is not something you get over in a day.  I remember it hit me like a truck.  One minute I was at work and the next I was shivering and pale and sweaty and had to get home immediately.  I was out for a week, then there was the tag along bronchitis that plagued me for weeks after.  

Slightly related, there are people at my work that always seem to have a "cold" and I just want to smack them and tell them "you have allergies. Take some damn allergy medicine."  I live in a valley where all the allergens collect, so pretty much everyone suffers from allergies year round.  I admit I was even guilty myself of thinking I had constant colds, but then I got an actual cold and I was like "huh, this is different." lol.  I had just been getting sinus infection after sinus infection from not taking care of my allergies.
    DD 10/19/2016
  • @annabenanna I didn't think I'd be a baby wearer either. But I was insistent about getting my Boba or whatever it's called. Mostly for DH since his time with baby will be limited, but I'm excited to use it too!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• @kelliott09, my previous OB didn't mention the shot once to me, however I was 30 weeks pregnant when I last saw her.  So I dunno.  It seemed the furthest from her mind though.  
  • krzyriver said:
    @annabenanna I didn't think I'd be a baby wearer either. But I was insistent about getting my Boba or whatever it's called. Mostly for DH since his time with baby will be limited, but I'm excited to use it too!
    I loooovvveee my Boba!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @simcal18 I think I love you.  I actually started reading the abstracts that the Mercola article cited and then realized, 'crap, I should be working.'  Glad someone else summed up my feelings.  I get the flu shot every year, and one year I came down with the flu anyway.  (I'm convinced it was the swine flu, which was not included in the vaccine that year).  It was terrible.  Like a week of being in bed with a delirious fever and body aches/chills.  I still will always get my flu shot, because that shit was the worst, and even though it's not 100% effective against all strains of flu that are floating around, I'd rather take those chances.  DH also has to get his because he has asthma and is one of those people that can get serious complications from influenza.
    The flu is the fucking worst.  Just God awful.  When I had it I tried to walk to a pharmacy 2 1/2 city blocks away for medicine, Gatorade, and tissues.  By the time I was done shopping I was so weak and feverish that I had to take the bus back home -- again, 2 1/2 city blocks away.  I felt like I was about to collapse.  It was the first week of my second semester of law school and I was out of class and in bed for an entire week.

No doubt there are diseases that probably make you feel worse -- malaria, Typhoid fever (@kmolleltz !!!), etc. etc.  But because the flu is so common, I think people forget how bad it can really be.  The CDC doesn't track all flu deaths so it's hard to say how many people it kills in the US every year, but estimates range from anywhere between 3,000-49,000.  It drives me crazy when people say "I'm sick with a cold or flu."  No.  If you don't know whether you have a cold or the flu -- you have a cold.  If you don't know whether you've had the flu before -- you haven't had it.  Unless you have an exceedingly mild strain of flu, having it isn't an experience that you easily forget.  It is a serious disease and one of the most significant worldwide public health challenges that we face today.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DH and I:  Early/mid 30s
    Married 7/15
    TTC #1 as of 8/15
    BFP 11/21/15 -- MC confirmed 12/1/15
    BFP #2 2/18/16
  • @kelliott09
    It may be that pertussis is experiencing a resurgence, so the standard of practice is not the same everywhere, or is still catching up.  The CDC website about the vaccine says that the newer forms may not offer as much protection (in terms of length of time) as the older form of the vaccine, so that may be why it's becoming more common to recommend women be boosted to provide protection to their newborns.
    DD 10/19/2016
  • @kelliott09, my previous OB didn't mention the shot once to me, however I was 30 weeks pregnant when I last saw her.  So I dunno.  It seemed the furthest from her mind though.  
    My doc didn't bring it up until my 32 week appointment. She said to make sure I got it before 36 weeks. I had to go to my primary as they don't administer it at the OBs office. She didn't mention getting the flu shot during pregnancy though, I was just planning to get it at my annual physical like I did last year but that isn't until January. I plan to ask at my next appointment. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• krzyriver said:
    @annabenanna I didn't think I'd be a baby wearer either. But I was insistent about getting my Boba or whatever it's called. Mostly for DH since his time with baby will be limited, but I'm excited to use it too!
    I loooovvveee my Boba!
    My sister is giving me her Boba 4g when I see her in December! :)  
  • Aww, man. I thought I was going to be able to skip the TDAP since I had it a few years ago...nope! Apparently it's an every pregnancy kind of thing.  That shot always makes me sick for a couple of days (usually dizzy and nauseous.) Never been sick after a flu shot, though...
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • bnsmith85 said:
    @chriscasey33 after having the flu and knowing just how horrible it is, does it also irk you when people call out of work because they have the flu and then they're back in like a day. Ummmm.... No. You didn't have the flu. You have a cold, you pansy. Get it together. 
    I'm not sure why it makes me so ragey when people who clearly don't have the flu say that they do, but it does lol
    Ugh, yes!  The flu is not something you get over in a day.  I remember it hit me like a truck.  One minute I was at work and the next I was shivering and pale and sweaty and had to get home immediately.  I was out for a week, then there was the tag along bronchitis that plagued me for weeks after.  
    @bnsmith85 @chriscasey33  Can I just say how happy the two of you have made me because now I know I'm not the only one out there who gets pissed off when people don't/can't distinguish between a cold and the flu?  Seriously.  Made my day.  I think it makes me ragey because calling the common cold a "flu" discounts how serious the flu actually is.

@kelliott09 - I said I doubted that you knew anyone who had had gotten a TDAP shot while pregnant because it's not exactly something people go around talking about in everyday conversation, so unless you specifically asked everyone around you who has ever been pregnant about whether they got a TDAP shot, it would be impossible to know if you knew anyone who had gotten one.  Maybe you meant to say that you'd never heard of a pregnant woman getting one?  In any event, I have no idea why your OB hasn't offered you one.  My OB brought it up at my very first prenatal appointment (I think) and then strongly offered it at my 28 week appointment, so it was pretty clear what the expectation was, but even if my OB hadn't brought it up I would have asked for one because I'd heard of the benefits even before I got pregnant.  I would ask your OB about it at the next visit and see if there's a reason they haven't offered it  -- maybe they have some sort of rationale, but it seems odd to me.  Do you and your friend go to the same OB?  Are you in the US?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

DH and I:  Early/mid 30s
    Married 7/15
    TTC #1 as of 8/15
    BFP 11/21/15 -- MC confirmed 12/1/15
    BFP #2 2/18/16
  • @kelliott09 I am not sure if this helps, but my dd was born in 2013 and at that point they gave me the dtap the day after she was born, not during my pregnancy. 

And going back further, I don't think it was a combined booster (I don't know for sure!!) but I remember getting my tetanus shot and they called it a tetanus shot it wasn't 'dtap' so perhaps you were getting the different shots all along but not the combined form? 
  • @kelliot09 My doctor brought it up to me fairly early in my pregnancy and I think I got it the same day they did my glucose test.
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @annabenanna The only thing keeping me from buying every carrier out there is the look my husband gives me when I start talking about a new one.  I'm just happy he didn't fight me when I bought my Tula ring sling.

@kelliott09 It's possible that emphasis on the Tdap shot is regional or more recent than your friends' pregnancies.  I'm in Seattle and there was a pertussis outbreak in my state in 2011-2012 (including eight deaths), so there was a big push for education and vaccination for all pregnant women and anyone who would be around a baby.  But when I told my parents they would need to make sure they were up-to-date (they weren't, but they got the boosters willingly), they had never heard of the need for it.  When my sister had her kids 7 and 9 years ago and in Wisconsin, it wasn't a thing.
  • @simcal18 Yes, I'm in the US. And yes, we do go to the same OB now but we haven't always. I saw a different doctor with my first baby and he didn't mention it either. Like I said, I'm going to ask at my next appt because I'm curious too. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @maf9866 I just had my last in 2014, it wasn't mentioned then either and the only shot I've ever had during pregnancy is the rhogam shot. I don't know, I'm interested now in what my doctor's thoughts are on it. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @ignoscemihi I've wondered too if it was a regional thing. I'm not sure why but I suppose it's possible. As far as the timing of the recommendation, my first was in 2003 so I can see if it wasn't a thing then but I just had a baby in 2014 and it wasn't mentioned. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • emmaaa said:
    Another southern lady here! I don't write like I talk usually, especially in academic or professional settings. And like @bamacoop I have an interview accent, work accent, and normal accent. Southern grammar is a real thing, y'all.

Also, I didn't notice any of y'all do this, but I think it's hilarious when people try to point out someone's poor grammar but misspell the word "grammar" and spell it like "grammer."
    I had to double back and make sure I didn't mispell. 
  • emmaaa said:
    Another southern lady here! I don't write like I talk usually, especially in academic or professional settings. And like @bamacoop I have an interview accent, work accent, and normal accent. Southern grammar is a real thing, y'all.

Also, I didn't notice any of y'all do this, but I think it's hilarious when people try to point out someone's poor grammar but misspell the word "grammar" and spell it like "grammer."
    I had to double back and make sure I didn't mispell. 
    HAHA! I had to go back and look at mine and I had at least 3 typos. *shrugs*
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I got the TDAP but am do for the flu shot. I speak "country" with poor grammar. I know how to use proper grammar , but its just how we do things in the south. When writing, i try to use proper grammar. English was always one of my strong points, as was spelling. I try not to police others on their mistakes. My grandfather, who raised me, only completed the third grade. He can barely read and he has to sound things out to spell. So I guess that taught me to be a little more understanding. 

Just to let y'all know, I'm very cautious with my spelling and punctuation in my replies. Over the past 8 months or so, I've realized many of you are peeved by such errors. I don't want y'all to think I'm a blooming idiot because of grammatical mistakes. 
    Hahaha I'm sorry @AshleyGemini24.....but.....I just....have to ............*due

Probably just a mistake, but I was giggling at it within the context of this thread. If it makes you feel better, I needed my old boss to sign a form that I had all my hours. I thanked him for the old position saying it made me super detail oriented going on and on, and in my actual request I had the WRONG YEAR for the dates I had worked there. Such a terrible mistake. I was so embarrassed. 
    Wow. Proven blooming idiot here. How in the hell did i mess that one up?  Lol. Thanks for pointing it out, and yes it was a mistake. 
  • I also don't bother with the flu shot. The reason for me is because they basically just guess at what strains are going to be prevalent that year. While I'm all for prevention, I know when they vaccinate for polio that it's for polio and I'm safe. When they vaccinate me for the flu though, it just seems like it's along the same lines of the abuse of antibiotics and it's going to get out of hand, and we'll get super-flus. Hopefully not the case, but it just doesn't seem like its worth it to me. I might get DS vaccinated, though, since he'll be so tiny.

I got the TDAP because it basically like giving DS a pre-vaccination. He'll protected bythat vaccine until he can get his own at like 2 months. I'm not as worried about family (I know DD is up to date and I just had DH check, he got his tetanus boosted but he was good on the DAP part). I did NOT get it with DD (it wasn't offered to me, but that was 7 years ago) and we were fine being around family and friends. Here's the articles I based my decision on for the TDAP, both from the National Institute of Health.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3653651/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27091823

I also wear leggings as pants, but always with a shirt that covers my butt and any potential camel toe the stretchy pants may be producing.

I am a grammar nazi. I'm an administrator for engineers, who are magical math whizzes, but all type like they speak. I practically demand that any official letters or anything go through me before they go out to customers or vendors, just because I can't stand the idea of something going out there with errors on it. Pregnancy brain has made that one a little more difficult, as lately some of the errors have been mine because PG brain has caused me to simply miss them...
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!