March 2017 Moms
Options

NyQuil yay or nay

getting conflicting results...I don't have robatussin and I can't breathe! Lots of people we given the ok others were told no die to the alcohol. I don't plan on chugging the whole bottle or using for a long period of time. What do ya think?

Re: NyQuil yay or nay

• Options
    No idea about the NyQuil :( 

My only advice is that if it is a no go try a shower for temporary relief and sleeping sitting up. 

If alcohol is the only reason you can't take it, do it! I just continued there are sleep aids or anything in it that are not safe for pregnancy so I hesitate to give a firm ok. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would personally say no. When I was pregnant with DD 9 yes ago I got sick and they pretty much said I couldn't take anything. Times may have changed since then so I would just double check with doc
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know if you can buy shea butter where you live (the real yellow or white butter, not a lotion or cream). But I recently learned it is magic for decongesting yourself. I had similar concerns about Vicks vapo rub. A little SB inside your nostrils and a little on top of your nose. Good luck! I'm recovering from a cold now - congestion sucks!
  • Options
    The packet from my OB says the following are OK:

Stuffy/Runny Nose:
    Sudafed:  Follow the package directions.  If you prefer you may take the 12hr.
    Benadryl:  25mg every 4-6 hrs 

Sore Throat:
    Cepacol lozenges
    Chloraseptic spray
    Warm salt water gargle

Cough:  Robitussin DM - Follow directions on bottle

Take as little of any medication as it takes to feel better.

The ingredients in NyQuil are tylenol (650mg), Unisom (25mg), and dextromethorphan (30mg).

Dextromethorpan is in Robitussin DM but a lower dose (20mg).

I would probably just take the robitussin DM and a unisom or benadryl to help me sleep if I was in your situation.  You should probably check with your doctor before taking it if it's not on a list provided to you.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    sunshine507sunshine507 member
    edited September 2016
    I wouldn't, based on what I've gotten from my docs. Their info packet lists these as meds that are OK (although I will say this is from the doctors I'm leaving because they're horrible): 
    "Cough: Cough Drops, Throat Sprays, Robitussen DM, Mucinex, Mucinex D, Mucinex PM
    Congestion: Saline Nasal Mist, Sudafed"

+1 for a shower for temporary relief, Unisom if you need help sleeping. You can find these peppermint shower bombs can help too. Ginger, sriracha, and pho have all helped open my sinuses lately. 

Edited because words are hard. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    my info from RE says it's ok, for not longer than 1 week, I was using dayquil for a few days
    **~*Noelle*~**
    Happily Wed DH in May 2010
    June 2012: DD#1 born after countless fertility cycles, our 4 year old miracle 
    TTC #2: current cycle: 225iu Menopur for 4 weeks, Ovidrel Trigger= BFP! Beta #1; 333, Beta #2 713! 1st u/s showed TWINS (7/18)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    According to my doc, these are the approved meds for allergies, colds, and coughs (during pregnancy):
    Actifed
    BenadrylChloraseptic Spray
    Claritin (regular or Redi-tabs)
    Claritin D
    Dextromethorphan
    Dimetapp
    Guaifenesin
    Mucinex
    Robitussin (any)/
    Generics Saline Nasal Spray
    Sudafed
    Tylenol based cold products